what do you want to be when you grow up

Good afternoon.While we raise our children and one ask them what do you want to be when you grow up? How many parent's ask this. If you are one of them did any of your children full fill their dreams? My children did not have any desire.The girls were more interest in boys. The boy wanted to be a baseball player.the best he can do was in the Little League.Oh!also a hockey player.But this was short lived for trouble with his knees when he was playing. Tell us about yours did they achieve there? photo on line
I always wanted to be a teacher, and I did become a teacher. My brother wanted to be a guitarist and he was one for years and performed all over the country. I suppose my sister always wanted to be a martial arts instructor, and she did that do after she earned her black belt.
All 3 of you succeeded Deb, that's wonderful to know and realize your dreams.
@Juliaacv My parents were not happy that my brother was a musician, but my brother was happy.
@Corbin5 not wrong being a musician.I loved it.
@FourWalls (9521)
I have discovered that growing up is vastly overrated.
@FourWalls maybe.
Me too and when I grow up I can say if I made it.
@FourWalls (9521)
@amadeo — no, the book title had it correct: All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten.
@alberello75 (13060)
• Genova, Italy
None of us in the family had any idea what to become. I wished to work for informatics, but I'm disabled and jobless! My brother, a doctor, but he did not do anything. Even for him, no job! My parents were both railroads, but they did not think to would do that job in their lives.
@alberello79 that is too bad that he did not make it.
@alberello75 (13060)
• Genova, Italy
@amadeo Who, my brother? Let hime alone! He represents laziness in person. Never wanted to do anything! And, the worring thing, he seems to have no intention of changing ... for better!
@alberello75 I have the same thoughts with my brother. A living statue of laziness. Still I wish that he realize it and might change someday for his kids.
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My daughter wanted to be a movie star, live in a bus, and move to Hollywood. No, she didn't ever do this! My son wanted to be a professional race car driver. After spending weekends in jail and two car accidents, he gave up that dream:(
@kobesbuddy sorry,I do see a little humor in this.Thank you for sharing.
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@amadeo Fredo, it was meant to make you laugh!:) This is the gospel truth, my children actually had these dreams, for their life Can you believe it? Now, she's an R.N. in a children's hospital and Chad's job is doing plumbing and heating.
@Fleura (5886)
Some friends of mine used to live in a converted bus at one point, I went to stay with them.
I aspired to be an occupational therapist. However, we didn't live near a university, the closest one was over an hour's drive away and my parents wouldn't let me go because of the expense. They didn't feel that a woman needed an expensive education. But I didn't let it get me down, no, I worked as an Activity Director in an old age home. And it is essentially the same thing, you don't have a degree so you make less, but I worked for the city-owned home, so my wages were comparable to anyone working in the field with a degree. Our son always wanted to be an advocate for children who didn't have parents like he did-that was what he used to tell us. And he works as a social worker, he did start out in the under age group home sector, but now works with all ages in the legal field.
that is interesting .Thank you for sharing this Mike was a social worker and got his master on this.
@Fleura (5886)
I'm glad you found an alternative route to your chosen career.
I asked myself what I wanted to be when I grew up.
@marguicha and what did you become.
@nangayo (2172)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Mine wants to be a designer. She is still in school and i do hope she achieves it. I have noticed the way she loves designer clothes.
@mangayo good for her.Wish her the best there.This is a good business for her
@nangayo (2172)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@amadeo Thank you i will encourage her.
One son is a bass player which he always wanted to be. The other never really expressed a particular wish but he seems happy working with computers.
@amadeo He plays jazz and has a group that he mostly plays with but he also does freelance work wherever he can get it.
Both our sons dreamed of being a baseball star, of course! But did not.
@marlina beside that have they played the game?
@amadeo Oh yes, they were both In the Stars league in baseball.
@m_audrey6788 (11004)
My parents used to ask that to me and my answer was so different when I grew up
@m_audrey6788 most of us I am sure
@amadeo I think so too
I wanted to be a race car driver, I sort of do that now, I drove for years for money and always on the interstate.
@andriaperry you devil you.A race car driver.Cool.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I wanted to be a surgeon, but instead a hairdresser, so surgery on hair instead. Son wanted to be a game designer, instead was a barber.
@TiarasOceanView that is interest there.Both in the hair business.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@amadeo Yes my Sicilian Grandfather was barber also.
@Fleura (5886)
That is interesting - did you know that (in the UK at least) surgery was originally performed by barbers while physicians came from a different background? That is why to this day physicians are called 'Dr' but surgeons are always called 'Mr' or 'Miss'.
I never had kids.
@Fleura (5886)
Did you realise your own childhood dreams?
@Fleura - Yes, I always wanted to work in radio, and I did.
@Fleura (5886)
@teamfreak16 Glad you got where you wanted to go!
I am an adult and do not have any human children of my own. I have a cat child. I still ask myself what I really want to do. I thought I found it and still like what I do, but, I would like to find more meaning in my life and another way to sell my products and I cannot sell on Esty because I buy most of my things. I have not had luck on some online places. I may try again making an online store and sell all my things on e-bay.
@Hannihar E bay is good.
@amadeo Thanks Alfredo but I did not have luck. If I open a store on there and not just sell one item like I did then maybe I will have better luck putting everything in one spot there.
I wanted to be an artist . . . but my parents said I could never make a living being one. Artists were "crazy" in their minds . . . so I put that thought away. For years I wanted to be so many other things. But in high school I met a friend showed me the ways of having art as a career . . . so much to the dismay of my parents, I got an art degree . . . and became a working artist!
@Fleura (5886)
Yay! glad you found a way to make a living doing what you love!
@much2say Congrats there.What a wonderful story there.
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My dream: I wanted to marry Prince Charles and live on a farm! LOL
@kobesbuddy me too.LOL
@kobesbuddy (17188)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@amadeo He was my hero, as a young girl! Plus, he always owned a beautiful horse, which I loved:)
@ebanreb (4118)
To be a good person in thoughts and in words.
@banreb nice thought.
@ebanreb (4118)
@amadeo Thanks
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My parents often encouraged me to study hard so I could become a doctor, lawyer, or some other professional. My dreams were set a little higher than that. I wanted to be a cowboy.
@Fleura (5886)
And what did you do?
@UncleJoessame here cowboy was my dream.lol
Idid what I wanted to do. I raised six children that all have good jobs and did what they wanted in their life's.
@jstory07there you go a successful mom there.
@amadeo I like to think so.
@Fleura (5886)
I don't know yet, mine are still young, Little One wants to travel the World so hopefully she will manage that or at least some of it. Big One wants to be a writer and illustrator at the moment, maybe she will but it's a difficult career to make a living. What about you - did you fulfil your dreams? When I was growing up I had so many things I wanted to do; I have done some of them and sort of done something close to others.
@Fleura No I have not.I wanted to be so many thing.But did not do anything with it.