Stress as the days are quickly counting down

@CoralLevang (40824)
I have a friend of mine that I've known online since 1998 coming in from Las Vegas on the 29th. She will be with me until the 6th, when she flies home to Australia. I am a bit stressed out, because everything is not done like I wanted it to be. Unfortunately, I am only one person and can only do so much. Most of the boxes that were in the house have been unpacked and dealt with. Those in the garage, however, are a different story. I've made a lot of headway. I'm not embarrassed to have someone in my home. However, I will do a lot more actual deep cleaning in a few days. Thank goodness that has always been manageable for me. Because I've never met her in person, though we've spoken and gotten to know each other a bit over the last 19 years, I don't I think that there will be much of an issue with her. However, you never know about some people and what offends their sensibility. Some people have judgemental hearts and paint labels with sweeping brush strokes, never taking into consideration anything other than what they believe to be true. My sense is that Judi is not like that, but I've been fooled before. Today, I'm going to head to a couple of thrift stores to see if there is something that I can use as a more suitable Media Center than what I have. I'd really like to get some things taken care of with that to be a little more organized in that space where there's music and television. This weekend my plans are to do a deep scrub of both the upstairs bathroom and the downstairs half bath. My kitchen is relatively fine, but I do want to clean my oven and a thorough scrub of the stove. Because I do not have a guest bedroom, I will either give up my bedroom to her, or she can sleep on my couch downstairs, which is quite comfortable. I also have an inflatable double size mattress that can be used. All I know is that I need to stop stressing about the things in the garage now, and concentrate on making sure that things are comfortable enough for someone to stay with me for a week. I'm probably going to need some help in staying stress-free by reminders from time to time.
Relax Coral. There is only so much you can do so just do what you can. The stress can actually impede getting progress done.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I know, John. Thank you for the reminder.
I think you are right about just focusing on the inside of your home and forgetting about the garage for a while. Just do everything in slow motion and try not to rush. All the rushing just makes for more stress.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Thank you. I have been gone all day today. So, this weekend is going to be busy. Thankfully, I will not be hosting a big T-Day dinner. I'm going to keep it simple and do nothing that day. I'm getting together with friends on that Saturday.
That is so exciting. Dont stess about the garage. She wont be in there. I am sure she will have a great time just spending time with you.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I'm stressed about much of it, the least of all the garage. And my friend BK will not be able to come and help keep me sane through it. But, I wish that I had lived more like a regular person. That I have no guest room for her, not because of the lack of room, but the lack of my making it so...bothers me. This is when I start measuring myself up to others' standards. This past couple of weeks and some of the situations with people didn't help. It's when I feel most vulnerable.
I understand totally as I feel whenever I have company my house needs to be spotless. I bet this online friend of your will be so happy to meet you and stay with you that she will not care in the least how your house looks. How did you wind up meeting her online and getting to know each other so well?
@CoralLevang (40824)
Back in the day, we were in the same chat rooms. I've met many people and develop real-time friendships with them both locally as well as internationally.
@CoralLevang I'm always worried I won't meet others expectations when I meet them in person or that they will be not who they say they are and will be closet serial killers lol
@CoralLevang (40824)
@shaggin I worry more about the first thing, but never have I been concerned about the second
@Platespinner (18531)
Take a deep breath and relax. If she's a judger that's her problem, not yours. I suspect, though, that your assessment of her is probably correct and you have nothing to worry about.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I appreciate you saying this. I think what is grabbing me lately is my being caught so off-guard here recently. Though I recognize that what you say as truth, I cannot help fearing the emotional ambush that has caught me throughout life from time-to-time coming from people whom I trusted and held in high regard. Now THAT is something that is MY problem, and no one else's. I do get it. LOL Thank you for the encouragement.
I hope you can focus on the house, and relax a bit over all of it.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I am going to try. I just wish that I had someone that I could count on to come and spend a whole weekend to help me just get ready, hang curtains and pictures. These are the things I just don't like to spend time on....Honestly, I'm not real good at it.
@CoralLevang I'm sorry.
@CoralLevang (40824)
@Courtlynn no need to be sorry! You haven't done anything!
Good luck in getting everything in order.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Or at least hidden! Haha
• Preston, England
I'm sure your hospitality will be be first class - hope your friend's visit goes really well
@CoralLevang (40824)
First class by some standards....never. I am just a regular person. I grew up always feeling that there was a performance that was necessary. It's where I struggle most.
