Wild Animal Overpopulation

By DB
More and more there has been problems with controlling the wild animal populations that have been invading human habitats. We have a black bear problem in New Jersey (U.S) with the number soaring to over 3,500. These bears are surviving longer due to favorable living conditions and a abundance of food sources. According to Biologist Patrick Carr, "they’re not food-stressed because we have such a diverse habitat, so the cubs are getting tremendous resources, which is increasing their survival rate." In addition, the Black Bear's liter has also grown and the cubs mortality rate has improved. There have been numerous complaint calls by residents about these bears becoming a nuisence in their neighborhoods. The most common complaints are threat to life and property by breaking into homes, attacking livestock or destroying agriculture. What do you think can be done to reduce this problem? Should a hunting season be used to control New Jersey's black bear population? Source- NJ Star Ledger Photo- state of New Jersey
Due to the fault of humans taking up way too much space and constantly taking over territory which should be for wildlife, I am against hunting them. I think the Humane Society of the USA has a better way to deal with the problem.
More black bears are being seen in the suburbs. Some simple steps can prevent encounters and teach bears to avoid people.
What this article is saying is to be careful with your food sources and make them less accessible to bears? Have I got that right? I guess their theory is less food available less trouble and in time a reduced population?
@dgobucks226 Humans are not the best at keeping things clean, such as outdoor grills, and garbage securely contained. I thought sterilization would work, but there are some problems with that method.
Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs   Search All of NJ This Site Return to Division of Science, Research and Environmental Health Home An Analysis of the Feasibility of Using Fertility
@Corbin5 I guess we should reduce the human population by having a hunting season to kill off people. Maybe the bears could do the hunting? I'm just kidding! They really have no easy solution and people ae the bears worst enemy. P.S. Right about humans not keeping grills clean
The problem is we keep building houses on their land, we need to leave the rest of their land with them.
Progress and requiring more space for expanding human population is a real problem and contributor for sure.
I do not like the idea to kill animals, so I think that the only solution is to sterilize the bears, as we do for cats, to stop proliferation.
It makes sense! A much better solution to try for sure.
@dgobucks226 Humans are cruel, WE invade their territory and then we want to kill them because there are too many. Well, we did this with early inhabitants of many places.
@LadyDuck Very true and something that has gone on throughout history. In a word "territoriality"
I say kill only what you will eat.
Don't we already have a bear hunting weekend? Or is that just for brown bears? I hate it so much that I try to block it out when it happens.
It may come to controlled killing to keep population in check.
Sadly, I think that will become more of a solution.
@dgobucks226 It isn't good for the bears themselves to be overcrowded.
@JohnRoberts I wonder then, if they would self-regulate their own population. Survival of the fittest and competing for food sources? Sorry, you comment had me thinking this to myself? I don't know the answer, just speculating?
People and wild animals moving into each others neighborhoods is problematic. I have been up in arms several times over the last few years hearing of mountain lions being killed due to people encroaching on their territories. It's not fair. They should be relocated, not killed.
I think that is a sensible solution?
@dgobucks226 ......Why must they always have to kill the animal?
@celticeagle Very good question. They need to try better solutions...
@FayeHazel (11802)
Hm, for awhile I didn't like hunting - but there is a valid point - in that it does keep things in balance.
It is such a difficult issue. There are many hunters out there that love tracking and killing animals. It is a way to reduce the population, but a horrible way to do it. But I guess if they did not control the animal population, things like starvation or animals killing off each other would occur. Lot of interesting good comments here on a subject with no easy solution...
@FayeHazel (11802)
@dgobucks226 -- I do not personally enjoy the thought of hunting. I don't know if I could so casually take an animal's life (unless it were hurting me or someone else, or I needed it to eat) -- that said -- I do eat meat. I just don't like thinking about where it comes from. So... for myself - I don't mind hunters as long as they make use of eating what they hunt -- sport hunters are a different deal
@FayeHazel Well stated and just saw your post. Very good!
@bluesa (12850)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am not certain what can be done, but I have an aversion to hunting. People are taking over natures space. I hope there will be a non-violent way to resolve this.
People need to be more careful with their trash. If food is available bears will look for it.
@bluesa (12850)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dgobucks226 I agree, the onus is on people.
@bluesa Of course we know how that will turn out
Here in Colorado Springs, deer are overpopulated. No idea what they plan on doing about it, though.
We have a deer hunting season here. I see so many deer killed on the side of the road now.
@dgobucks226 - Sad. I think they have brought up hunting in the city because there are so many of them. Like that's going to end well.
@teamfreak16 Exactly
This is a tough one. It's hard to know what is best. I'm just glad we don't have bears here.
Yes, I would much rather meet face to face with a Koala or Kangaroo than a Black Bear, lol.
Hmmm. bear is the rare animals in China. More flexible hunting policy maybe can alleviate this problem.
Yes, this might be necessary.
@iridion9 (2329)
3,500 only? and humans 7 Billions? Are you joking me??? It is us humans invaded their habitats, not the way around. Sorry, I don't want to offend you but that is the reality it is humans that is over populating this planet.
Your not offending me! I'm just posing the question. I am not advocating killing bears.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Not sure what they do about animals coming into residential areas..happens here too DB.
Definitely a problem with no easy solution OT.
@peachpurple (11039)
boycott the hunters!
I would panic if a black bear turned up at my gate.
@Fleura (6219)
In your first sentence you say 'wild animal populations that have been invading human habitats' - are you sure it isn't the other way around?
You could say that, it's all on your perspective. After all, the animals were there first! But since the article is one written by humans, and not animals, their perspective probably is not going to be sympathetic to the bears.
@Fleura (6219)
@dgobucks226 Absolutely, if the bears were the ones writing about the problem the outlook would be quite different!
@Fleura Agreed
They are not invading human habitat, humans have destroyed their habitat. Humans must stop trying to play God, all we've accomplished is to destroy natural ecosystems.
Yes, we do! Lots of ignorance or lack of knowledge out there.