Let the Confusion Begin!

@Morleyhunt (16720)
Today was the day...dad has been moved to long term care. He has the home he chose. The room is nice....not huge...but big enough. The staff is friendly and at least one resident is going out of her way to welcome him. But it's going to get confusing...i The names have been changed to protect the innocent. So bear with me. A friend who works at this particular home, told me two months ago that they had a new resident. His name was James Hillier Coincidently my fathers name is James Hillyer. The names have one letter different....in the middle of the last name... They arrived within weeks of each other. Staff was already looking for ways to mark their personal items so there would be less confusion. The woman handling the admission admitted that she was confused when she saw the application. My almost two week break has begun. I'll let my siblings worry about it for now!
All that matters is the fact that your Dad will be ok and happy. I hope so anyway.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
He's happy for the moment....well take all the happy moments we can get....none of us expect it to last very long.
@jstory07 that’s positive thinking! Maybe they will wind up great friends :)
@Morleyhunt (16720)
@shaggin we see....it could be interesting to watch.
@Shellyann36 (8598)
What a coincidence. I am sure it will be worked out. I worked at a nursing home years ago and I am afraid that the entire laundry situation is a bit of a learn as you go for most families. I always heard numerous complaints from family members about residents not getting their clothes back. Several of the families would take their loved ones laundry home and do it themselves. I think in our particular situation, confusion came with the laundry staff. Most of the staff were Hispanic and many did not read or even speak English that well. It will all sort itself out.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
We all (family) find this quite amusing. I wonder how the other gentlemans family will react when they encounter the confusion.
@Morleyhunt I hope they find it amusing as well.
Those names are so very similar. I hope the confusion is remedied soon.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
What are the odds. The names are not common.... Now if it had been Smith and Smyth, that wouldn't be so unusual.
That's a bit unfortunate. I wonder what they'll come up with. Hopefully one will have a nickname that can be used.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
Somehow expecting a 90 year old to accept a nick name might be unrealistic.
@Morleyhunt I was thinking more that one of them might already have a nickname of sorts. Or could one be Jim/James and the other Mr XYZ?
@Morleyhunt (16720)
@JudyEv it's the laundry label...my son had that at school. A good friend of his had the same first name and initials or their last name. My son actually uses his middle name as his first name...we liked the flow better. Then we discovered that the other boys middle name was the same as our son's first name. Coincidence?
I hope they don't share birth-dates, that could really confuse things...
@Morleyhunt (16720)
That would be extreme.
@Morleyhunt There's a guy in town I grew up with that shares my birth date and first name. I always thought it was neat/weird.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
@JolietJake the woman in the room next to my dad has a birthday one day removed from my dad.
Goodness, I already feel concerned about this. Cross your fingers and let your siblings worry.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
I am away for 11 days. It isn't my problem.
@Morleyhunt Very good timing to take a vacation.
Shoulf be interesting how it all plays out. Enjoy your break.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
That's my feeling. It will give us some laughs I'm sure.
@Morleyhunt i am sure that it will.
Wow that is a huge coincidence. They will have to be very careful when keeping records and dispensing medication.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
It was confusing enough when my mother inlaw and I shared a name....
@Morleyhunt I understand that! My aunt had the same name as I and she would get my mail even though we lived a town away.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
Oh it`s really confusing but I hope it`ll be settled soon
@Morleyhunt (16720)
I don't think either of these elderly men will be changing their name. I see lots of confusion.
@Morleyhunt Here too! Many similar names and will surely get people confused
@UncleJoe (8571)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
We have had similar incidences here in Virginia but it was easy to solve. They painted one guy red and the other blue and then color-coded their files. Piece o' cake.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
That could work.
At least your dad is all moved into his long term care and that's one less worry. I'm sure there will be some confusion but the staff will work it out where the names are concerned.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
It's not like it's a common last name... Dor the moment he is happy. We can't hope for more than that. Let the vacation begin.
Wishing your Dad all the best in that new place.
@Morleyhunt (16720)
Thank you. I hope it all works out"
As long as you know what he looks like your ok. What if you guys turn out to be family?
@Morleyhunt (16720)
I'm sure if you go back far enough we are related. The name has several corrupted versions.... It can be an "i" a "y" an "ij" or a letter that isn't used in the English language....an un dotted "ij".
@KrauseHome (33381)
This is interesting and a coincidence. Same names. I feel for the staff.
That is truly amazing, what a coincidence!
@nangayo (2293)
• Nairobi, Kenya
It could have been better if he had three names. in our country most of us have 3 names the first is the christian name then the home name then the sir which is the father's name so its hard getting people with three same names. I think they will work it out though.
@zarlamain (23947)
That seems very confusing. Enjoy your break!