Would you be offended if this happened to you?

@millie02 (6907)
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago my husband and I went shopping in a well known supermarket where we having been shopping once a week for several years now. A young male sales assistant served us at the till, we had seen him there before and we often said hello to him. On this occasion, we both said hello to him and he said hello back. But then my husband turned his back on the boy to put something in the trolley, and while he was doing this , the boy gave me a cheeky wink. My husband turned round just in time to see this and he was not amused. I was taken back because I thought that the boy was being disrespectful . I am 57 years old and do not expect to get winked at when I go shopping. Now we try to avoid this boy when we go shopping. Would you be offended if this happened to you?
Well...that would depend. If the guy was flirting, I'd consider it improper, but there are different types of winks. Not knowing the intention behind it, I would probably just come straight out and ask him (or her) what it was supposed to mean. But I am the confrontational type.
@millie02 (6907)
Perhaps I should have asked him at the time, but I was too embarrassed to do anything about it.
@Blondie2222 (22210)
He probably thought you were cute and that's why he winked at you. I wouldn't be too offended just ask him next time you go.
@millie02 (6907)
Perhaps I might do that , but I would not know what to say. What would you do in this situation?
@Blondie2222 (22210)
@millie02 If you get him in line again just non nonchalantly bring up small talk and then just go right out and ask about the last time you were there.
@millie02 (6907)
@Blondie2222 I might do that just to clear the air a bit.
@m_audrey6788 (13665)
I also hate young boys or man who winked at me as if they wanted me to give some attention to them I find them so scary, flirty and irritating
@millie02 (6907)
When I told my friend about it she burst out laughing because she thought it was funny. So I said that she would not like it if it happened to her.
@millie02 Your friend might experience it too and she`ll feel the same way you felt
@millie02 (6907)
@m_audrey6788 Knowing my friend, she probably would have said something cheeky to the boy and scared him off for good.
I agree with JJ, there are different types of winks and may be this time it was not intended to be disrespectful .
@millie02 (6907)
Lets hope it was not disrespectful, just a young lad having a laugh at work.
@millie02 Some youngsters now think it's a friendly way to greet women.
@millie02 (6907)
@LadyDuck Perhaps this is true.
The wink would not bother me. I am old enough to not be bothered by a wink from someone.
@millie02 (6907)
Perhaps I am over reacting a bit, but I was shocked at the time.
@1creekgirl (10611)
As long as it was only a wink, I would be flattered.
@millie02 (6907)
Maybe I should have been flattered too.
I wouldn't mind if it was just a wink and nothing more than that.
@millie02 (6907)
It was only an wink and a smile.
@JustBhem (39236)
• Davao, Philippines
I think it would be depending on the gesture. I saw some salesman wink at their old customer and old customer will just laugh about it.
@millie02 (6907)
Perhaps I will laugh too if it happens again in the future.
@JustBhem (39236)
• Davao, Philippines
@millie02 That sounds cool.
@millie02 (6907)
@JustBhem I just hope that it never happens again.