The Bargain I Had to Pass On

Our local Hannaford's had turkeys on sale. Normally I will buy 2 of them when they go on sale. One for Thanksgiving, and one for Christmas. At 38 cents a pound, that is a great buy. However, I passed on the turkeys yesterday. When I finally got to the store they only had turkeys that weighed 22 pounds and up! I normally buy a turkey that is 12-15 pounds total. There will only be 4 adults and one child here for Thanksgiving dinner. We will have a crowd to feed at Christmas, but I also serve ham at that meal. Twenty-two pounds of turkey is way too much for us. Yes, I could always freeze the leftover meat and send some home with my girls, but even still, that is way too much. So, after this post, I am getting ready to go out the door to go back to Hannaford this morning. They were getting another shipment last night. Hopefully they will have a couple of 12-15 pound turkeys in stock. Would you pass buy a bargain if it were way too much for your needs or go ahead and purchase it anyway?
I think 22 pounds would be too much for me 'n Scar even I might buy 'bulk' if I had a chest freezer, but I just have the top one on my fridge
We have a chest freezer and whenever I find a good buy, I'll buy a little more to put in the freezer. My nephew gave us quite a bit of venison and it is loaded up pretty good right now.
I would pass on the bargains if it was too much for us.
There is no sense in buying something that you really can't use.
I would pass on it. I just don't want to mess with the extra.
I should have bought the 22 pounder for Christmas. We are feeding a crowd.
I would have surely passed. The few times I bought a turkey for Christmas the weight was never more than 8 pounds. We have smaller turkeys here and only three of us in the family like turkey meat.
My family loves turkey. If I don't serve it at both Thanksgiving and Christmas they get upset. My husband would be perfectly happy with just ham. I told him that we have ham quite a bit and he can suffer with having turkey for Thanksgiving.
@ElusiveButterfly My husband is the only one who really like turkey, I eat turkey, but there are plenty of things that I prefer to it.
@LadyDuck My husband will eat mostly the skin and dark meat.
I would on it too. Hope you the right size turkey today.
Laurel, I was able to get 2 turkeys that were just the right size for me. I plan on going back to get one more for my daughter to take home with her.
@ElusiveButterfly that is a good idea. Glad you got two.
@Happy2BeMe I can't wait for Thursday! Love a good turkey dinner.
It's not a bargain if you have to throw half of it away. I hope you get the size you want.
I was fortunate to find 2 of the right size. If I had waited til the afternoon there would have only been the larger size turkeys. The smaller ones go fast.
@ElusiveButterfly Just wondering about price comparison - I bought a frozen turkey yesterday which is just under 10 pounds, and it cost me £14 (about $18). Would yours be a similar price?
@jaboUK I paid less than $6 (4.53 British pound) for a 12-15 pound turkey.
@YrNemo (14736)
I was supposed to get something yesterday while going shopping. I remember vaguely the price was very good, and normally I would grab the item. BUT since I was supposed to be an escort for my young relative (and God knows what she would expect me to help carrying), so I didn't get that item at all. Funny, my mind just gets blank right now. Guess that item is not too important after all.
I brought a list with me so I would remember what to get. I left the list in the car. Because it was raining, I didn't go back to retrieve it. Somehow I managed to get everything that was on my list.
@YrNemo (14736)
@ElusiveButterfly I often write the most important items on my left palm. (Most often, I forgot and washed it off long before the shopping trip !)
@YrNemo haven't resorted to that yet! I do send myself a message on my phone!
I would have passed. I need to get a turkey yet for Thanksgiving. I'm going to my sister's but I'm having my boys on Saturday.
Even if I were invited to dinner I would have made a turkey for us on another day. One year I didn't bother making a turkey and was disappointed that I didn't.
@ElusiveButterfly I got my turkey this morning. I was hoping for a smaller bird, but the smallest they had was 13 pounds. There might be four of us to eat dinner on either Friday or Saturday.
@just4him at least you will have plenty of leftovers to make other dishes with.
I'd pass. That is an awful lot of turkey to get rid of.
Even with all of us getting together at Christmas I wouldn't buy a huge bird. We also have ham and with that and a small turkey there is plenty to go around.
@ElusiveButterfly Sometimes there are so many leftovers after Christmas that you really do get sick of them.
@JudyEv that is why I send a lot of the food home with my children. They enjoy the leftovers more than I do.
@silvermist (20094)
Definitely,I will pass it.Not comfortable buying too much and saving it for days.
I could make soup, sandwiches, and other casseroles with it, but I like variety for our meals and would be bored with it eventually.
@silvermist (20094)
@ElusiveButterfly Yes,just imagine,Turkey soup,Turkey sandwich,Turkey Casseroles,Turkey salad...
@silvermist yeah, I could deal with it because it is a favorite of mine. My husband wouldn't care for it as much.
I've passed on some bargains of things that I want but not necessarily need.
Better to pass on them than to let them spoil.
I'd pass, always do. We only buy 10-15 pounders.
There were a few to choose from yesterday and I bought 2 of them.
@Srbageldog (8239)
I guess it would depend on how much it would wind up costing. A 12 lb turkey at 38 cents a pound would be a lot cheaper than a 22 lb turkey. I also have a small freezer, although I could always send leftovers to family, so having too much wouldn't be too big of an issue for me, although I would worry about it going bad before I got around to using it all.
I usually make soup the next day from the leftovers. I bring turkey sandwiches with me for lunch the next day and freeze some for sandwiches for later use. Turkey ala King is on the menu later in the week. We have leftovers the next day. Then I freeze the remainder of it so I can use it for other things. I will send more than half of it home with my daughters.
I would probably get it. We would eat a lot of turkey. The one I cooked today was only sixteen pounds, though.
I went back to the store yesterday morning and picked up 2 turkeys. Glad that I went when I did. There were only a few 12-15 pounders left to choose from. I will probably go back and pick one up for my daughter so she can have one for home.
@shivamani10 (11169)
• Hyderabad, India
Pass on the bargain is sometimes good. It gives others also a chance to purchase something they need.
That is a good way of thinking as well. I am sure that there were others looking for that large of a turkey.
That is a lot of turkey ..hope you can find a smaller one then Elusive
OT, there were a few smaller turkeys at the store yesterday morning. I managed to get there before 8:30. Glad that I went when I did. The freezer area was surrounded by happy shoppers looking for their Thanksgiving bird.
I don't buy more then I need. I like some leftovers too, but not too much, that's wasteful as it only lasts for so long even frozen. I actually found our Christmas turkey right after Thanksgiving when they had the smaller ones out that didn't sell. So its patiently waiting in the deep freezer to meet the roasting pan next month. I hope that you find the right sized bird today.
I did find 2 turkeys that were of appropriate size for us. Glad I went when I did though because the store was packed even at that early hour.
@xiaolisu (2401)
I don't buy food over my need sometime i have to buy much i think it's a waste
I would rather purchase only what I need. That is unless I will use it soon and it won't spoil.
Hope you will find the perfect turkey's.
Thanks TR! I did find 2 that were just right for me.
I would have got it anyway, I make soup, turkey pot pie and lots of other meals, can freeze them.
Our freezers are full with venison that my nephew gave us. I do have to go through it and toss out the outdated meat though. My husband brought it home and put it in the freezer before I could look at it. Took out a couple of packages and noticed that one was freezer burnt.
@ElusiveButterfly Oh that isn't good. My problem these days is I don't have a separate freezer and I really could use one. I may have to look into a chest freezer.
@BelleStarr I love the one we have. Glad to have it because I always but more.