Driving home wiped me out!

@CoralLevang (39892)
We had a horrible storm come through today. It was one of those days where the umbrellas did little more than turn inside-out, and the rain blew sideways. When I drove home, the main road was closed and rerouted. I learned this evening that there was an accident, caused by a medical emergency, where a women struck a power pole, and it caused a domino-effect with two others, resulting in live wires in rain, downed power lines, and blown transformers. The accident happened about 10:30 a.m., and the roads were not going to be cleared until about now. I hope they got everything cleaned up, and back up and running. More so, I hope the woman who was driving is okay. Because of the storm, there were so many leaves that many of the storm drains were clogged and streets everywhere were flooded. There was no let-up on the rain and wind today, so it was a big mess out there. There were other power outages in the county, that were not accident-related. I left the campus for a normal 14-mile, 27-minute drive home, just after 1:00 p.m. with a short 10-minute stop at my library. Even their computers were all down, so they checked us out "old-school" style, by writing things down. Maneuvering through detours, white-knuckle driving through the streets with a foot (30.48cm) or more of accumulated water, the all-way stops for each non-working traffic light, and driving in horrendous traffic with torrential rain (at times) and 35mph wind gusts, I did not arrive home until nearly 3:30 p.m. and was so exhausted that I feel asleep on the couch, watching a movie. I will wait to get through notifications sometime tomorrow. I want to finish my movie and will head to bed soon after. I am going to say my "Goodnight" now! How do you feel about driving in the extreme weather conditions? (Photo credit: Pixabay)
The only time 'extreme' weather driving bothers me is when I can't see more than a few feet in front of me.
@CoralLevang (39892)
That can be rather spooky, for certain! When the wipers can't even clear the window for all the water.
@CoralLevang Hard rain, severe snow squalls and heavy fog...hate all three of those.
@CoralLevang (39892)
@JolietJake Yeppers. I feel the same. I only have two deal up here with two of the three. Don't get TOO much snow here, and if we do, the western side of the state shuts down. LOL
I don't drive but I don't like being a passenger in bad weather either. I'm glad your safe though. =)
I do not like to be in a car when the weather is bad. I understand how exhausted you must have been.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Thank you. I'm worse as a passenger. I have fewer things to concentrate on!
@CoralLevang (39892)
@marlina well I made it home fine and that was all that was counting!
@WorDazza (8549)
• Manchester, England
I try to avoid even leaving the house in extreme weather conditions never mind driving. Fortunately in the UK, while our weather is pretty miserable, we very rarely experience the destructive heights reached by US weather.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Well, it wasn't so bad at 9:30 this morning when I left. Barely a drizzle.
@WorDazza (8549)
• Manchester, England
@CoralLevang That's not so good. It always makes me chuckle when weather forecasters advise people not to travel and I'm actually in work. Like I'm going to stay at work all night!!
@CoralLevang (39892)
@WorDazza Exactly. Unless it's absolutely impossible, I'm trying!
What is the movie?
@CoralLevang (39892)
I watched "Emperor" and now I am watching an Iranian film called, "About Elly."
@CoralLevang (39892)
I I watch the third movie, too. I watch the movie about Chet Baker, born to be blue
I do my best not to drive in extreme conditions. I did once, but it was completely unexpected. I was four hours from home in Illinois, and visiting a friend on my way home. I think I had taken my daughter to a custody hearing at court, not sure. I know I had the kids with me, so I'm sure that was it. Anyway, I was at my friend's house when it started to snow, it wasn't hard, soft and gentle, so thought it would be best to leave so I could get home at a decent time. Yeah, not so much. Was stalled in Milwaukee for an hour as the snow just got harder, by the time I cleared Milwaukee it was nearly a white-out, and was anytime a semi passed me. I stopped in at a Hardees to get out of the weather and just rest for a little bit and call my husband to let him know we were on our way. With the snow so bad, I almost missed the onramp and ended up in a ditch instead. Good thing I realized it in time and found the onramp. What normally takes 4 hours from Green Bay to Chicago, took 7 + hours. I called my friend when I got home to let her know I made it okay. I'm glad you got home okay, and I hope that lady is all right too.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Driving in the snow is the worst when it's like that! I remember it from living in Chicago, and we've had a couple of times like that here in my area now but I'm thankful that they don't happen very often. And it's scary when you can't see the roads. I was driving through the mountain pass coming from Louisiana up to Seattle. I did a do-it-yourself move. Nearly went off the side of a mountain. I think that was in a January. I never did a do-it-yourself move again.
