Would you rent your house to...

Malaysia
I remember that day at my grandparents' house, many years ago, when a guy came to meet my late grandfather. It turned out that he was from a movie production team and had come to talk about the possibility of renting the house for a movie. I didn't really know the details about the deal or what the movie was about - I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time. All I knew was that my grandfather ended up saying no, after consulting with other family members. It had to do with certain "disturbing" scenes, or so I was told. Now I can't help wondering what movie that was supposed to be. What would you do? Would you rent out your home to a movie production or TV show?
I think perhaps it is a horror movie as they like to seek old house. I am not sure whether I will rent my house to a movie production. It all depends on how much I can get If the paid is very good, why not?
I was thinking it had something to do with haunting or creepy scenes too. My grandparents' house has this very classic look and interior so that might be possible.
@averygirl72 (13731)
Yes I would love to. I even want them to destroy our house because it's an old house then they will help us to build a brand new house
Oh my, destroy the house? Well I know renovating is an option but not sure if they would demolish it completely, they might as well find another house!
@averygirl72 (13731)
@hereandthere (24042)
it happens here, too. private homes are rented to shoot a movie or tv show. in recent years, there were even "shootings" held here in our neighborhood. i also have a relative who says their studio is also being rented mid-day or overnight. they bring their own furniture, for example, to simulate an office setting. i think if it was a horror movie, i'd decline, too. i guess i'm superstitious.
Yeah I was never told what scenes they were but they were probably gross and gruesome, I don't know. How long is the production team renting your relative's studio?
@cahaya1983 maybe depends on how many and how long the scenes are. their classes are held early morning and late afternoon/early evening, so they rent it mid-day or overnight.
I would not because I live in my house.
Yes I know some people prefer not to because it's not convenient for them. What if you have another place you can stay at, though?
@cahaya1983 Maybe than I would.
@dpk262006 (54659)
No, I would not rent my home for any such activity, even if I am getting a good amount of rent.
I doubt I would, either. But I'm not sure how much the rent is for that sort of thing. Do you know how much they pay in India? Maybe for a decent 2-3 bedroom apartment?
@dpk262006 (54659)
@cahaya1983 They may pay Rs. 50000/- (approximately UDS- 765) for a week for taking an apartment on rent for such an event.
@sjvg1976 (14548)
Yes I would have depending on the rent they would have agreed to give me. What's wrong in it when you would have got money?
Well I guess some people find it inconvenient if they don't have any other place to stay and probably worry about irreparable damages.
Yes, if the price is right!
You can always negotiate that with the team . In fact some homeowners choose to negotiate for home improvements like painting, carpentry, etc. in exchange for filming location!
@1creekgirl (8642)
No, I wouldn't. Where would we stay and how would they treat our home?
I think it depends on how long they're going to do the shooting and what space in they would like to use. I know that some homeowners only rent out the living room area, or just the kitchen.
@peachpurple (11011)
if the production team is going to pay me a good amount, sure why not?
I suppose you can always negotiate with them. Different production would have different terms I think.
@peachpurple (11011)
@cahaya1983 yes maybe, in my dreams !
@peachpurple Dreams can turn into reality too!
I agree with youless, may be a horror movie. I would have also said no, no matter what kind of scenes they would like to shoot in my house.
Yes I can imagine it's going to be a circus having the entire TV crew in my home.
@cahaya1983 I would not like to see strangers going around in my house and touching my things.
@LadyDuck Yeah I don't really like the thought of that either.
@lady1993 (15543)
hmm, probably if the movie is not horror or SPG we can stay with other people anyway
Yeah if you have another place to stay it wouldn't be an issue, I suppose. But then again you probably don't have to move out, they might only use a few spaces and for a certain number of hours each day.
@lady1993 (15543)
@cahaya1983 that would be even better
@lady1993 Yeah if they use my kitchen I'd probably let them but they have to renovate it first and pay for the cost.
My sister in law did that with her old house . . . she was single and she didn't mind being put up in a hotel - they paid for it! Growing up, there was a street near my parents' house . . . I don't know which house, but there was filming on that street nearly every week. As for my own house, I don't know . . . but it's possible that money could speak for that .
That seems to be the determining factor for lots of people, it seems. How long did she have to stay in that hotel? Were there any damages or anything while she was away?
@cahaya1983 Well, apparently this house had been used a lot (not sure in what) - the previous owners went through this - and I think she did that at least a few times. She was barely home anyway - so it didn't matter that much to her. I think they filmed outside more than the inside (old Craftsman style home with the classic porch), so I don't think there were any damages. But since then she has moved from that house.
I think that would be fun.
That would be something to myLot about for sure.
@cahaya1983 Yes, it would.
I certainly would, only if there were no disturbing scenes in the movie!
Well I think they do pay quite a good sum, who knows maybe you'll get an offer one of these days!
@YrNemo (8469)
No way, unless it was one of my investment properties, one which I rent out to other people, but if it was for a horror movie, hmm, perhaps not!
I doubt I would rent out mine either, horror or not. Unless they pay me enough to get a new house.
@YrNemo (8469)
@cahaya1983 Scary thought, that our possessions would be used for bad purposes! Ew!
@Shellyann36 (8619)
Nah, I don't think so. I would not want that much of a disruption in my home. Of course, if they were paying a vast amount of money, I might consent.
That's right. I don't really know exactly how much they pay for that kind of thing, but if it's for a major production I think the number is pretty good.
It would really depend on what it was they were making, and what would they be doing to the house. If they wanted so smash a little drywall and give it some new paint I probably wouldn't mind too much;). But if it was going to be something, gross, I would...decline.
Same here! I still dislike the idea of a whole bunch of strangers coming and spending days or weeks in the house, though. I guess it depends on a lot of things. Not that I have to worry about that now.
@kepweng (6328)
wow renting a house for a movie means $ and the house owner will gonna be Famous too right?
No, the house will. Not the owner.
I don't know, I haven't heard that situation before. I didn't even know you could have your house rent for a movie, unless it's empty though.
Oh yes, if they approach you then youbcouldll definitely could, if you want to. They can't always use the studio set for all scenes especially for movies.
@ridingbet (37892)
it would be fine with me, as long as the movie is not about horror, thriller, or suspense.
Oh I can't imagine all the creepy or bloody scenes taking place inside my house either.