Instant Pot...advice?

After reading a post by @NJChicaa about the Instant Pot, I find myself really wanting one. I Googled it and saw many ads and reviews, but I don't always trust reviews on line. But I do trust you guys, so if you have one, is the Instant Pot a good appliance? There are several versions, but so far I think I'd like the original one, the LUX, since I have no desire to make yogurt. Any advice as to which is best or helpful hints on how to use it? It would make a great Christmas gift for me. If you guys give it a , that is.
I wonder if there is a huge difference in between the instant pot and the crock pot?
I'm wondering, also.
@CoralLevang (40863)
The instapot is a rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker, etc, etc, all wrapped up in one. The crock pot, as an appliance and not the brand name, is nothing more than a slow cooker.
The Instant Pot is mostly for pressure cooking IMO
I think it is great. You can make stews, pot roasts, pulled pork, etc in an hour vs all day long in a crock pot. I do rice in it all the time. I'm finding new recipes for it every week. I did a whole chicken but wasn't impressed. The skin was flabby. I'd rather just roast it in the oven. I've read people raving about making cheesecake in it but that's just crazy to me.
But is it a good pressure cooker? If not, why is it better than a regular crock pot or slow cooker?
@1creekgirl I think it is great because it cooks things very quickly. Rice in 4 minutes. Pot roast in less than an hour. I use the pressure cook feature all the time. You can also sauté in it (though it is HOT) so I cooked the garlic for my red sauce right in the pot before adding the tomatoes, parsley, and other seasonings. No need to dirty another pan. Instead of me owning a pressure cooker, rice cooker, AND slow cooker--I now just have an Instant Pot.
@NJChicaa Thanks, that clears it up for me. I definitely will put that on my Wish List! Which version do you have?
@Platespinner (18563)
I must confess that on first reading the title I was intrigued. I didn't think you were the "pot" type.
You know, that occured to me a little while ago. You're right, I'm not the pot type, instant or othetwise.
@UncleJoe (8589)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I had to go research the Instant Pot before I could comment. Even watched a short video. I am as impressed with it as I was when the microwave oven first came out. And to think that it really doesn't seem that long ago when we discovered fire.
You're making me feel old, Joe.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I want one too.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I have had an instant pot for a couple of years now and love it. No matter the type of meat you want to cook it comes out very very tender. I love it. I love a soft yolk boiled egg but can never get it right but in the instant pot it's a breeze.
Thanks for the review!
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
@1creekgirl Sure anytime.
@Bluedoll (16788)
By the title, I thought you were promoting weed. (shaking head now)
Yeah, I later thought about the title and said to myself, "Oh, no! I hope readers realize what kind of pot I'm talking about!"
@Bluedoll (16788)
@1creekgirl No worries it soon became apparent but did cause me to take a deep breath and think oh no what now? Perhaps I shouldn't though and learn to expect anything. I have a pressure cooker but not using it. Perhaps I should for some things.
• Riga, Latvia
First time I hear about this. I have a multifunctional pot which I like and it always gives me good meals. Here is a YouTube link to it.
KAM YEE MAN CHEONG multi-functional cooking pot keeps 8 functions in 1 pot. Deep fryer, braise, steam, grill, fry, roast, slow cook, fondue. Easy to handle, ...
That looks a lot like the Instant Pot, just a different brand, maybe.
• Riga, Latvia
@1creekgirl cannot say. But I do like the one I have.
@Srbageldog (5548)
I am not familiar with this, but now that I'm reading through the comments I am intrigued. Perhaps I need to acquire one of these for myself! I just have a slow cooker but I'm thinking it's time to replace it.
I don't have one but I see others have been able to help.
I have never heard of the Instant Pot, but I do think it would make a very nice Christmas gift for you if you get some good reviews by users here.