A helping hand...or not

I went with my husband to the doctor today and while I was sitting in the waiting room alone, I tried to put my jacket around my shoulders. With my sling on, it's rather difficult. I don't like to ask for help if I can do things myself, but after a few tries to just get it around me, I gave up. I noticed there were two women just across and to the right of me. I glanced at them while I was trying to get the jacket settled and although I know they saw me, neither one offered to help me. Of course the waiting room was full of people, but they were the only ones not engrossed in their cell phones. It really hurt my feelings that they just sat there and never offered a hand, even after they saw I finally gave up. I would have helped someone in a heartbeat. When my husband came back, I told him what happened and that I really wanted to say to them, "Why didn't you offer to help me when you obviously saw that I needed it? You better hope you never need any help yourself." But my husband said to just let it go. It still bugs me.
I would have helpednyou if i was there. Sad that people are that way. They will only realize it when it happens to them.
Since they were past middle age, you'd think they would have offered.
@1creekgirl yes you would think so.
I know I would have helped you for sure.
I know you would have, Marlina.
I wonder if they felt that you might refuse help ?- I would have offered anyway
Right, a person can offer in a kind way and most people would appreciate the offer even if they refused it.
That's terrible that they didn't offer to help you. =( I look for people while I am out and about that might need my help, I love helping others though.
I feel the same. I'm always pleased when I can help someone.
I to would have helped you. People are becoming hard and not caring.
I know you're the kind of person who would have helped right away. I just don't get those women today.
• Denmark
You should have addressed them directly. I don't understand why some people have problems asking for help. What's wrong with that?
You could be right, but I just hate to ask for help. If it's really important, I will, but this just didn't seem that urgent, especially since they had been watching and just sat there.
• Denmark
@1creekgirl Especially because they were watching and not helping! Asking them may have made them a bit ashamed which would have done them good.
@MALUSE That's a good idea!
It is so hard to believe that they did not help you. I would have been quite disappointed too.
I tried not to be disappointed, but I was.
I certainly would have offered to help if I saw someone struggling like you were. I find it rude that those women ignored you and it would just have been common courtesy and good manners to assist
That's how I felt.
@xFiacre (10391)
@1creekgirl People can be very disengaged from those around them. Wouldn't surprise me if they had got out their phones to film your struggles but they dont seem to feel any responsibility towards others.
Well, thank goodness they didn't film me! I would have told them what I thought, I don't care what my husband said.
@YrNemo (7625)
Bad luck I was not around. I am the type who always offer help before people even ask.
I know you would have helped me.
@YrNemo (7625)
• Portland, Connecticut
I would have offered to help as well, maybe they just didn't want to be rejected, that is a big fear for some people.
True, but I don't think I looked threatening!
Some people are really inconsiderate. It would have bugged me too.
Thanks, Judy.
Some people gt offended when strangers offer help. That could be one reason.
I'm sure some people do, but generally here in the south, offers of help are more expected and appreciated.
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I can't believe how thoughtless people can be! When it's obvious that someone is struggling to do something, out of shear concern, a person should offer to help:( That's terrible, they didn't
That's how I felt. I tried to convince myself they didn't see me, but I know they did. And they were older ladies who you would think would know better!
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@1creekgirl Not to mention, if you were sitting there and observed a woman struggling to get her coat on. What would YOU have done? You would have stood up and helped her, or maybe asked if you could help. You would have cared!
@kobesbuddy You and I would have offered.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Wow what ignorance..I believe you tho Vicki..people are all about being unhelpful now it seems. Sorry you experienced it. I know it stings. xo
I appreciate the kind words, Tiara. I know you would have helped me.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@1creekgirl Of course in a heartbeat Vicki..God Bless xo
@LoriAMoore (9744)
What the heck is wrong with people? I was in the waiting room a couple of weeks ago and a woman came out and her daughter helped her into a wheelchair and they were headed out, but I know from experience that it's hard to push somebody and also get a door open (it wasn't an automatic door) so I hopped up to open the door for them and they said thank you, but in a room full of 10 people, I was the only one to offer to help.
It's so sad to see how so many people are today, isn't it?
@Srbageldog (4894)
Many people are hesitant to offer help to anyone these days, because people get offended if you offer to help them.
Maybe some do, but I'd rather take a chance and offer.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
People tend to avoid touching strangers in a doctor's waiting room.
I hadn't thought about germs or diseases. I still would help someone with a jacket.
That's a shame. I would have quietly asked you if you'd like a hand since you obviously only have the use of just the 1 arm. Its the little things that we can do for each other that can make or break a person's day isn't it?
It really is the small acts that count. I was sitting in the waiting room for my pt today and a lady beside me was trying to get her sweater on, so of course I helped her and she appreciated it.
@sjvg1976 (13962)
People have become a bit selfish these days.
That's very true.