Can you say NO to your employer?

@thelme55 (11876)
Germany
In all my life I have worked with many employers of different nationalities. I have worked with German, Austrian, Irish and Thai employers. Every one of them has its good and bad sides but the one I have not like is the working mentality of a Thai. I mean they are not bad at all but they don't think much about the future schedule of work. Just a weekly schedule but even that, is not fixed at all. You are paid if you have clients but if not, you still have to stay at work just in case you will have one. Well, rice is at work for you to eat. Sometimes, I feel like I am one of those board game figures. Be pushed on what day you can work even if it is not your scheduled working day. When one is having a vacation, my scheduled day is being changed every week. Sometimes, I am confused. I am supposed to work only 2 days a week as a mini jobber. It should be easy for my employer but sometimes they think I work full time. Gladfully I live in Germany for a long time that I can say NO if ever I am asked for an extra day. The other day my Thai workmate came to work just for the extra person who has booked an appointment that no one can massage. Poor girl, she couldn't say no and to think that she lives 30 kilometers from our work. Her German boyfriend was angry of course because she couldn't say no. This morning, my boss called because he thought I will be working today. NO! I have already plans for today I said. My boss is getting confused. Can you say NO to your employer? Rant Over! How I wish I have this chocolate cake (photo) now to eat. That phone call get to my nerves.
It can be difficult if your schedule is all over the place. I'm glad you're able to say no when you need to.
@thelme55 (11876)
Yes, indeed but I don't allow them to ruin my private schedule @JudyEv unless I have nothing to do at home.
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, the cake looks good. My worst job in NYC was when the head boss was Chinese. He had such a hard head. Nothing got through. One time I had to leave work early and when he told me I wasn't going I told him it was very important and that I am going and I did.
@thelme55 (11876)
I think Chinese are the worst employer as I heard a lot of negative feedback from my friends who were working with Chinese before. I am glad you went @RasmaSandra
@thelme55 yes it is. They will use all the energy from their employee like a wet towel being left to dry.
@thelme55 (11876)
@wongchoiyee really bad. Have you experienced working with a Chinese boss?
Yes, just say no I only work 2 days sorry.
@thelme55 (11876)
That is what I always said that is why I ask about my working schedule weekly. It seems they are not getting that into there mind @TRBRocks420.
@nomus24g (16462)
Did u ever work with an Indian?
@thelme55 (11876)
No, I haven't @nomus24g. How are they as employers?
@kepweng (6407)
i Think we should Not judge people by thier race or nationality
@thelme55 (11876)
No, we shouldn´t @kepweng. What I am posting here was my experience working with my different bosses from different countries.
@wongchoiyee (6585)
I hope he can understand your situation.
@thelme55 (11876)
He got over it. It was his fault for not listening to what I said @wongchoiyee
@Morleyhunt (16752)
Having a regular schedule makes it easier to plan. I'm glad you are able to refuse work if it doesn't fit your timetable.
@thelme55 (11876)
I have a regular working days but they keep on changing it. I don't mind as long as I know it at least a week before because I have also a private life to attend to @Morleyhunt. I am glad that I am able to refuse. I am not depending on my income there.
@nela13 (707)
• Portugal
Sometimes It is difficult to say no because we are afraid of get fired but in your case you are protector by the law
@dpk262006 (54812)
If you are supposed to work only for two days in a week, there is no point summoning you for any other day. If Boss is ordering something unreasonable, I do not mind saying 'No'' to him.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
Oh sorry about your employer problem I can`t help you too much as I wasn`t able to experience working here but I got the chance to work with American boss and I don`t have problem telling him if I needed some break or vacation as he always tells me to make sure that the schedule will not be on our critical situations
That does not sound like a very secure job for anyone who works there. If you are there you should be paid!
Oh, that's not a good employer. She should have a schedule of who will be on duties on days of the week until weekend. Everyone has the right to a day off.
I would have to tell myself no... I can do that! Have you ever thought to open up your own business? I know you can massage and bake awesome cakes!
@acelawrites (10752)
You can choose a good boss/manager because you have the talents/skills. They must value and respect their employees.
@JustBhem (22599)
• Davao, Philippines
I did a while back. In our company before, we are required to work on our rest days so that means we only have a total of 1 off. And it is ridiculous because we cannot say no. One time I am so tired and I decided not to go to work during my rest day. Our Manager called me and was very angry, I told her - I NEED TO REST FOR GOD SAKE. I thought they are going to fire me, and when I go back to work. She called me and said - the next time you need to tell your Team Leader if you need an extra off. But I did explain my reason, that I did good with my stats and sales and I just needed my two off. The next month, they lift up the work on rest days off if needed or if the agents want to. Not mandatory anymore.
I worked all my life with my husband, that I can consider "my Boss". It's very hard to say NO to your own husband.
@miketagz (1329)
It depends on agreement. I reserve my right to say "No".
@pumpkinjam (5713)
I'm currently self-employed so yes, I can say 'no' to my employer! I work for a company, too, but it is in a self-employed capacity. I have had to say no on occasion when they have asked me to work. Usually, I'll only say no to them if it's too short notice, or if I know I already have other commitments. My previous employer was terrible, though. Yes, I could say no to her, but she'd always try to make me feel guilty about or she would tell me it was OK for me to get there a little later rather than simply accepting that I'd said I couldn't do the work. This is one of many reasons I only stayed with her for 10 months! She didn't seem to think 'no' applied to her.
@YrNemo (8678)
I don't mind helping you out with those chocolate cakes (out of my friendship with you here ). I used to be nice to everyone like that in the past out of naivety. The old me is wiser, I would say NO right at once and dang those bosses to hades!
Decades ago, I said no to the boss and got fired.