@CoralLevang We have so much in common! I didn't do a do-it-yourself-move, but I almost went off a mountain cliff in Arizona. I was driving at night, and falling asleep at the wheel, and I couldn't wake my husband to take over driving. When I woke up, I was inches from a guard rail. That scared the daylights out of me. I had two children in the back of the van. My youngest hadn't made it into the world yet. It would be a few years. That night he almost didn't make it at all. My angels were watching out for me. I stopped every hundred yards after that, to wake up sufficiently to keep going, and finally found a wayside stop. I pulled in there and waited until my husband woke up and he drove the rest of the way into San Diego. We were driving cross country from Chicago area.
@CoralLevang (39892)
@just4him what did your husband do in the Navy? I think that there were certainly some parallels in our lives!
@ridingbet (36612)
when the rains are strong, i drive the car and yes, the rains can cloud the view of the roads, that is why i drive on second gear only
@CoralLevang (39892)
when I used to drive a manual transmission car, that was what I did. not necessary with the automatics.
@ridingbet (36612)
@CoralLevang wow, that is nice because you can drive automatic gears as well. once when i tried automatic, i was really trembling when i had to stop at the crossroads. i did not drive another automatic transmission after that
@CoralLevang (39892)
@ridingbet Automatic transmission vehicles do not require us to do the shifting. they are easier, I think,to drive.
What wretched weather !I can imagine how you were slowly and cautiously driving through the streets with accumulated water , as though treading on the ice.We hardly have heavy rain in winter.
@CoralLevang (39892)
In in your area where you live, do you get four seasons?
@CoralLevang We have four seasons.Now it is winter time.
@CoralLevang (39892)
@changjiangzhibin89 do do you get a lot of snow where you're at?
@responsiveme (14383)
I hope you are snug as a bug in a rug now and not like that birdie I your pic...Cute one Hope the woman is OK. I would feel scared
@CoralLevang (39892)
Thankfully, the drive home today was only windy. Now, I'm home...I've eaten my dinner. I need to put dishes into the dishwasher and start it, and fix myself a cup of tea ... I'm going to get to bed early tonight, since I was up watching movies until a couple of hours before having to be up this morning. LOL
@CoralLevang What movies? I like movie talk..and also book talk
Yes I hate to drive in those conditions.
@CoralLevang (39892)
I'm just wondering what the winter has in store for us up here!
@CoralLevang I feel for you!
@CoralLevang (39892)
@sjvg1976 (13974)
I normally avoid driving in such situation.
@CoralLevang (39892)
I would not have driven, if I didn't need to get home.
@sjvg1976 (13974)
@CoralLevang I would have preferred a cab instead of driving
@CoralLevang (39892)
@sjvg1976 And abandon my car...would not have been the best choice.
@happy_ (1374)
i avoid to travel because i don't like to travel in such.
@CoralLevang (39892)
If I have to go out in it, It is me that has to do the driving as I live alone.
@happy_ (1374)
@CoralLevang ohhk you have to do it anyway
Not a favorite of mine. Driving during the rainy season here in Manila usually turns your car into a submersible.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Oh oh yes! The storms of the islands! I remember them well from Guam.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am glad you got home safely, I hate driving under those conditions.
@CoralLevang (39892)
It's also when I wish I had a fireplace. That relaxes me.
I've driven in several blizzards over the years. You get used to it.
@CoralLevang (39892)
I've also driven in some blizzards, but I have to disagree. I've never gotten used to it.
No wonder you were exhausted! My muscles would have been so tense and my hands glued to the steering wheel if I had to drive in such weather. It truly isn't fun to drive in such conditions. My husband doesn't even like to drive when the weather is that bad.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Yes yes! As I mentioned, I white-knuckled part of it.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
It's not my favourite thing to do. I'd rather navigate during daylight hours. Rain at night makes it impossible for me to see. I'm not looking forward to the snow that will soon make its appearance.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Exactly! If you have to drive in it, daylight hours are best. But still feels treacherous.
@peachpurple (9949)
my hubby avoid driving during harsh weather
@CoralLevang (39892)
If it's bad in the a.m., I won't drive in.
@Srbageldog (4936)
I don't drive, but it makes me nervous as a passenger in bad weather. Especially if my dad is driving -- he has been known not to pay close attention to the road and has been in multiple accidents through the years.
@CoralLevang (39892)
I'd rather be the driver than the passenger. I understand
I hate driving in that kind of weather. It's nerve wracking.
@CoralLevang (39892)
Exactly!!
I am glad you made it home safe. I definitely mind!
@CoralLevang (39892)
I am thankful it wasn't snow! LOL