• Marion, Kansas
@CoralLevang I hear this.
• Eugene, Oregon
We moved in here three years ago next month and can't yet get a car into the two car garage. We downsized, but not enough. I am sure your visitor will be glad to see and spend time with you.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Thank you for this.
@Daelii (2085)
That is so neat to know someone from online that long and to finally be able to meet! I hope you two have a blast!
@CoralLevang (40824)
I have always enjoyed meeting people that I have gotten to know through alternative methods that bring the world closer to me.
I hope she's the kind of person whose only intent is to visit without judging.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I hope so, too.
Just remember that she isn't coming to judge the condition of your home, she is coming to visit you. But, yes you will fret over getting the little things done. I would too. Just don't let it overwhelm you.
@CoralLevang I feel that way every weekend I have off. Do I go do fun things, or do I stay home and work my fingers to the bone? I compromise and do the essentials.
@CoralLevang (40824)
@ElusiveButterfly I'm I'm not even sure of the difference between the essentials and everything. It's been so long since I've kept up with Essentials
@CoralLevang I hear ya there. I bought 2 dishpans and have gotten the dish dilemma to a minimum. Then I had to bake cupcakes and make a dish to bring to the baby shower. Dishes back up again. Yay! Hoping to get them done and the place tidied up before Thursday.
@responsiveme (14414)
Don't stress...I am sure she will enjoy your stay together. I agree there has to be done sort of cleanliness but I can never be a super perfect hostess. In fact my friends dort of take over.
@CoralLevang (40824)
I cannot ever be, either, nor do I try to be. I think that was when I stopped having people over. For too many years I denied myself the experience. Unfortunately, it costs us when we do (the denial). I think that I have been my own worst enemy where that is concerned.
@CoralLevang you will have a good time..Things dont have to be always perfect...The comfort factor with friends see to that
@CoralLevang (40824)
@responsiveme let's hope so!
@bluesa (12847)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
It is so nice that you will finally be meeting each other. It can be nerve wrecking inviting someone into your home. But I know I would appreciate the effort you have made to welcome her into your home. I hope you will get what you want done, done.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Thank you. Nerve-wrecking, indeed!! So when you visit Seattle...No extra bedroom, but couch is comfy! ;-)
@bluesa (12847)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@CoralLevang thank you! I will certainly keep that in mind ;-)
@CoralLevang (40824)
@Srbageldog (5486)
Good luck with your cleaning. I'm sure your friend won't judge how your home looks, and if she does then she's not a very good friend. Though if you've been friends for nearly 20 years, I'm sure you're a pretty good judge of her character by now.
@CoralLevang (40824)
This is going to be the first time we've met face-to-face. We've talked on the phone probably twice in 20 years. And we chatted quite often back in the day, but we are more of a friendly acquaintance than friends.
@CoralLevang Ahh, I see. I have online "friends" like that.
@CoralLevang (40824)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Put her to work when she arrives, I say!
@CoralLevang (40824)
I like the way you think!
• Marion, Kansas
Remember, she is not staying in the garage. It sounds like your home has several amenities that will make her feel welcome and cared for. She is coming to see you, not your home.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Well...I do have a bathroom so she won't have to find a tree in the neighborhood. ;-) And I have a Keurig for either coffee or hot water/tea. LOL Good to go! LOL
@kobesbuddy (19723)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Everything will work out, just fine. I'll bet Judi will be so happy, to spend time at your home! After 19 years, she's just as excited about this visit as you are
@CoralLevang (40824)
Thanks, Kharla. It's been so long since we really have chatted, and all of a sudden, she is showing up. That's what is hardest for me.
@kobesbuddy (19723)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CoralLevang It's unexpected, which isn't that easy to deal with. You will do just fine, it will only take a minute or two together, to get things flowing in the right direction:)
@CoralLevang (40824)
@kobesbuddy I hope so.! I know it will be okay.
@ChoukseyMK (1008)
You are real host. My wife too takes lot of stress two weeks before guests arrive at home. I appreciate your affection towards relationships.
@CoralLevang (40824)
Thank you so very much. The last line of your comment touched my heart. It is one of the kindest things that you could have ever said to me. Thank you
Just imagine that the garage does not belong to you and don´t show it to her. Tell her that you have let that space to someone else. People don´t come to see furniture, they come to see people.