My first day of radiotherapy

@Asylum (47325)
Manchester, England
Today proved to be rather interesting. It began with being invited into a cubicle where the nurse explained in detail what would happen during the treatment. This seemed a little superfluous since I had previously been told what to expect. When I went in to the treatment room they first spent time ensuring that I was properly aligned on the table and made a scan. The treatment to the head was first, followed by readjusting my position and radiating the lungs. I was there for maybe 45 minutes. It is surprisingly difficult to lie absolutely still, especially when you are concentrating to do so. Nevertheless I managed not to move and the treatment went smoothly. I do feel a little strange at the moment, although nothing specific. It could even be my imagination. The worst part of the day was arriving at the hospital at 4 PM and discovering that the coffee bar closes at 4 PM.
• Denmark
When I have to lie still, I feel as if I'm lying on an anthill. I get itchy all over. Was your skin marked with a felt pen for the radiation rays?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
There are tiny tattoo marks that were applied previously.
@nanette64 (13894)
• Fairfield, Texas
It never fails @MALUSE . That's about the time I have to either cough, sneeze or go pee.
@Daelii (2133)
I'm so sorry! I'm glad you could do it! Prayers you are feeling better soon! Did you get coffee somewhere else?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Fortunately yes, the girl on reception told me where there was a coffee machine.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Glad you have started this treatment. Yes it must be quite strange to lie still for so long and with no coffee..booo.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I now seem to be developing quite a headache, but it may be simply from being apprehensive for a while.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum I think it is from no coffee lol
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView Yes, it could be withdrawal symptoms.
• Eugene, Oregon
That timing was a blow, I'm sure. But then the coffee probably had not fresh for some time. I am glad this first treatment went well and hope that there are no ill effects from it.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It seems to have made me seriously tired, but at least I have now had 2 days off.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum A bit of time to rest up for the next round.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@JamesHxstatic Exactly, although I would prefer it to be already completed.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
My dad didn't seem to have any side effects from his radiation but he only had 7 before he passed away.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I am scheduled for 10 sessions during a two week period, so I am hoping to get past 7.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum For sure much good luck to you.
@Asylum I hope all goes well!
• Preston, England
hopefullythe treatment will make a big positive difference for you
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It has certainly made me extremely tired and destroyed my appetite.
• Preston, England
@Asylum there are bound to be some side effects
@1creekgirl (8780)
Hope the treatments will all go well for you. Maybe arrive about 5:45 next time?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Tomorrow I am due to arrive at 4-45 PM, but earlier on Thursday.
@Asylum Good, you'll get there in time for coffee in case you don't want it from the vending machine.
@pgntwo (21763)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I hope you feel as chipper in a few days...
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The experience was not a problem, so failing side effects I cannot envisage any problems.
@pgntwo (21763)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum I hope each day goes that way, with a positive outcome.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo Last night proved to be a bad night after all. I developed a major headache, which I still have a degree of now.
I have had an MRI before and boy was it hard to stay still. I hope that treatment works for you.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I have had several MRI scans and you simply have to stay relatively still. The difference with radiotherapy is that they require you to be absolutely still.
The same was true for the MRI I had, they had to restart because I moved @Asylum I hated it.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann The only bad thing about an MRI is the noise.
I wonder if I would capable to stay still for 45 minutes, this must be terribly hard. I suppose that some parts of your body could hurt not moving for so long. Terrible news about the coffee, at least the coffee bar at our local hospital closes at 8 pm.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Yes, it can become a little painful lying still for so long.
@Asylum How do you feel now Barry? When is your next session scheduled?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I heel wearier than I have ever done before. I have this afternoon and Monday to go, which will complete the 10 sessions.
I hope you do not get ill from it. I don’t think my father in law got very sick from chemo. Laying still wouldn’t be too bad unless you got an itch you couldn’t scratch. I get restless legs to so that may make things worse as well.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The only side effects that I had from chemotherapy were tiredness and loss of hair. As for radiotherapy, only time will tell.
@Asylum Oh jeez I thought they were the same thing I'm sorry.
@Asylum Are they both to treat cancer?
@dpk262006 (54812)
We hope that you get well soon and you would successfully be able to go through radio therapy sessions.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I am hoping that today will be easier, but will only know after the treatment.
@dpk262006 (54812)
@Asylum Let's hope that the next round of radio therapy would have remained easier and you were able to tolerate it without any problem.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@dpk262006 So far it seems okay.
@Blondie2222 (18210)
Well I hope the treatments do the trick for you and hope the side effects aren't too bad. Sucks the coffee bar was closed.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
One unexpected result was developing a major headache last night. Of course it is difficult to be certain whether that was related to the treatment or not.
@Blondie2222 (18210)
@Asylum It could be, i would keep track of your symptoms and let them know next time you go
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@Blondie2222 Yes, I intend to.
@LeaPea2417 (15410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I pray all the treatments go well. How many of these treatments do you need to have?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
A total of 10. I had 4 last week, will have 5 this week and one the following Monday.
@LeaPea2417 (15410)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Asylum Pray it all goes well.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@LeaPea2417 Thank you.
• Midland, Michigan
Is radio therapy similar to radiation over here? I've never heard of that before, so I'm not sure. Is it okay for you to eat or drink before they do the scans? A friend of mine had both chemo and radiation, but I never thought to ask her what she could or couldn't do beforehand or how it was done.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
Yes, it does involve subjecting the patient to radiation. No restrictions are placed on intake of food or drink because my treatment involves the brain and lungs. It may be different for someone who is having treatment to the stomach.
• Midland, Michigan
@Asylum Do you drink coffee at home also, or were you just looking forward to having some there and that got nixed in a hurry?
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman I usually drink coffee regular at home, but over the past few days it has become less attractive and I have switched to tea.
It sure is hard to set completely still. When I had an MRI a few months ago it was very hard. I think I had to set there for about 45 minutes also. Not fun.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
You are able to move slightly during an MRI, but for radiotherapy they expect you to be completely rigid.
@Asylum .....Better in both if you don't move.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
@celticeagle Very true.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh bummer, it takes a lot of coffee to make all this bearable. I am glad you are only feeling a little strange, hopefully, all the treatments will be uneventful and now at least you know that you need t arrive a bit earlier.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I am becoming increasingly tired lately. Went to bed at 9 PM last night and did not awake until 11 AM.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum Sleep can be very healing, your body knows what it needs so sleeping is a good thing. I know for an active person this isn't ideal but hopefully this too will pass
Well, for you, they should keep that coffee bar open until you show up and get your coffee, no matter what that time it happens to be. So there. I am not sure I could lie still for 45 minutes, and I am so impressed that you were able to do so.
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
It should be easier to lie still tomorrow because I will be less apprehensive. Fortunately I now also know where the nearest coffee vending machine is.
@garymarsh6 (12183)
Shock horror about the coffee bar closing! I hope you were not given a cup of ghastly NHS stuff!
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
I do not mind NHS coffee. I will happily drink almost any coffee.
@Shiva49 (9727)
Good that you are able to get this over with despite the closing of the coffee bar signifying the late start. Tough to be immobile for 45 minutes though, I can visualise your discomfiture - siva
@Asylum (47325)
• Manchester, England
The last treatment was yesterday, which is a great feeling of relief.