Hitting the Jackpot

@moffittjc (35735)
Gainesville, Florida
Each year in November, the city I work for has a big lunch gathering to celebrate safety. It is hosted by our Risk Management Department. At the beginning of each year, they have a budget that is used to pay for employee medical bills for workplace injuries. The less injuries there are throughout the year, the less of that budget they have to use. Well, at the end of the year, whatever is not spent out of that budget is given away as cash prizes to employees, as a reward for being safe throughout the year. It's just one of many incentives employees receive to be safe at work throughout the year. Our organization has 2,500 employees, and out of that number, there were only 31 employee incidents/accidents during the year. And of those 31, only 6 resulted in lost work time. But I digress. So anyway, at the safety luncheon, the Risk Management puts every employee's name in a big barrel, mixes them up, and then draws names for cash prizes. They give out $50, $100, $250, and $500 prizes, with one lucky employee getting a $1000 jackpot! The more money saved from not paying medical bills for workplace injuries, the more that is used toward the prize raffle. Because I am a salaried manager, I am not eligible for the prize drawings. Only hourly employees get to participate. But, everyone who attends the safety luncheon gets a scratch-card, and if you scratch your card and it says instant winner, you win a Yeti mug. Well, my scratch-card was an instant winner, so I won a Yeti! I was so happy and excited you would have thought that I just won the $1000 jackpot drawing! lol It's the small things that bring me the most pleasure in life! How about you? Have you ever won anything in a raffle or prize drawing?
That's fantastic. I won a weed eater way back in the early 1990s but I haven't won anything since. I'm still hoping for that PCH prize
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think we're all still waiting for the PCH prize! Every now and then I peek my head outside the front door to see if they are standing out there waiting to knock on my door! I'm telling you, it's going to happen one of these days! lol
Yepper, to me too @moffittjc course by then I'll be a ghost
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@rebelann Well, if you're a ghost by then, you can scare them into giving you the prize money! lol
We do quite well from time to time. I know what you're saying about the Yeti mug. We went on a ferry once with a group of friends and one was able to use her newish pension card to pay 50c instead of $1.50 for her ticket. We were all about the same age and we all got tickets for 50c. You would have thought we'd won the jackpot too. We were so excited.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Judy, it's the little things in life that bring us so much pleasure!
@moffittjc That's very true. We'd all do well to remember it.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Once I realized that my happiness in life wasn't dependent on the size and number of toys I had, it made it easy to appreciate the small things.
Wow that's awesome of you guys! And so glad there wasn't more accidents! Congrats on your mug win. Yes I have. In October when my mom and I went to the picnic here where we live, we put our names and my brothers in the raffle and we won with his name. Got two $15 giftcards for the bowling alley/ arcade.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always cherish the little wins in my life, things like Yeti mugs, or coffee mugs, or even gift cards. It doesn't take a lot to please me! lol
@moffittjc same. As long as its stuff i can use.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn Yeah, I'm one of those people that wouldn't mind getting a toaster oven or vacuum cleaner as a birthday or Christmas present, because it is something that I need and will use over and over again! haha
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Congrats on winning that Yeti mug! Doesn't matter how big or small a prize is, a win is a win @moffittjc . I won a bottle of champagne and VIP tickets.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
What were the VIP tickets for? And who was/is your guest? Did you drink the champagne yet? I want to drink some champagne with you!
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc Oh! It was quite a while back. The VIP tickets were for an event at a dance club and I took my best friend at the time with, she had gone through a break up and needed a night out. The champagne is long gone too, but I would like to drink some champagne with you too!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa I'm always up for a bottle of champagne!
@1creekgirl (8780)
I know you'll enjoy that Yeti! I don't remember winning many prizes like that.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I used it for my morning coffee today. It is a big Yeti tumbler, so it holds a lot of liquid, and it did a wonderful job of keeping my coffee hot all morning until I finally was able to drink it all!
