Multi-tasking

nice picture.
Roseburg, Oregon
Multi-tasking Have you ever wondered why only woman can multi-task, I can watch TV, put the wash in the washing machine. In between commercials do the dishes and vacuum the rug. Than check on the wash. Put it in the dryer. Than get up on the computer and check my email and all of my different sites. While my husband can only watch TV and not move from the couch. Even during the commercials. If he wants a snack he will ask me to get him one. Now I am folding the clothes... The picture is mine taken by me.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
OK, let's put this to bed once and for all. There is no such thing as multi-tasking!! All you are doing is, what's known in the software development trade as time-slicing. In other words you are splitting up your time into segments and in each segment you are doing part of a different task. While this gives the appearance of a lot of things being done at once, particularly at the high speeds computers operate at, it quite often takes longer to complete all of your tasks because of something called context switching. This usually amounts to a bit of time staring into space when you switch back to a task while you remember where you were up to when you switched from that task to another one. This is all well and good in the computing world as it allows multiple processes or users to feel they are being serviced simultaneously however in terms of efficiency it would probably take less time to complete all tasks by just completing each one sequentially.
You get more done by multitasking.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@jstory07 You only think that you do. Just think about it. If you take the washing out of the machine during a commercial you aren't actually multi-tasking. You have stopped one task, watching TV, and switched to another, taking the clothes out of the machine. You are only ever doing one thing at a time. I'm prepared to accept that you could possibly watch TV and do some ironing at the same time. On the face of it this appears to be multi-tasking i.e. genuinely doing two things at once. But you're not really. Because while you're ironing you can't possibly be watching the TV properly. You will miss things that may be important to the plot of whatever show you are watching. Consequently you aren't performing both tasks to the best of your ability. Which leads me to my definition of multi-tasking - the art of simultaneously doing a number of tasks not very well.
@jstory07 No, this is what you think, in reality you do everything slower.
@prashu228 (22652)
I am not a multi tasker...
Why not?
• Guangdong, China
well, well, well. It seems I'm one of multi-taskers. I could clean my bedroom while watching the music videos. Then checking my messages from my cell phone, putting the clothes in the washing mechine at the same time. Of course, I would like to make a soda fruit drink for myself if I like.
I could go for a soda fruit drink that sounds really good.
• Guangdong, China
@jstory07 go for a try.
I think @WorDazza has explained it well - it's probably best to finish one task before starting another.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
I knew I could rely on you as a voice of reason!!
@ilocosboy (33293)
He he, your husband is also multi tasking, watching tv and eating snacks .
Yes I guess he is.
I am perfectly capable and have done multi tasking as you describe. So it is not restricted to women.
Yes some men can do muti tasking. But women are better.
It's sad that I didn't have my mom's multi tasking attitude towards work and house chores.
Your Mom must be a good multitasker..
@jstory07 Very active one.
@peachpurple (10708)
wow, you are a multi tasker and a professional one !
Yes I get a lot done at once.
@peachpurple (10708)
@jstory07 sounds like an octopus but you are better !
@magallon (17371)
I am a multi tasker woman. I always do things at the same time. Maybe because I want everything done.
Multi-tasking is a good way to get everything done.
@magallon (17371)
@jstory07 yes it is but it is tiring..
@FayeHazel (11810)
I like mylotting and audiobooking or watching tv
I like to do the same thing.
Oh that is quite funny to me. I know a lot of men like that. B will eat and watch tv. but when he is done he will get up and take care of his plate. I love that about him. I don't know about laundry and stuff yet.
Dave does help with the laundry sometimes.
@ricki_911 (17194)
• Toronto, Ontario
I havr met some females who can't. I say i can't but i do. Just sometimes i need more concentration.
I have always been able to multi-task.
It does seem like it.
It is proven that women are better than men at multitasking and it is proven that it's not a good thing to do. Our brain do not concentrate if we do.
I do the same thing. Men here do the same thing as described. a one track mind?
@lady1993 (15644)
hey, even guys can multitask too but maybe not that many tasks
@sjvg1976 (14656)
Who says only women are good at multi task. I am doing mylot, watching tv , talking to my kids and during commercials teach kids maths
I'm a multi tasker unless it's something that takes concentration.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain