journey with me

I can see bright lights twinkling in the distance. They sparkle alluringly. The sun is yet to rise, but it is peeking out beyond the horizon, sending a soft orange glow upwards. Tall trees and church spires are caught in its early morning embrace, harsh black silhouettes, the charcoal drawings of some unknown artist. Surprisingly, Mr Frost has come to visit and he sits atop cars and spreadeagles himself across immaculate lawns and pot-holed roads, greedily munching his way across the lands. Soon he will have to go; the rising sun has sent a warming pink blanket of sky to nibble his toes. Once upon a time, long before electricity, cars, telegraph poles, housing estates and roads, the world must have been astounding in its natural beauty. Perhaps one day, when we have spoilt it, crushed it, burnt it and wasted it, it will regenerate to that former beauty, only to go through the same cycle again. Until that happens I shall simply enjoy the natural beauty of an early morning in a contemporary natural world ... distant twinkling lights are so pretty as they sparkle on frosty cars.
@xFiacre (10467)
@poppylicious Oh Lady Poppylicius, thou dost transport my heart on the wings of fine po├ęsie. I'm reminded of travelling in an empty train across the fens many years ago on a blue January morning that was so smart with frost. And thank you @pgntwo for drawing my attention to this.
You'd be lucky to find a train now, let alone an empty one! The view is still there ... too wet to build on!
@pgntwo (21709)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
A picture of utopia, and giggles as toes are nibbled. Wonderful, that has made my Friday, thank you.
@topffer (30548)
• France
Very well written. Thank you for the suggestion.
Thanks for suggesting this lovely post, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
@poehere (17823)
• French Polynesia
@jaboUK Thanks for the suggestions this was worth reading.
@owlwings (38156)
• Cambridge, England
There is always, for me, something magical and new about a frosty morning such as you describe - "the beauty of the morning, silent, bare!" When he wrote his sonnet upon Westminster Bridge, I think that it was summer time for Wordsworth, but that little poem has the same magical feel about it. It has always indrigued me that, only 200 years ago, it was possible to stand in the centre of London and describe something as "open unto the fields"
It's mad, isn't it? My bus is currently driving through the small new city of Adden on the Brooke. The meadows around it are disappearing fast, but it does have lots of very pretty sparkling lights.
@owlwings (38156)
• Cambridge, England
@Poppylicious Adden on the Brooke should be ratified as the official name!
@owlwings It gives the impression of an idyllic country village rather than a modern medical city!
@CoralLevang (40680)
One of the most descriptive things I have ever had the enjoyment of reading. Thank you
My pleasure. If I could write like this most of the time I'd be ridiculously happy, but alas ...
@CoralLevang (40680)
@Poppylicious if I could even an iota write like this... I like the way that you personified mr. Frost. I did that a couple of weeks ago in a piece of poetry that I wrote called Nature's burlesque show.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
I feel like I am there with you. I have similar early morning experiences while out with Hugo the dog but can't quite portray them as eloquently as you just have!
I seem to write best when sitting on a bus early in the morning, pre- having to talk to anyone, before I'm even truly awake! I used to think I was a night owl, but I must actually be a morning person.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@Poppylicious My day usually goes downhill too when I have to start dealing with people.
@WorDazza Life would be so much more enjoyable if some of those people didn't exist.
Unfortunately a great scientist has predicted that our earth has no more than 600 years, then the sun will burn it. So we will never see again the earth in its natural astounding beauty and the earth will not even be destroyed by the careless of men, but by the sun.
@Fleura (6159)
At least in that case I guess we don't need to feel guilty about it any more, or worry that we should be doing something to solve the problem - we are powerless!
@Fleura We knew from many years that this is what is going to happen, scientists thought it was not so close. Now it seems that they know it will be no later than 600 years.
So I can enjoy the sparkling lights on cars free of guilt? Whoop!
What a wonderful word-picture you have painted. I'm so glad this was suggested to me.
Thank you. *blushes like a kangaroo in heat*
@dodoazo (11112)
In the first week of December we will be experiencing sparkling, twinkling city streets especially the higway at the entrance of our small city. At the 15th of December we will have the official opening of our Christmas lights festival. All trees in the public plaza would be illuminated with various Christmas lights.
Oooh, pretty! I have to admit that I love dark winter night's in December when the whole world sparkles! The town I live in is quite famous locally for having an amazing Christmas lights display. Other towns and cities just seem minimalist and cheap in comparison.
Also, nincompoop has been one of my favourite words since I was little. :)
• Denmark
Compliments!
Thank You!
@Fleura (6159)
It's a lovely morning here too. Although I appreciate double glazing I think it's a shame that it has eliminated Jack Frost's night-time paintings.
Oh, definitely. Such pettiness lost!
This post has a lyrical quality about it, your words are chosen so well. Very well done, I really enjoyed it.
Thank you. It wasn't intentional. I think the early mornings must just get my creative juices well and truly flowing. :)
That was a beautiful rendition and really wonderful to read.
Thanking you, kindly. :)
You are very welcome @Poppylicious I hope you write more.
• Riga, Latvia
This was lovely, so descriptive and with great imagery. I too like distant twinkling lights.
They are pretty aren't They? :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I often try to ignore what humans have created when I look at nature. Even from the tops of mountains here in the Bay Area, I see oil refineries, McMansions, and other human creations. I try to look the other way. In Montana, it's easier to "imagine."
I often enjoy the mix. The wind turbines against the backdrop of the sunset or sunrise can be beautiful in these Flatlands.
@MsTickle (25014)
Everything about your post is outstanding and delightful. Thank you.
Thank you. :)
@Mike197602 (13511)
• Worcester, England
You always sound like such a nice person I used to like the winter when I didn't have to get up at 05.30 in the freezing cold to go to work and when I didn't have to pay the heating bills Now I hate the winter, and hate the summer too...I like the inbetween PS...I don't like what I'd call "flowery" writing but I liked this very muchvery nice
I can be a very nice person sometimes. I can also be far too flowery with my writing! And thank you. :)
• Preston, England
the frost can look lovely though knowing it will be cold when I go out in it spoils it for me
@pgntwo (21709)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That's what woolly socks and long-johns were made for
• Preston, England
@pgntwo sometimes it's cold no matter how many layers I put on
@pgntwo (21709)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@arthurchappell Yeah, it gets like that betimes. A brisk trot can help, suitably attired, of course
@LoriAMoore (9966)
We got our first frost yesterday.
It's rather warm here today. The weather is being a bit fickle this November.
• Rochester, New York
This gave me beautiful visualization to combat a crappy day. Jack can come visit here, I think I'm about ready for him.