Thanksgiving day! What is Substitute for Turkey??

@kepweng (6386)
Good day to All ! im not living in a country which is thanksgiving day is celebrated! is the Turkey is expensive thing ?? or it Should be a Center of attention in thanksgiving day?? why Not regular duck ,goose or chicken roasted or grilled?? what is Special?? about Turkey! why its always the Star in thanksgiving!
We donĀ“t celebrate Thanksgiving in my country either. But the reason why turkey is tradicional is because, when the famished pilgrims came to America, they saw wild turkeys that could be eaten.
You can make whatever you want for dinner. Many times a chicken had been the star of my dinner table.
@peachpurple (10991)
mashed potato and muffins , no chicken or turkeys
You can choose whatever you like for Thanksgiving Day. Turkey is just a tradition, but I do think a lot of people cook what they like best. I am a vegetarian, so I do not eat the turkey, but I like all the side dishes.
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in our country, turkey here is not expensive because it surely not a favorite food.
@iridion9 (2329)
We don't have thanks giving here in the Philippines. But I tried turkey before, it was really delicious. I'm not sure if ostrich is taster than turkey.XD
Turkey is traditional I believe because that is what they had available at some of the early (maybe even the first) Thanksgiving celebrations. Some people do just a chicken if there are just 2 or 3 people eating. Others have ham instead. You can have whatever you want as long as you are enjoying the company of your family and you are feeling thankful for what you have.
@Micmac (6849)
I love turkey. Do you cook your own turkey? A delicious substitute for turkey is roasted hens.
@ramapo17 (19051)
• Melbourne, Florida
If we are not going to someone's house for Thanksgiving I will cook a turkey at home. I will also cook a turkey at home a few days later if we go out for Thanksgiving. Turkey is one of my favorite foods. I also love the sandwiches to eat the days after.
@Micmac (6849)
@ramapo17 I love cooking a turkey, stuffing and all the gravy too. Yes, the turkey sandwiches are a real treat. Even nice to use leftover turkey in soup or add to pasta.
@ramapo17 (19051)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Micmac I never get tired of turkey.
@ramapo17 (19051)
• Melbourne, Florida
Turkey has been the tradition forever and it is one of my favorite foods. I do not like most meat and the turkeys are usually large so we hardly ever eat them unless a holiday.