It could have gone badly..

Recent stories in the news have drudged up some memories of something that almost happened to me when I was a child. I grew up in a rather large city. We had an apartment above a corner store. We didn't have a yard or a park where I could play. My playground was the sidewalk in front of the corner store and the parking lot behind us.. unless I wanted to walk to a friend's house which I did frequently. I lived with my bio mom here from the time I was 5 until I was about 10.. I permanently moved in with foster mom when I was 12.. but that's another story. On the day in question I was probably about 7 years old, though I can't remember forsure. I was playing in front of our building and a man approached me. I never saw him before, or after this day. I remember thinking that he looked a lot like Rick Moranis (look him up if you don't know who he is). So he started a conversation with me. He told me I was really pretty and said he wanted to hold my hand. He walked me around the corner of the building where there was less traffic, then he told me he wanted to kiss me. At the time I thought very little of this. Kissing an adult was no big deal, I kissed lots of adults who were family or very close family friends. But of course what he did wasn't what I was expecting. As he kissed me with his tongue he lifted up my dress and started to put his hands in my underpants. I was able to run away before anything could happen, thank goodness, and I remember him yelling after me not to tell anyone. I didn't tell my bio-mom right away. I don't think I knew how, or knew that I even should.. at that age I didn't fully comprehend what had happened or what could have happened. When I eventually did tell her (and I don't know if it was hours, days, weeks, or years later that I did tell her) she either didn't believe me or didn't think it was worth making a big deal out of.. so nothing ever came of it. But as I think of that day, knowing what I know now about the world and the sickos that live in it, I realize that I was extremely lucky to have not been harmed that day. But then another thought strikes me...knowing what I know now about the world that we live in.. it's likely that man went on to harm other children after that day. If I had said something to my mother sooner, and if she had called the police, perhaps it's possible I could have helped save a couple children from that pig.
@Ithink (6887)
You were really lucky, there are so many sickos in the world and I know a lot of people think I am over protective as I don't let Tessa go far from me. Even in out own yard, I check on her all the time, or just go outside and read while she plays. I had my own experience growing up and I don't let my guard down anymore.
I never let my kids play outside by themselves when they were little. They're older now so they do go outside alone now but I still check on them frequently.
@Ithink (6887)
@katsmeow1213 Tessa is 10 but I still worry like she is a toddler. There are so many sickos out there.
@Ithink I still worry about them, but not so much while they're just playing outside.. as they get older there are other things to worry about.
What a terrible memory. Things could have went really bad that. I am glad you got away from him. What a terrible man who knows how many children he did that and worse to. You probably werent the first or the last.
No I'm sure.. if he was that brazen with me, I'm sure it took practice.
@katsmeow1213 i went through a similar thing but it was the neighbors our best friends' dad.
How awful to go through that! You were quite lucky to have escaped and had the good sense to run away. I had several encounters growing up, and one being a man who worked for my father and lived in a room in our basement. Fortunately, I told my parents and he was fired immediately. But you are right, it makes me wonder now if he went on to do what he tried to do with me to other little girls. He exposed himself and wanted me to touch it.
Horrible! I've had a number of encounters, mostly in my childhood. It seems men like to pray on the defenseless. Since being an adult I have not really encountered much that I can remember.
That really is a scary thought and I am glad that you were not harmed but like you said, I wonder if that man did go on to harm other children.
Most likely he did... perhaps he eventually got caught and went to jail.
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You were such an innocent child. I'm sorry that happened to you but of course delighted there is a happy ending to this awful story.
Yes me too.
Oh, you really were lucky to have not been harmed even more. I think back in the day, people were less likely to report those who harmed children in that manner, perhaps.
I'm not really that old, lol. My mother was just one of those types of people.. it wasn't the first time she ignored the fact that I was being abused, and wasn't the last either.
I am so very glad you were not actually hurt by him but what he did was very young and I imagine you were very scared. I hope if this man ever did this again that he was arrested! People like this are sick in the head and do not belong roaming the streets.
I too hope he was arrested!
I'm sorry for what you went through but as others said it was not your fault. You were little and you weren't sure if you should or what to do.
No I don't blame myself.. I do put some blame on my mother, but naturally I'm angry that she didn't believe me.
While you are probably right that he went on to do that to other young girls, you know that isn't your fault, right? Obviously, the assault wasn't your fault, but neither is not telling. You were a true victim, and I am very glad you got away.
No it isn't my fault, I know that. My mother can take a bit of blame though. She could have called the police. They could have done a sketch and been on the look out. Maybe they never would have caught him, but they could have at least known.
He probably did harm other children but that would not be your fault you were just a child.