The Devil Dogs in Russian Prisons

Last night, I stumbled upon a documentary titled "INSIDE: RUSSIA'S TOUGHEST PRISONS." One would be wise to keep oneself out of one of Russia's toughest prisons! What really caught my attention while watching this documentary was the breed of dog used in those prisons to keep prisoners in line. The documentary gave me my first look at Caucasian Mountain Dogs, also known as Caucasian Ovcharka Devil Dogs. The Caucasian Mountain Dogs in the toughest of Russian prisons begin their training as puppies. Of course, part of the training of Caucasian Mountain Dogs used in Russian prisons includes how to attack a prisoner on command. The Caucasian Mountain Dog is not inherently dangerous, but a dog that can weigh up to 200 pounds is a dog that often does not know its own strength, therefore, expert training of a Caucasian Mountain Dog is a must. As a pet, a Caucasian Mountain Dog would be way too much dog to handle for most. If expertly trained from puppy hood, a Caucasian Mountain Dog makes one heck of a guard dog.
two high drive caucasian ovcharka's, please contact me for future planned litters. These dogs will not back down under any threat or pressure. The worlds sup...
• Denmark
This dog can pass as a lion!
It would be hard to lift a Caucasian Mountain Dog puppy!
@FayeHazel (11863)
@Corbin5 Wow. Is that a puppy? It's bigger than the man
@FayeHazel I know, but it is so darn cute!! Would love to cuddle with that puppy.
Beautiful dogs but like some of the other breeds I've read about these types of dogs need a firm hand from the beginning. I found this on the exact specs of these beauties and they state that these pups are not for people who aren't familiar with dogs.
All About Caucasian Mountain Dog puppies - Breed Information - HD Pictures, Colors. | All the info you need when you are Looking for Puppies For Sale
Yes, only a dedicated owner who is well-versed in training can handle a dog like this. The puppies are adorable, but huge.
Not all trainers have what it takes to train the larger working dogs @Corbin5 so many of them are very strong willed so that they need someone with a heavy hand or they will be dominated by them.
@rebelann They are usually used as guardians and deterrents. They are alert, dominant, and powerful dogs. Definitely not good around children since they are herding dogs and herd children. They have a purpose, but not as a family pet. Way too much fur for warmer climates too.
That is a huge dog.
Yes it is a hugh dog.
It is a beautiful dog, but really too much to handle for most.
@jstory07 It is a dog that is a bit too huge to handle.
whoa! this is a huge one.No one want to mess with him. Thank you for this post.
I had never heard of this dog before, and I must say, it is one large dog. The puppies are adorable, but huge.
@Corbin5 yes they are adorable
Gosh, they are huge aren't they? I'd be a model prisoner if I was in one of those jails.
@Corbin5 They're certainly huge.
• Riga, Latvia
Certainly looks like one tough dog. Thanks for sharing this was interesting.
It is a beauty, but not the best dog to have in a family that has small children.
Yeah that dont look like a pet
It would be one huge pet that would need a lot of yard and live in a cold climate. Too much fur!!
@Corbin5 oh yes
@Courtlynn Imagine trying to pick up that puppy.
@YrNemo (8744)
It looks giant, that dog! (Beautiful too!)
It is a gorgeous-looking dog to me too. That dog would need to live in very cold climates.
@YrNemo (8744)
@Corbin5 hmm, a pity. (I have seen plenty of very fluffy huskies around my place lately. Don't know how those dogs deal with more than 100 degrees F though.)
@YrNemo True, we have a Chow Chow/Shepherd mix and she is furry, but not big. However, she has a doggy door that allows her to go in and out of an air conditioned house to the fenced backyard 24/7. She can stay nice and cool all summer long. I cannot imagine any furry dog being forced to endure high heat.
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
That is a beautiful dog and just looking at it you wouldn't consider it all that mean. But like they say you have to train this dog from a puppy because it can be a dangerous animal. Shame.
Yes, they are only mean due to training them to be attack dogs. The puppies are gigantic.