@moffittjc My husband has one, but he really likes the taller one. It keeps his ice water cold all night.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@1creekgirl I now have two Yeti mugs, one a smaller, shorter one, and the other a taller, fatter one. I do have a nice skinny, tall water bottle by a different brand that is a competitor to Yeti (Hydroflask)
I only won mugs and stack of cards in Las Vegas. My mother is the lucky one in our family, she won a car when I was a teenager.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, a car! That is amazing! I had a friend of mine win a car about 15 years ago. The only bad thing about winning such a large item was that he had to pay a lot of taxes on the prize.
@moffittjc This prize came without taxes to pay. My father had to change the car and the car came at the right moment.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck That's nice that the prize came without taxes! That certainly wouldn't be the case here in the US. The government would make you pay taxes on your winnings!
@UmiNoor (3427)
I think winning anything would be delightful. Congratulations on your mug. It looks really nice; a collectors item. I'm never lucky to win anything in a raffle. The only time I was lucky to win, I won a slow cooker.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would love to win a slow cooker! It's interesting that you mentioned slow cookers, because I was looking at one tonight at the store and trying to decide if I wanted to buy it or not! I chose not to buy one, but I really wouldn't mind having one!
@UmiNoor (3427)
@moffittjc Mine is now sitting idle in the store room. I don't even know if it's still working. I just don't know how to use it.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@UmiNoor I'm pretty sure you just put food in it and turn it on! That's what is so nice about slow cookers, the simplicity of how to use them!
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
You are so right on this one. Small things are wonderful and keep us so happy.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm a big fan of coffee, so this huge Yeti tumbler will be perfect for that morning pot of coffee I need to get me going! And then throughout the rest of the day I can put water in it and it will keep it cold all day long!
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
@moffittjc Sounds like you did hit the jackpot on this one.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@poehere I'm just happy that I won something useful that I will be able to use on a daily basis!
@Shellyann36 (8598)
Way back when I worked at a nuclear power plant and each Christmas they had a huge party for every employee at the site. They had drawings for several cash prizes from $100 up to $1500. I won $250 that night. I was ecstatic. That helped me with Christmas for the kids that year. Those Yeti cups are very nice. One of my older son's got one for Christmas last year at his job.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's the second Yeti mug I've received as a gift and/or raffle prize! My first one was much smaller, a 12-oz. mug instead of the 30-oz. mug I won yesterday. Those Yeti mugs sure come in handy for a lot of things!
@moffittjc Oh that is nice to have both sizes. Congrats on your win.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Shellyann36 Thanks! They also have a really small size (I think it's 8 or 10 ounces) that I'd also like to get. Kind of have a collection going on! lol
It is a wonderful feeling to win. I have won in other areas but not a raffle or prize drawings.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I just thought it was funny that all these other employees are winning $1000, $500 and $250 prizes, all I got was a little Yeti mug! But I'm not greedy, I am very pleased to have such a useful item!
@Platespinner (18577)
I got an Ozark Trail version of that for my hours put in with our local theatre last year. It made my day, and I use it all the time. The previous year I got a traditional coffee mug. Again, it was a small thing that put a big smile on my face, and it gets used all the time.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always enjoy the small things in life! If it's something practical that I will use every day, then I'm even more excited to receive it as a gift. Last year, one of my gifts from my kids was a really nice coffee mug. It's my favorite mug and I use it every day! The Ozark Trail mugs are quite equitable to the Yeti mugs, but for half the price! lol
@LoriAMoore (10121)
It's fun to win ANYTHING! And a Yeti is a great win!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was ecstatic last year when I won a nice Christmas ornament for my Christmas tree! lol
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
Very nice anything Yeti is good.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree! I love Yeti. I wish I would win one of those $500 coolers of theirs.
Great for your winning
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks! It felt good. I don't often win a lot of things, so when I do, I have to bask in the glory for a little while! lol
We won a fandangly radio in a raffle at Husband's works Christmas do one year. That's the most exciting thing I've won in a raffle. I much prefer the prizes I win in online competitions ... I got a £250 voucher for a store where the cheapest item of clothing is about £300 this summer!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Congrats on the voucher you won! I never win anything, so I'm perfectly content winning a small prize such as a Yeti tumbler.
