Black Socks

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“I hope you remembered your black socks??” That’s what I said to my daughter as she walked past me down the backstage hallway. She was clad almost entirely in black. Longsleeve black shirt, black leggings and black shoes and a slightly startling pair of grey socks. There are a few times during our production of Alice when my daughter doubles as a stagehand and needs to be able to scoot discretely across the stage in the dark and a totally black outfit is essential. I was a little disturbed by those grey socks. “No. Why?” She frowned at me, clearly clueless about my concern. “Because you CAN NOT go on stage like that!!!” “Um….Mom?” The expression on her face indicated that she was convinced I had finally completely lost my grip on reality. “I’ll be wearing my boots on stage.” I knew that. Maybe I am beginning to lose my grip.
lol you were just looking out for her but she had it covered.
She's been a trooper through the past few weeks. Her schedule has been grueling with evening rehearsals and a job that starts at 5 am.
@Platespinner that is a lot to deal with. She is a trooper for sure.
@responsiveme (14414)
I love your photo It happens , you are handling so many things
Thanks, the photo shows the backdrop we set up for kids to have their photo taken with one or more of the characters from the production.
@Platespinner I am lining up there with the Cheshire Cat
@spiderdust (2761)
• San Jose, California
How many nights are left for the show?
Three more performances. We strike after Sunday's matinee.
• San Jose, California
@Platespinner I know you're going to breathe a huge sigh of relief when it's finished!
@gnatsmom (769)
I remember those days. When we lived in upstate NY, my oldest performed in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, and my 2nd and 3rd were stage hands. It was no trouble getting my son clad in all black. But my 2nd daughter, has long, thick blonde hair. Getting her hair to stay up in a black cap was a challenge.
Yesterday my King of Hearts sashayed across the stage with brown hiking boots on because he left his black shoes at home. Shoes that are supposed to be left with the rest of the costumes for the duration of the production.
@gnatsmom (769)
@Platespinner Sounds familiar. My daughter has dancers who do the same thing. Instead of keeping everything they need in their dance bags, they leave it here and there, then they try to improvise when they leave stuff at home.
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
No, you just want everything to turn out, perfect!:)
But I KNEW she was wearing her boots. Afterall I'm the one who approved her choice of footwear for the show.
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner You just wanted everything to turn out perfect:)
• Riga, Latvia
Well you were just expressing concern. I don't think it means losing your grip it is more like being overly concerned and hoping all goes well.
To a teenager, silly things like that are a clear indication of a parent not being on the ball. I was a teenager once, too.
@cahaya1983 (9631)
It happens. At least they were grey, what if they were red!
They were light grey. On a dark stage, they would have been more visible than red. Neon yellow however....
@UncleJoe (8556)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I own about 40 pair of black socks. Unfortunately, they started out as white. Perhaps I should wash them more often.
I bet you can find them with your eyes closed.
@Morleyhunt (16689)
That's not as bad as me searching for my cellphone while talking to my sister (other sister) on the missing cellphone. . Yup....it official. I've lost my marbles.
I've done that sort of thing a time or two as well. Crazy must run in our genes
Lol that is funny it makes you sound super stressed but is likely an honest mistake and a bit airheaded lol I have made mistakes like this as well many times I call them my duh moments.
I've had a few problems to deal with backstage, but none were caused by the teens in the production and few were caused by the children. Most were caused by a small group of adults who should know better.
@peachpurple (11038)
black with black, perfect match
Black with grey; not so much.
@Deepizzaguy (7618)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Welcome to the madness of teaching your kids to do the right deal. Conflicts will happen from time to time.
The madness of teaching.my kids is annafliction I have enjoyed for the past 23+ years....
Well, you do have your wonderful daughter around to pick up the slack if you lose your grip. My grip is lessening by the day.
I wish I could have gotten a photo of the expression on her face. She was quite clearly convinced that I was completely off my rocker.
@LoriAMoore (10010)
Oh, funny. black boots? LOL!
With those black boots, she could have worn neon yellow socks and no one would have ever known.
You forgot she was wearing her boots, it's because you are stressed and concerned and you want to be sure that everything is perfect.
@kepweng (6388)
hope you dont Wash the black socks