Arthur Treacher’s Fish and Chips

Riga, Latvia
They had 45 restaurants in 8 northern states of the U.S. as of 2008. The chain got its name from an English character actor called Arthur Treacher who became known as „the perfect butler” after playing the role of Jeeves a butler in several Shirley Temple movies. He also played Constable Jones in the movie Mary Poppins. In the early years when this restaurant first opened Treacher was a spokeman for the chain. In 1865 Malin’s of Bow a restaurant in London, England sold fried whitefish fillets wrapped in newspaper for customers to take-away. Arthur Treacher’s Inc. purchased Malin’s of Bow over a hundred years later and in 1969 opened their first restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. The same year National Fast Food Corp. a franchise company was also set up. Arthur Treacher’s had around 800 stores by 1979 throughout all of the U.S. When the „cod wars” began in 1981 where Britain and Iceland were arguing over fishing rights and a 370 km or 200-mile fishing limit was set and cod prices went up the low-priced fish restaurants had problems and all the companies involved retrenched. Orange Co. who had owned Treacher’s since the 1970s was sold to Mrs. Paul’s Seafood in 1979 and they replaced Icelandic cod with pollock. I used to love their fries and their shrimp. Who else knows about them and has eaten in one of their restaurants?
I've never heard of this chain. It didn't reach Australia.
Yes, I remember Arthur Treacher's and ate there. Fish and chips have never really taken off in the US.
I have been many times in the United States but I cannot remember I ever saw Arthur Treacher’s stores. Anyway I would have not eaten "Fish and Chips" in the United States, this is something I eat in the UK.
• Riga, Latvia
Well the UK is what people think of when they hear fish and chips but this restaurant did it very well @LadyDuck
@RasmaSandra As I live in Europe, when I visit America I eat local food. All the European restaurants I tried in the United States did not prepare the food like we do in Europe. I have tried fish&chips at a chain restaurant (I cannot remember the name) and it was not at all even similar to the real thing you eat on the south of England, in the villages bordering the sea. It's the same with the Italian restaurants. I am Italian and what the Italian restaurants make in the United States it's not Italian at all.
• Riga, Latvia
@LadyDuck sounds like the Chinese food here. I miss the food because I really enjoyed the American Chinese food I used to eat but here it is completely different and expensive so I don't eat any.
I used to eat at Arthur Treachers when we would go to the mall. I loved their fried shrimp too. Wow you brought back some good memories
• Riga, Latvia
Glad this brought you some good memories @Marilynda1225
This one I haven't heard of. Probably haven't made it to Colorado yet.