Revisiting Hitchcock's "Rear Window"

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
Last night, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) ran "Rear Window," the 1954 film starring Jimmy Stewart as a wheelchair-bound photographer with a broken leg nicknamed Jeff, who spends his recuperation time during a heat wave observing the neighbors who live in the other apartments across the courtyard. One in particular gets his attention, and Jeff uses binoculars and a high-powered camera lens to spy on the neighbor, Lars, played by Raymond Burr. Meanwhile, Jeff's girlfriend, Lisa, played by Grace Kelly, and his insurance nurse Stella, played by Thelma Ritter, help him solve the case. As he grows more suspicious that Lars killed his wife, Jeff calls his old war pal Tom, a police detective, to fill him in. But Tom is skeptical at first until Lars actually comes to Jeff's apartment to confront him. Turns out that Lars did murder his wife, but I'll leave the details of this tense thriller out in case anyone hasn't seen it and might like to. As in all of Hitchcock's films, he makes a very brief cameo appearance in one scene when he turns to face the camera from one of the other apartments across the way. And all the action takes place within the confines of one man's tiny apartment based on what he observes from his window. While the main plot concerns Jeff's suspicions about Lars, the subplot involves his indecision to marry Lisa, who lives a very different life from his as a high-profile fashion consultant. It's easy to see in this film what made Grace Kelly so popular and famous before she decided to retire from acting to marry the Prince of Monaco. If you've never seen "Rear Window," and like low-key psychological thrillers without lots of special effects, I highly recommend it. It's Hitchcock at his best, and nothing even comes close today. (Public Domain Image)
My family and I love the movie "Rear Window", and we have watched it quite a few times. A classic for sure!
@dgobucks226 (10627)
I was watching that movie last night. James Stewart is so good, but that was not surprising to me, he is always good!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
If I were ever to spend money on DVD's, I'd buy this one.
@dgobucks226 (10627)
@Raelove Yes, a real classic. I would also buy Vertigo another Hitchcock thriller starring Jimmy Stewart.
I know the film. Shows how old I am. But I didn't watch it when it was released. I watched it in the 1960s.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I can't recall when I first saw it, but it's one of my favorites.
@Raelove I remember that the film is full of suspense but don't remember the ending. I'll have a look if it's somewhere on the net.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@MALUSE It's actually quite a comical ending. Hope you can find it, as it's really worth watching.
I have seen this classic considered among Hitchcock's best. One of Stewart's best.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I agree on both counts. And it's all done with dialogue, facial expression, and observation. A real class act on all sides.
@Raelove Raymond Burr's typecast as a heavy was solidified with this movie and he wouldn't shake the image until Perry Mason.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@JohnRoberts I was never a big fan of his. And I found him an odd choice for the "villain" in this one.
I really enjoy watching James Stewart in just about anything. I don't think I've seen this one.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Then it is worth it if you can. I can't say I've liked all his roles, but he himself always comes off as a very likable guy.
@Raelove He does, doesn't he? And I love the way he speaks.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv So do I...that gentle manner of his. I'd be willing to bet the man never flew off the handle in his life. Another of my favorite films of his is "Anatomy of a Murder," with Lee Remick as a beautiful seductress whose husband kills a man she accuses of raping her. Stewart's typical laid-back persona steals the show here again.
I have seen this film a few times Rachel..to me it is a really powerful bit of film and a real legend of a movie. A lost art to me.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, it is a lost art. No one is making movies like this anymore. This would be way too boring to today's shallow young people.
@Raelove Yes shallow indeed..still, arent we lucky that we can still find these treasures to watch?
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView Oh yes, we so are lucky. I can't imagine not having these classics to fall back on. There'd be nothing to watch now otherwise!
I have seen "Rear Window." I really do enjoy just about everything Hitchcock has done.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
His movies reflect his passion and the intensity of his directing energy. There are no other movies like his at all.
• Riga, Latvia
This is one of my favorite movies. I have it on video and never get tired of watching it time and time again.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I can understand why.
@dgobucks226 (10627)
I was watching that movie last night. James Stewart is so good, but that was not surprising to me, he is always good! An Hitchcock is a master at building up the suspense. A movie that always gets my interest!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Mine, too. I don't like everything TCM puts on, but once in awhile, they get it right. I'm not crazy, though, about the buildup leading to some of the films by guess commentators. Just run the film!