GPS might be dangerous !

@topffer (36671)
Singapore, Singapore
A GPS does not always understand what you ask it. Last week in Toulouse a 50 years old lady who had asked to her GPS to drive her to an underground car park called «Jeanne d’Arc» entered with her car in the stairs of a «Jeanne d’Arc»... subway station ! Nobody has been hurt, but she was a bit panicked. The firemen were called to extract the car and the driver from the entrance of the subway. Do you follow blindly your GPS ? The photo was posted on Twitter.
This thing is more dangerous than useful. This year we already had 24 drivers entering the highway the wrong way because they followed the GPS. The one in our car is always turned off.
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
I saw several people taking my street in the wrong way when I was in my previous home, and then I noticed that the GPS in my car was not telling that there was a prohibited direction in this street.
@topffer Our friend who works in Monte-Carlo, has a brother who lives in Saint-Nom-la-Bretàche. When he went there last year for the Christmas holidays he followed the GPS to reach the house of his brother. At a certain moment, he noticed he was driving in front of the same place for the 4th time. There were recent road works, the GPS was not updated and he was continuously turning around the same roundabout. He loves technology.
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
@LadyDuck Some GPS seem to be never updated. They are not always bad : when I went to the island of Ré last summer, I would never have found the way to take with a bicycle from La Rochelle if I had not remembered that I had a GPS app on my phone.
I can't stand being told what to do . . . so I don't need GPS telling me where to go . I might get on my phone to locate a place and look on a map . . . but I do not use GPS to navigate me as I drive. I think I have a pretty keen sense of direction, so I'd like to keep that trait. My husband does use GPS a lot though . . . I try to tell him not to rely on it so much . . . use your brain, I say . . . the brain could prevent accidents like this!
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
Her brain worked but was a bit late, else she would have taken the subway with her car. Indeed, when you know where you go you do not need a GPS. But they are sometimes better than asking to people. Long before the GPS era, I asked once my way in Belgium and I received for response : "When you don't know, you don't go". And I know a few places where people are quite always sending you to the opposite direction when they respond.
@topffer I just don't know how anyone can make a turn before actually looking to see if they could make a turn. I assume she had to jump the curb too! Well before GPS, my father always had a habit of studying a map before going somewhere. He wrote down possible short cuts and alternative routes just in case. So I guess I picked up on that. But the times I've gotten lost, I've never had a problem getting out of the car to ask someone . . . usually it'd be in a working place (store) where I know the person should know the answer. So do you think the people you asked were being intentionally rude? I would be so flippin' angry if people purposely set me onto the wrong course!
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
@much2say They do that in a countryside where they were in war against the Republic 2 centuries ago. If you have a plate from another area, you can be quite sure that they will send you in a wrong direction. I have a few friends from this area, and they have the same problem now that their cars are not located there. For the Belgian... he was Belgian. We have a lot of jokes about Belgians : Why they have no ice cubes in Belgium ? Because they lost the recipe. Who invented the submarine ? A Belgian trying to build a boat. What is a smart man in Belgium ? A tourist. etc Indeed, the Belgians have also a lot of jokes about French.
@YrNemo (14736)
Not so far . Can't guarantee that I won't in the future though .
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
I think it can happen to anybody. At least she stopped after a few steps.
@YrNemo (14736)
@topffer Glad to hear you said so (that it could happen to anybody!). I was in a car with some male driver once. He did curse when the GPS told him to turn left on a certain street. I asked why he did so, he said, 'If I turn left, I will drive into the river there!'
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
@YrNemo An accident can always happen. When I was a toddler I released the hand break of the car of my father's car when it was parked near a river. The river was not deep, but I remember that my father was not happy.
@louievill (20371)
GPS is not popular in our country, we are a nation of Hell's drivers you know, a lot of our drivers are more dangerous than the dangers a GPS may pose
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
Italians are not bad too when it comes to Hell's drivers, especially in the South. I remember a few weird accidents like a bus pushing a car in a ravine.
@Fleura (7425)
I can't follow one because I don't have one, I use old-fashioned maps!
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
They are probably less dangerous.
@bluesa (15242)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I don't use GPS, it is just too erratic. Thank goodness no one was injured @topffer!
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
Apparently, yes, not even the car, although the driver was not able to leave it.
@bluesa (15242)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@topffer , so scary! No GPS for me.
@dpk262006 (56599)
Yes, I have experienced that GPS sometimes act whimsically and would take you to such places/streets which have no ending.
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
Yes, it happens. As long as you are careful enough to not enter with your car in a subway station...
@dpk262006 (56599)
@kepweng (19287)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
god scarry i Think gps Not accurate! waze is more credible
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
Waze is also a GPS app, I am not sure it would prevent something like this.
They are definitely less then perfect and could be dangerous. We knew someone whose GPS directed them into the ocean. Thank goodness they were paying attention.
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
The subway maybe better than the ocean. Especially if the car is near a cliff.
@thelme55 (15637)
OMG! That was dangerous. No, I don´t use GPS. They are annoying. I prepare to look at the map before going to a place I don´t know yet.
@topffer (36671)
• Singapore, Singapore
The map is certainly less dangerous.
• Pamplona, Spain
No not at all and specially in Spanish. That must have been really scary for her. We use the English language but we don´t blindly follow all the directions as most of the street names have been changed yet again. Lucky and very lucky no one was hurt including herself.
@cahaya1983 (10036)
Oh no I'm glad no one got hurt. We use Waze very often and although it did drive us crazy a few times fortunately nothing dangerous has happened. Hope it never will!
Never had GPS before. My husband used to have the Sync system that would give directions.