@Srbageldog (5612)
Sounds like you have a pretty awesome employer! I bet whoever won the $1000 jackpot was equally as excited as you were over your Yeti mug! Congrats!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm sure the guy who won the $1000 prize was jumping for joy. That will probably pay for a good chunk of his Christmas presents this year! And I'm perfectly happy with my Yeti I won! I even used it this morning, and I'm planning to take it with me this weekend when my son and I go camping on the beach in St. Augustine, FL.
Yay! Congratulations on being a winner. I like how your company gives back to it's employees by doing the fun raffles and scratch off games. :)
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, I work for the government, so technically we can't earn bonuses, so they have to find other ways to "give back" to the employees. We also get a $350 reward if we exercise all year and eat healthy and pass a physical in November. If we stay healthy, it keeps our medical costs down. They return the savings back to us for living a healthy lifestyle.
@moffittjc Ahh gotcha. :) That's a nice motivation, but does the $350 reward get taxed. All the bonuses I get are always taxed
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Yes, everything gets taxed. Even our clothes (uniforms) that the city provides us.
@YrNemo (8724)
Got a first prize raffle once. I was over the moon!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've won small raffles, door prizes, and drawings before, but I've never won a large jackpot!
@YrNemo (8724)
@moffittjc I still feel bad about that winning! I brought it home, only to be told that all the stuff in that basket were full of poisons. I was young at the time and very trusting. I dared not touch anything in that basket (a giant one). I found out with time that I was tricked by my nasty housemate back then. By the time I got wise, everything in that basket had gone bad. (I was so keen to share my 'loots' with my siblings!) Haven't won anything since! (Not a single thing unless you mean bad lucks!)
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@YrNemo Have you heard of the old saying, "It's better to have bad luck than no luck at all?" Yeah, whoever came up with that saying was an idiot! hahaha
@DaddyEvil (22414)
Congratulations, again, Jeff! Yeti makes an excellent insulated mug! Well, I can't think of anything I've ever won in a drawing or anything like that, but I can think of several things that I've gotten unexpectedly... When I came to myLot, I was looking for a site where I could feel at home. The first site I joined online was WebAnswers. I was one of the last Moderators on that site. The site was slowly failing. The owners had no intention of making repairs to it. I was also a member on Bubbs, which was also dying... You may not believe this, but... well... I am not quite as confident as I may appear on myLot. I was scared when I got here. I didn't know anyone and had no clue what I was doing here. I knew I could "fix" part of that problem myself, by returning to Bubbs and inviting my friends there to join me here. Several of them agreed to make the move. Then I came back to myLot, determined to understand this site so I could help my friends if/when problems arose. To understand this site, I had to jump in with both feet. That left no room for shyness on my part. I wouldn't let my friends down, though, so I jumped into the first discussion I found and started asking questions... I KEPT asking questions until I was confident my friends and I could be happy here. I've been here since September 2015. On that two year journey, I have been given the gift of friendship from so many people I can't even keep count of them all! (Yeah, you might be one of those people, Jeff.) Maybe not as exciting as a Yeti Mug, but I'll keep the gift(s) I've been given and share them back with as many people as are interested in having it. Yeah, I know this is not what you were asking, but.... will you accept this as a viable/valid response on your discussion?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't remember exactly the time period when Bubblews was heading down the toilet, but about a month before they bit the dust I explored this site. So, for about a month, I was on both myLot and Bubblews. Thankfully, that gave me time to get acclimated before Bubblews finally went under and I was left with myLot full-time. Thankfully, there were many wonderful people I recognized here that had migrated over from Bubblews, so I immediately felt at home! So...back to your comment. Yes, the Yeti mug is nice and all, but nothing beats friendships, so with that in mind you definitely hit the jackpot here with all the friends you've made along the way! And thanks for considering me a friend!
@DaddyEvil (22414)
• Eugene, Oregon
Nice mug and good safety record too. I won a $25 gift certificate recently.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I can help you spend that $25 gift certificate if you'd like! We can go out and buy a Yeti mug! haha
• Eugene, Oregon
@moffittjc What a great idea!