@poehere (17879)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 I'd love to walk around with a dog that almost looks like a lion. I think if another person owned one of these dogs and trained it to be loving and kind it would make an excellent pet for your home. I'm sure nobody would dare come into your yard.
@poehere That is true. We rescued Bo, a German Shepherd/Border Collie mix, and he was 110 pounds, but would not hurt a soul. I always felt safe as could be with Bo around. Just his size was enough for people to beware. Strangers did not know how sweet he was.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I would love to have one of those dogs for a friend Deborah..gorgeous.
Wish I could get you a Caucasian Mountain Dog puppy. However, lifting one would be near to impossible, but hugging one would be lovely.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Corbin5 haha Oh gosh I could see little bitty you trying to lift one of these lol..He looks so huge and the fellow holding him looks so strong
@TiarasOceanView The puppies are so darn cute.
@ridingbet (38086)
i watch some cute posts on FB about dogs, but this dog in the picture of your discussion is giving me a scare. does it bite when prisoners try to escape?
I think it merely scares the prisoners. They are good dogs when trained to mind their manners. The puppies are huge.
@ridingbet (38086)
@Corbin5 oh, i think i cannot have a dog that big as my pet. hahaha!
@ridingbet We could not care for a big dog like that either. Not enough room. Would be like living with a bear.
@UncleJoe (8617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have read that these particular dogs love people. One dog can eat 2-3 a day.
Yes, 2 to 3 people a day would fill that dog's tummy. I think you would be the right owner for a dog like this. You would have to hunt a lot of people to feed it, but a dog owners gotta do what a dog owners gotta do.
@UncleJoe (8617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Corbin5 Well, I do have a list of folks that need a good chewing but I'll bet those big mutts can't read.
@EddieHands (33089)
Oh wow those dogs are huge and very scary! Blessings
A well-trained one can be a great dog, but one trained to attack is going to be one to stay away from.
@EddieHands (33089)
@Corbin5 I want to pet one of the nice ones... Blessings
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
I want one @Corbin5 . I hope they're good to the dogs when they train them. Now my Akita that was only 150 pounds was voice and hand command trained (by me). Now depending; he would have either licked your face off or ripped your head off. It would depend on which command I gave him.
The Caucasian Mountain Dogs are the same way. They are calm dogs, but they can be a bit of a danger because they do not know their own strength. They like to herd children too, so that is a problem for families with kids. Who could resist that puppy???
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 They'd sure come in handy at Day Care Centers (herding). lol
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
He is huge !
Yes, those dogs are a lot of dog to handle!!! They can be trained to be very nice dogs.
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
@Corbin5 I believe it !
It's a beautiful dog, but ferocious.
Actually, they are calm dogs, but training them to attack would make them ferocious.
@Corbin5 That's good to know their normal temperament is calm.
@sallypup (22080)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oh no thank you. That dog needs a better trainer than I am and a younger person than me. Handsome but please stay in another neighborhood.
It is one big dog. They are calm dogs and do require extensive training. The do love to herd, so little kids are usually the herded ones. Not a good dog for anyone living in a hot climate, with children, or lack of room to roam.
@sallypup (22080)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Room to roam? Maybe 500 acres at least. Herding dog that size? My little Sally is a herder and not the greatest to have around zippy kids. But a dog that size? Look out.
I won't mess around with a dog that big!
They really are calm dogs, but when trained to attack, they do that well.
@Corbin5 exactly. Those dogs can rip a man to shreds when properly trained.
@alberello75 (13223)
• Genova, Italy
It seems like a lion more than a dog! It would scare me if I were close to. Obviously, with these creatures, the prisoners, they could not escape!
I think I need to send you a puppy!!!!!
@alberello75 (13223)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Yes, it is just a ...puppy
@kepweng (6428)
dog is Huge but i think its the Fur only do you wish to have a pet like these??
Well, the dogs weigh-in at 200 pounds as adults, so fur and 200 pounds make for one huge dog. If I had a lot of land in a cold climate, I would love a dog like the one in the photo.