The most 2017 student excuse for not working on a study guide

In our district students have "quarterly exams" which consist of 20% of their marking period grade. I put the study guide up on the Google Classroom so they could start working on it last week during their week off but of course they did not do that. Today, after the work I assigned was finished, I told them to continue (aka START) working on the study guides for Wednesday's exam. After like 10 minutes I looked over and saw a student with his head down. I said to him "what are you doing? Why aren't you working on the study guide?" In response I received the most EPIC 2017 excuse for a student not doing work: "I'm out of data" (on their cell phone). I was floored. Momentarily speechless. Stunned. When I finally got over my shock, I said "there is a textbook and there is your notebook. They both work." I've tried to impress upon my students that they can't just Google the answers to their work as they won't be the ones that I am looking for. The answers I want are the ones that I taught. Have students really lost the ability to use a textbook and notebook?
Yes they have, they want machines to do the work for them. These children will run the world one day, that is scary!
No. They won't be able to.
Exactly
Yesm it is scary @andriaperry
The way of the future as students will rely on machines to read and add and think for them.
They get dumber each year.
@BarBaraPrz (17242)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Seems like it.
It is absurd!
@BarBaraPrz (17242)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@NJChicaa Totally. The stuff of science fiction stories.
• Preston, England
yes, many can't function if the answer isn't on Wikipedia
• Eugene, Oregon
Some no doubt have and some are so lazy there is no motivating them.
I would say, yes they have. It sounds like that student is clueless about how to study. When I was in school- college - in the 90's, they still taught students how to study, and it wasn't with a cell phone or computer, it was with textbook, paper, and pen/pencil.
@cahaya1983 (7989)
That would win the "most millennial excuse for not doing work" award for sure.