Have You Gotten a Shingles Shot?

When I had my last appointment with my doctor he recommended that I get a shingles shot. I know that shingles is very painful but I am hesitant to get the shot. I am going to call my local Walgreens tomorrow to see what they will charge for the shot because I don't think its covered by Medicare (maybe partial?). I see so many commercials on television for the shingles shot but this is the first time my doctor recommended that I get it. So, this leads me to my question....do you intend to or have you gotten a shingles shot?
I don't really understand it. If you've had the chicken pox, then the virus is already inside of your spinal cord lying dormant. I don't see what a vaccine is going to do. I need to do some research on this.
I did have chicken pox when I was a kid so I'm totally confused about the shingles shot
@Marilynda1225 Me too. I had chicken pox twice so I have a healthy dose of the virus in my system. I don't understand how a shingles vaccine will prevent an outbreak for those who have actually had chicken pox. It is the same virus that we have already had. Vaccinating us against us is like too late.
@NJChicaa I agree 100%
@Morleyhunt (15946)
Do your research..by all accounts the shot is good for five years...you can't get another shot (not sure if this is correct...but it's what I heard)...this makes me wonder if it's worthwhile to get the shot...am I exposed to chicken pox? Am I under a lot of stress....hmm. All factors to consider. I've opted to take my chances with shingles.
You make some good points and I'm not exposed to chicken pox
The shingles vaccine only needs to be given once.
@MorleyHunt. Did you never have chicken pox?
No I never got one. I heard it's quite painful though.
I know shingles are very painful
The shingles shot is not painful. It is like any other shot with a needle. I have friends who have gotten them and wish I had listened to them. Like a flu shot it might feel sore for a day.
My mother had it and a friend was hospitalised for several weeks with it. Vin and I have both had the shots. It can be quite severe.
I know shingles can be horrible and I certainly don't want them. Guess I should consider getting the shot
@Marilynda1225 I think you should but it's not really for me to say. After seeing my friend so sick that was enough for me. Once you get it it never really goes away it seems although any further outbreaks are less severe.
@JudyEv I'm definitely going to have to give this some serious thought. Thanks so much for you input. I really do appreciate it
No I have not.They told me I was too old to get this.but do not want it,No one in my family had it. If you had shingles in your family.Should get it.
I didn't know there was an age limit for the shot. No one in my family had shingles
@Marilynda1225 The shot is recommended at age 60.
@FourWalls (9521)
No. I’ve never had chicken pox.
That's what confuses me . Is the shingles shot for those who had chicken pox or never had it
@Marilynda1225 I heard even if you never had chicken pox you can still get shingles.
@jstory07 I had chicken pox when I was a kid and so did all my children
I got the shingles shot when I turned 60. I never had the chickenpox but you can get shingles anyway. And I do not want that.
I certainly don't want shingles
@Marilynda1225 I heard it can be painful.
@jstory07 yes, I know someone who had it and it was very bad
@Luap1050 (175)
I got shingles once when I was in my mid 40's! I worked a stressful job and was told that could have been the trigger at such a young age. Thankfully it wasnt the worst of cases, but bad enough. I was convinced I had poison Ivy !...lol ...I am now 60 and have had no recurrence. I don't know if a shingles vaccine is even effective if you have had it once?
I don't know the effectiveness either and it's just very confusing. I had chicken pox when I was a kid and have never had an inkling of shingles in the years since. I don't know if a shot would help or not. I'm sorry to hear that you had shingles when you were in your 40's as I know it's very painful. Happy to hear that you haven't had a recurrence and hope you never do. I appreciate your input
I asked my doctor about that getting a shot after having shingles and he did not recommend it.
Yes. I got it a couple of years ago. It cost about $100 I think.
I figured it would be expensive
@Marilynda1225 It depending on health insurance. Since it is a preventative measure it could be free.
I asked my dad if he would get one, but he said his insurance didn't cover it. I wish he would anyway. The people I know who had shingles say it's a nightmare.
I'm not basing my decision wholly on what the cost is but if it's too pricey I will probably have to pass on it. I also know people who have had shingles and it's very painful. Hope your dad stays well and doesn't need the shot
I had a wellness visit with my doctor in the first week of October, and he told me that I don't need one for 14 years when I turn 65 then i need another pneumonia as i and the before 65 one that is the new guidelines. I get another one at 65 then i forget the new guideline for that. I think it would be worth it to avoid the pain of shingles. I do not see why social security would not pay for it when it is so important as it would save them paying for the one who had to be treated for shingles other than just giving one people turn 65 years old. But I don't know about things like that!
I'm over 65 and haven't had a pneumonia shot and the doctor didn't even suggest it. You would think they would stress the importance of such things. I'm going to call my local pharmacy (Walgreens) and see what it costs and take it from there. I appreciate your input
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
No, I won't be getting the shingles shot. I did get a pneumonia and a flu shot.
I got a pneumonia shot to nut not a flu shot.
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@jstory07 I had pneumonia twice, so have to get that shot each year.
@kobesbuddy you're smart to get the pneumonia shot if you've had pneumonia. I haven't had either the flu shot or pneumonia shot
No, I am not quite at the age yet where it is recommended..but I plan to when I reach 65. It is quite costly. Once you have the shot is it good forever or does it have to be redone periodically?
One time according to the source I read.
@dgobucks226 Well that's good to know!
I had the shingles quite a few years ago and it was in my eye. Extremely painful. I don't know if I should get a shot or not either.
It's so confusing isn't it. I'm sorry you had shingles in your eye. That must have been horrible
Yes, we made sure we had the shingles shot.
@1creekgirl (8381)
I had the shot years ago. A few years later, I got Shingles, but it was a milder case than it would have been without the vaccine. If you ever get a symptom of Shingles, it's very important to start treatment right away.
@dgobucks226 (6134)
Get the shot! I did not and got shingles. The pain was so horrible I cried and it took 2 months before I was finally better. If your Doctor is recommending it please follow his advise. The alternative (shingles) is miserable and could be disabling.
I got shingles a year ago, though it only affected my arm. That was bad enough - it's like toothache on your skin. I didn't even know you could get a shot for it. I might enquire about it as shingles is very painful.
• Portland, Connecticut
Both my husband and I got a Shingles shot and yes our Medicare Advantage program covered it.
@peachpurple (9949)
nope, it is not compulsory here