The upcoming grocery list/menu

@sallypup (21795)
Moses Lake, Washington
Another week of easy driving to the grocery store. For that, Higher Power, I am grateful. Tonight we will settle into wrangling over: what do you want to eat? What do I want to eat? What is boring? Included will be the Thanksgiving ingredients. We've got the big squash that we will stuff with cornbread. We have the corn ready to be ground. The cherries for the pie are in the freezer. I'll buy egg rolls cause they're a treat. And then this year we will again make fruit cake. We skipped the tradition last year but this year we plan on it again. There may be enough butter in the freezer for that. I will buy goodies like dried apricots and dried cherries for the fruitcake. The hens are molting so I may have to cave and buy store eggs. Maybe some filberts, too, to make the fruitcake super special. Raisins. Must not forget raisins or the dried pineapple I do NOT buy that waxed fruit fake stuff for fruitcakes. No and no. Fruit for the fruitcake. And butter and decent flour but not wax.
I think you're the only one I know who likes fruitcake and even makes it.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@just4him This is not the store fruitcake. This is old fashioned tasty good stuff- tons of good stuff in it- from butter to filberts to grape jam!!! Not much to not like. Its a process to make, too. I always ask before I give a cake away cause it costs a lot to make and takes up a lot of time and worry to get it right.
@sallypup I'm sure it does take a lot of time to make.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@just4him Yes. Three or four large mixing bowls, too! We let the fruitcakes sit and ripen for 3 weeks before we give them or mail them- hubby's Uncle in Nevada loves to get one.
We will have the usual turkey and dressing. One year I'd like to have mashed potatoes. Haven't had that in years.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle Mashed potatoes are so tasty. Its something we have every couple of months.
@sallypup .....I really miss them. My daughter fixes the fake ones sometimes. Yuck!
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle We lived on dried potatoes when we were in northern Idaho but that was a cabin situation and so we ate what was easy to store and would sustain us.
• Portland, Connecticut
You are so good, me I will order my fruitcake from Collins Street Bakery in Texas, it is soooo good. lol
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Does the Texas bakery put butter in their cakes? Curious me, @BelleStarr.
• Portland, Connecticut
@sallypup lol Will you think I am terrible if I admit I have never read the ingredients? I looked on their website but it doesn't list the ingredients, but I do know that it is mostly fruit and nuts very little cake.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr I was just curious cause a couple of years ago my Mom bought us a fruitcake that monks had made. I don't know what was in that cake but it had a huge and I mean huge after taste that kind of burned the mouth. Like it was rancid and year old grease was in there. We don't like to waste but we threw it away.
@kobesbuddy (19515)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I hate that waxy looking fruit! It doesn't taste like fruit, instead it stick in my teeth!:(
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@kobesbuddy I promise you that there is none of that in my house.
@kobesbuddy (19515)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sallypup It doesn't even taste like fruit, it's so sticky and gummy!
Hope you get it all
I love fruitcake. It has been a long time since I had homemade fruitcake.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Happy2BeMe We loved Thrifty Foods- I think that's the name of the grocery store- when we visited British Columbia, Canada. I'm guessing they'd have pretty decent fruit cake there.
@sallypup We don't have one of those stores here. I sometimes can get them at the local bakery but they really sell out pretty quickly.
@kepweng (6337)
firts time i heard Wax? fruitcake
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@kepweng There's this food stuff that is sold here in the U S that is fruit but its highly processed and waxy textured. Many folks put it in their fruitcake. I think its too unnatural and I hate its taste and texture so I use real dried fruit instead when I make my cake.
I remember years ago my Mum making fruitcake for Christmas and complaining about the high cost of all the ingredients.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JudyEv Your dear Mum was right. Buying fruitcake material takes quite a bit of money. There is a store in town that has bulk food. I'm hoping I can just buy what I need there for the fruitcake. Maybe less packaging will cut the cost.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I need to get the stuff for pumpkin cheesecake and my homemade cornbread and Mac and cheese this weekend. We have a turkey and rolls.alresdu.
@sallypup (21795)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@thislittlepennyearns Mac and cheese for Thanksgiving? Interesting. I used to love to make cloverleaf rolls for Thanksgiving.
@FayeHazel (11583)
It is so important to be thankful for things. Good luck with the fruitcake
I make two kinds and nothing that taste like th crap in stores already made. Mine are yummy!
I hope you end up having a very good Thanksgiving with everything that you want.