Customer Service Done Right

@moffittjc (35692)
Gainesville, Florida
On November 7th I order a MacBook Pro laptop online from Apple for my daughter for Christmas. On the 8th I got a shipment notice, with a delivery date of November 10th. Well, the 10th rolled around and the delivery never showed up. But, I had deliveries in the past from FedEx show up a day or two late before, so I figured I'd give it a couple of days. Well, last night I received an email from Apple asking if I was satisfied with everything. I replied back that I hadn't received the delivery yet, it was due for the 10th and it was now the 14th and I was concerned. I told them that when I checked the tracking, it just said "delivery pending." I thought I wouldn't get any response, or that I would get some half-excuse from Apple that I would have to take up the issue with FedEx, and that it was out of Apple's hands. But lo and behold, and much to my surprise, I received an email from Apple first thing this morning telling me that they were shipping me another laptop right away free of charge, and that they were guaranteeing next day delivery. Now that is customer service! Especially considering I never asked them for anything, I just simply stated that I was concerned that my delivery was several days past due! So I emailed Apple back tonight to thank them for such prompt service, and to ask them what I should do if I receive my original laptop order after I receive their replacement order (assuming the original order wasn't lost). I have never received such prompt service and response from a large corporation like that before. Have you? I would have thought that at best they would have told me they would look into the delivery issue for me, but in my wildest dreams I never would have thought that they would just send me another laptop, no questions asked. And mind you, the order was for a $2,000 laptop.
@bluesa (12812)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I have never gotten service like that @moffittjc , it is great that they were so helpful. Very impressive. What an awesome Christmas gift btw!
@bluesa (12812)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc a thoughtful and sensible gift at the same time. Lovely
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa And pricey! lol
@bluesa (12812)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc , lol, I can imagine!
@YrNemo (8553)
Your daughter is lucky OK to have a daddy like you. Imagine having such an expensive laptop! Real cool! (I will have to go searching for someone to adopt me fast, perhaps I might have such a gift before I hit St Peter's gate! )
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
She's been through 2 laptops in the last four years. With her heading off to college next year, I want to make sure she has a quality laptop that will survive all her time at the university!
@YrNemo (8553)
@moffittjc one laptop per two years? I hope you bought extra warranty this time, just in case.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@YrNemo She always got the most inexpensive ones. Or I should say her mom always got her the cheapest ones. She couldn't afford much else.
Oh wow. if i didnt trust you, id say you were lying.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks. It truly happened! And just like they said they would do, they shipped a new one overnight to me. Received it last Thursday evening.
@moffittjc awesome
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn Next step is to find a University of Florida student who will be willing to take the laptop and download the Microsoft Office Suite for me. UF students get to download Microsoft Office Suite for free! Otherwise, I would have to pay like $450-$500 to download Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook!
Yeah, those larger companies have a much better Customer service than the smaller ones or ones no one is familiar with, I've never had a problem with sites like Walmart, Target, Petsmart or Petco, if I have a damaged package they send me a new package and I usually do not have to return the first package.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
If my original laptop order ever finally shows up (it hasn't to this point), I would do the right thing and return it to Apple.
I never would have doubted that @moffittjc but I get the feeling that original laptop has found its way to some other place.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@rebelann I'm pretty sure it's now a Christmas present for some FedEx delivery guy's girlfriend or kid! haha
@DaddyEvil (22401)
Congratulations, Jeff! I am sure your daughter will be delighted with her Christmas present! Yeah, a couple of years ago I bought a cheap printer from Wally World for my daughter. (It was on clearance for $25.) When she opened it, it was clearly broken. I told her I would take it back and buy another one when I got off work the next evening. To my shock, she called HP and ask them if it was their habit to package and sell broken equipment... The service rep ask which store the printer was purchased at so Pretty told them. Then the service rep told Pretty they would send her a check so she could purchase another printer. Two day later Pretty received a check from HP... for $600! Pretty called HP customer service, gave the reference number and told them they made a mistake. She told them the printer she purchased was only $25 so she needed to send them back their check. The customer service rep said there was no mistake. Pretty was supposed to use the check to buy whatever printer she wanted, on them. She was told that most people would have just thrown the printer away, figuring they had gotten screwed by a big company. They appreciated her call and wanted to do something nice for her... Pretty ordered a new printer directly from HP. IDK how much she spent on it, but it is a very nice machine. It is also the fastest printer I have encountered to date. SMH! Occasionally, nice things do happen in this world, Jeff. Go figure!
