A spy in the family

Amiens Cathedral
Bunbury, Australia
@JamesHxstatic wrote recently about his former professor who had been a spy during the Vietnam war. You can catch up here: http://www.mylot.com/post/3126861/i-know-a-real-former-spy-he-was-my-literature-prof-at-the-u-of We found out only recently that one of Vince’s uncles (by marriage) had been a spy during World War II. The uncle (we’ll call him Michael) had been born in Egypt to Greek parents. They migrated to Australia in 1920 and in the 1930s Michael enlisted and was posted to the Middle East. Because of his knowledge of the language and culture, he played a vital role in Crete as a liaison between the remaining Allied forces and the local resistance. When the Germans overran the island, he was forced to stay behind due to the large number of evacuees. He became an operative for the British intelligence and had a price put on his head by the Germans. Eventually he and several other Australians were evacuated by submarine, escaping to Alexandria. The photo is of the Amiens Cathedral in France. Much of this building was protected by sandbags during the war and there is still a pump in the top of the building which was placed there in case of fire.
@topffer (36106)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Spies are everywhere. When a retired one told me that there were a lot of spies among archeologists, I started to track spies among my colleagues, but it is hard to make them confess it.
@YrNemo (14717)
Sounds like you were not one!
@topffer (36106)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@YrNemo I probably missed an opportunity when I refused to participate to an excavation in a war zone.
@topffer (36106)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@YrNemo The one I met was telling that he had trained spies for the equivalent of the CIA in France. I do not know if it was true, as I met him in a bar. But, thinking at it, it was plausible, and I started to look differently at my colleagues doing excavations in foreign countries.
Sounds like material for a book!
Probably. He had something to do with the American Army Small Ships Division in the Pacific as well.
Cretan resistance fought against Germans and Italians, who were allied in 1941, during the Battle of Crete.
The resistance fighters must have been a real thorn in the side of the enemy .
@JudyEv We also had resistance fighters in Italy, they were a thorn in the side of Germans but also of most Italian population, even if now they are depicted as hero. They stay hidden up in the mountains. They came down for commando missions, to kill a few Germans and then they came back to the mountains. The Germans killed 10 civilians for every German soldier killed. Those poor civilians were normal people and innocent. Most Italians do not like our "Partigiani", because they had family members killed thanks to those "coward fighters".
@LadyDuck I guess it was much the same in France as the resistance hid in the mountains there too.
@FayeHazel (19951)
Wow, that would make a fine movie
Yes, I guess it would. There must be so many stories like this from the war years.
@FayeHazel (19951)
@JudyEv So true, I wonder what all fascinating stories have been lost to time
@FayeHazel Dozens and dozens no doubt. Sometimes an old diary gets found in an attic somewhere and another story sees the light of day.
@YrNemo (14717)
A beautiful church there! Don't know how they built it all those years ago, perhaps from lots of adoration and faith! Re: spies, they are/were a special breed. Glad to have no spy in my circle or family. It sounds sad to be removed once their IDs were found out (from movies I watched or books I read!).
So many of the towns and villages we passed through had incredibly beautiful churches. I've no idea how they managed to build the steeples so high when there were no cranes or proper scaffolding.
@YrNemo (14717)
@JudyEv I often wonder about that whenever I see beautiful architectures.
@ptrikha_2 (10234)
@JudyEv May be historically too, they could have something similar to scaffoldings
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
My grandmother was a high ranking officer in Tito's Partizan army. I never saw her but I did read about some of the brave victories she participated in. That Cathedral looks a lot like a one we have here in Belgium.
That's pretty cool. Where did you find he information on her? And here's a photo of the inside of the cathedral.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv there was a history book about Partisans in a local library I used to read as a kid in former Yugoslavia. I couldn't find that book again ever. And my mother also told me a bit. That looks enormous in the picture. And very beautiful.
@Madshadi That's a shame you can't find the book again.
Being a spy is a delicate and dangerous job actually. One has to be so secretive and discreet about what he is doing so as not to be discovered.
I wouldn't like to be a spy. It is a very dangerous job.
@JudyEv Me too.
• Eugene, Oregon
Really interesting Judy, and thanks for the mention. Those who spied on the Axis powers in WW II and anytime really when people go undercover to subvert an enemy must be very brave.
That's true. You would be living on your wits the whole time.
@1creekgirl (11961)
How great to have such an exciting and brave relative in your husband's family!
None of the living family really knew him as he divorced Vince's father's sister soon after the war. Even the cousin (his son) was barely known but turned up recently on a visit.
You have a very interesting history.
No-one in the family ever knew about this tiil the long-lost cousin turned up.
@JudyEv Wow!
@responsiveme (16816)
This is the real thing... Having read and reread those spy novels I can think what a dangerous thing it must have been
Such people would be living on the wits every hour of the day and night.
@eileenleyva (10984)
This is a plot for the movies. How thrilling that espionage was. Must be an adventure escaping via submarine. The protagonist was exactly the operative needed. Love this story.
Thanks. They were exciting and dangerous times for some.
I am glad that he finally managed to escape.
When he first tried to board a boat he was held off at gunpoint. He was forced to go into hiding on the island and it was then that he joined the British intelligence.
Spies are kind of cool.
I think they are very cool indeed!
Wow that building is massive! Sounds like a very scary job to me! I will check out James’s post now :)
The cathedral was incredible. I'm so glad it didn't get bombed during the war. I'm sure it would have been irreplaceable. This is the main entrance. So ornate.
@JudyEv wow that is so impressive all that fine detail! Absolutely amazing. I wonder what the inside looks like.
@shaggin I'll add two more for you.
@ilocosboy (37369)
How I wish I could be that spy also he he
I think it would be very stressful. Exciting sometimes I guess but stressful at others.
@ilocosboy (37369)
the adventure and the excitement and the thrilling.
@ilocosboy And the getting caught and the torture and imprisonment.
What an interesting story. Had to be dangerous for him.
He is listed on a prisoner-of-war memorial at Ballarat in Victoria (Australia) so must have been held by the Germans long enough to be listed as such.
@JudyEv - Did he escape, or was he there until the end of the war? I've always loved learning about WWII.
@teamfreak16 It seems he was there for about a year after the Germans over-ran the island but eventually he and several other Australians were evacuated by submarine.
Wow, how did you feel when you found out that there is spy in your family or Vince's family?
I guess I thought it was pretty 'cool'.
@JudyEv That is really cool Judy.
@crafty01 (337)
• Jamshedpur, India
I love to know more about spy stuff, their trade craft, do post some more intimate details about him.
I don't really know any more about him. Because he divorced his wife soon after the war, none of the family knew him. He is listed as a prisoner-of-war on a memorial in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.
@crafty01 (337)
• Jamshedpur, India
@JudyEv my bad luck
@Shellyann36 (11273)
Such a neat story to share with everyone. No spies that I know of in my family.
We knew very little about him till his son turned up on a visit.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@JudyEv It is still a very interesting story. One that can be passed down from generation to generation.