Animal Rescue- Question of the Day

By DB
@dgobucks226 (10684)
We recently had a big deal recently when a deer wandered onto one of our New Jersey (USA) beaches and into the ocean. We are used to seeing deer crossing highways, in wooded areas, even on golf courses, but many residents were surprised to see one "riding the surf" at sunrise at the beach. After awhile, people became concerned about the deers safety and called the police to the scene. Apparantly, the beachgoers were not aware that a deer is an excellent swimmer. Which brings me to my question of the day.... If you had to choose between saving an animal or person who would you save? You cannot save them both!!!! I know that is a going to be a real dilemma for animal lovers, so you can provide your own scenarios, (ie: your pet, a wild animal, a stranger, a friend) however it will ease your conscience in making that choice. That should make for some interesting comments for those who dare answer, lol. By the way, here is a photo of that deer in the water. I bet this "buck can hang ten" if someone gave him a surfboard. News source and photo- NJ 101.5
I wonder if he was hot or disorientated or what.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
I think he wanted to cool off from an unseasonably warm day.
@dgobucks226 We sometimes see cows standing in the water in dams on farms too but only on hot days.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
@JudyEv Why not? A little skinny dipping never hurt anyone That is neat!
It depends who was the human and, who was the animal, but not a choice I would want to make.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Isn't that true to a point. A horrible person or criminal maybe I go for the animal?
It depends upon who the human is.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Yes, a well made point! A criminal maybe not so quick to help. A bear in the wilderness who could still harm you, I would have to save the human.
No questions asked, I would save a person first. We have a nephew that used to be on the road kill crew for our municipality. He told us that the majority of his pick ups were for deer that had drowned.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Guess we should have that American deer in the photo come out and provide swimming lessons
@FayeHazel (16506)
Hm, it's weird that the deer wanted to be in the water, but you're right, he's in no danger as they can swim. Oh... that's interesting. What levels of danger are the person and the animal in? Is it something like -- if unaided: the animal will die - but the person will only have a minor injury? In that case I would help the animal. Or is it that they will both die? And you can only save one? In that case I would help the person.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Yes, they would both die. I was listening to responses on a call in show on the subject. Thought it would be something interesting to ask. It was weird it was not summer, but it was during one of our warmer October days, so I guess the deer wanted to cool off?
@FayeHazel (16506)
@dgobucks226 It is a good discussion topic.... inventive. Lol, just wanted to go for a swim maybe?
@dgobucks226 (10684)
@FayeHazel Nothing wrong with a little skinny dipping. Guess the deer was thinking, if humans can do it, why not me? Of course, I'm not sure I don't speak deer
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
A critter without a doubt @dgobucks226 .
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Especially a cute critter! Thanks for your input Nanette!
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
@peachpurple (12370)
I couldn't swim and don't know how, so I won't be saving either !
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Maybe you could find a rope somewhere and lasso your choice?
@peachpurple (12370)
@dgobucks226 yeah i shiuld lasso the big blue whale
@cahaya1983 (10060)
That's a very difficult question for sure so I think I'd refrain from answering. I can imagine how the sight of a deer swimming would surprise those residents!
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Very hard question! Yes, deer in the ocean is not something you see everyday, lol.
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
The answer is really very simple. Which one would you want to eat?
@dgobucks226 (10684)
There you go! Ha, well played my friend
Well obviously I would save the person..but my heart would be with the animal..
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Excellent response.
Human for sure.
I did not know that deers knew how to swim. I would save an animal.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Yes, excellent swimmers! Never knew that myself? Who expects a deer to go swimming? If I had a pet that would be my first concern.
@dgobucks226 DB, your first concern would be if they could swin?
@dgobucks226 (10684)
@Hannihar That is true! It is a very difficult decision to make. You would have to weigh all the factors if possible.
@kobesbuddy (40784)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I had no idea deer are excellent swimmers! Great photo, thanks for sharing it:)
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Me neither! Everyone at that beach freaked out for nothing. When the deer was done with his swim he came ashore.
@kobesbuddy (40784)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@dgobucks226 That's good news. We had two deer stranded on an iceberg that broke off and floated out into Tawas Bay. Rescuers fought hard to get them ashore, but one was so frightened that it ended up drowning.
@dgobucks226 (10684)
@kobesbuddy Yes, the animals own fear is their worst obstacle to overcome. Then, I've seen other animal rescues where they accept our help. I guess they sense we are trying to help them from distress?
• Preston, England
I think the human life should come first
@dgobucks226 (10684)
Appreciate the response Arthur!