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, that is awesome Rob! Pretty got very lucky in that instance. That was really cool what HP did, since obviously they didn't have to go above and beyond like that! Now that's how you build loyalty to a brand!
@DaddyEvil (22401)
@moffittjc I agree that she was really lucky, Jeff... I think she should have let me return it to Walmart, though. IDK about loyalty to a brand, since we shouldn't need a new printer now for who knows how long... but the last two pc's I've bought since that happened are HP's!
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DaddyEvil I've owned several HP products over the years (desktops, laptops and printers), and they have all been good, reliable machines at reasonable prices. I have nothing against HP, but I'm an Apple guy now (mostly because I can sync all my Apple gadgets together).
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
wow. that is great. that would be 2 months rent and more here. lol. I would have been right on that. I must admit we seldom get such great service from anyone. must be a great company
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, that would be about two months rent here as well! haha Did you get a lot of rain last night and today? It's been raining cats and dogs here in Gainesville since about 11pm last night!
@bunnybon7 (33102)
• Holiday, Florida
@moffittjc yes it has rained most of the day here. I don't know how long since I woke up at 7 am and it was raining so I went back to sleep
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bunnybon7 Well, it started her in Gainesville at about 11pm last night, so it must have started where you are at least at that tie as well!
@cahaya1983 (9613)
Wow, amazing customer service. Never experienced anything like that especially from such a company with that reputation.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Maybe I just got lucky in this instance. Maybe they're not like that all the time. Maybe the person who answered my email was just in a really good mood that day! haha
@JESSY3236 (5048)
cool. Your daughter could have a backup laptop if it ever breaks.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
If by some chance the first laptop were to ever arrive, I wouldn't keep it. I'm too honest. I would ship it back to Apple. But, if I was dishonest enough to keep it, I would probably give it to my son, so that both of my kids had brand-new laptops! lol
@LoriAMoore (9987)
That's great when that happens.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
Definitely! Doesn't happen that often. Actually restores a little bit of my faith back in the corporate world.
That is excellent service, but I guess you get what you pay for!
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
That is true! For what I paid for that laptop, they had better give me the best damn customer service ever! haha
Amazon and play.com used to be good with things like that. A fair few Christmasses ago we ordered an iPod and it was allegedly delivered to the back garden. When we informed them, truthfully, that the item hadn't been delivered they sent another one, no quibble.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree that Amazon used to be so much better years ago. I've had no issues with them personally, but I've heard others tell me that their customer service has gone downhill.
@Srbageldog (5468)
That's awesome! I don't use Apple products (they are out of my price range) but that is very cool that they did that.
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
There's no doubt that Apple products are very expensive, but I've found that they tend to last much longer than their competitors, so when you compare lifespan on one product over another, the Apple products then suddenly look much more affordable.
You know, that's funny, but I had forgotten about an interaction with Apple over a decade ago. It was about a small amount of money owed, and to them it has to be insignificant. But I got a profuse apology and was quickly given credit. And wow, for a laptop? That's impressive!
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with Apple's customer service, but this went above and beyond my expectations.
Wow that's awesome they did that! That is great customer service. =)
@moffittjc (35692)
• Gainesville, Florida
You would know what would be even better customer service? If they let me keep both laptops (assuming the first one they mailed out ever shows up)! lol