Well, That's a First!

I was on my way to visit my elderly dad when I spotted a kitchen garbage bag, filled to the brim with refuse, hanging from one of the topmost branches of a very tall tree. I have to say I have never seen a plastic kitchen bag that was full of trash hanging from a tree. Of course, the first question that came to my mind was, "How on earth did it get up there?" We have Automated Side Loader or ASL garbage trucks here. Apparently, during the dumping-in-the-truck process, the mechanical arm on the truck lifted the garbage container, and as the garbage from the upside-down container was making its way into the top front of the garbage truck, the high winds made that garbage bag take flight. A powerful gust of wind probably caught that garbage bag, and the bag flew through the air until it became hooked on a high branch on a very tall tree. The next thought that came to my mind was, "That sucker is way up there in that tree. How on earth will they get that thing down?" A ladder will not work since the branch to which the garbage bag is hooked hangs over the street. I doubt anyone around here is willing to climb that tree in order to retrieve that garbage bag. I think the village will have to come out with a fire truck to remove that bag of garbage if it does not fall on its own.
This photo is priceless Deborah!!! You should publish it with the local newpapers!!! Get some big cash for this photo
I should!!! It really is hilarious. Sure does make the neighborhood look a bit shabby.
@Corbin5 You really should Deborah..course that would meant some attention for you which I know you dont like lol
@TiarasOceanView So true!! Introvert me would not want any attention!!!!
During last spring winds, i had a plastic grocery bag hanging from my back tree. We could not get it down, and it eventually must have fallen with the fall winds as it is no longer in the tree i noticed a few weeks ago. I have seen garbage bags in the middle of the highway going to my doctors!
I have seen the grocery bags stuck to tree branches too, but this is the first time a full bag of garbage on a tree branch was seen by me.
@Corbin5 OH, that is bad then. The bag in my tree was empty but annoying
@moffittjc (36892)
• Gainesville, Florida
A couple of years ago, I came in to work one morning to find one of those 10x10 EZ-Up tents (the kind you use for tailgating) caught in the top of a 50-foot pine tree. There was a thunderstorm the night before, and I imagine a big gust of wind lifted that tent high up into the pine tree. We had to call the fire department out with one of their ladder trucks to get the tent down from the top of the tree. It was quite a sight seeing it stuck up there!
You really had a huge thing stuck in the pine tree. Not sure how this bag is going to come down, but now that I think of it, maybe the driver of the garbage truck could stand on the top of the truck and retrieve it on garbage day. Sure makes the neighborhood look shabby.
@moffittjc (36892)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 The driver of the garbage truck is probably a union employee, and the union probably frowns upon them getting out of their truck and doing anything other than driving it. And even if that driver could get out and do the right thing, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care one bit about how shabby the neighborhood looks. God forbid people actually care anymore.
@moffittjc I forgot about the union. I do hope it plops to the ground soon. People seem to care little about most things these days.
• Olney, Illinois
Gotta say that's a first for me as well
It does make the neighborhood look pretty shabby.
• Olney, Illinois
@Corbin5 They are taking recycling too far using those for Christmas decorations
@JolietJake I had the thought that it would look great if someone could fling a long string of Christmas lights so that they land on that bag. Just lovely!
Hopefully the bag won't disintegrate and drop its decaying rubbish everywhere. What a strange thing to happen.
It is so odd. It is in a tree several house from ours, and I know the owner will pick up any rubbish if it drops. I am sure the homeowner has made a call to the village.
@Corbin5 That is such an unlikely thing to happen isn't it? It's not that funny but I had to laugh. Just glad it's not outside my house!
@JudyEv Me too! I would be out there throwing things at it to try to knock it down if it was in front of my home.
@Madshadi (7348)
• Brussels, Belgium
That's a mystery
It really is. I hope it is removed or falls to the ground soon. Not attractive at all.
@Madshadi (7348)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Corbin5 I hope it doesn’t fall on someone’s head
@Madshadi Luckily, it hangs over the street, which means a passing car may be the victim.
How weird. I've had garbage hit my car because I was behind one of their trucks that was full to the brim but lucky for me it was a couple paper or foam kinda coffee cups. I was on I10 so I didn't stop to retrieve the trash. Since we don't have many trees I doubt this would happen here.
I must say it is a sight I have never seen before, and it did make me chuckle, so it has some merit.
Yeah, it is laughable as long as it doesn't come loose and fall on your car @Corbin5 right?
@rebelann Well, thankfully, it is several houses down from ours. One of these days, that thing will drop.
People here put shoes hanging on things high up but never have seen that before that is in the picture. I see here that the garbage bins get stuck when they are getting the stuff from them out into their truck.
I am wondering if the automatic arm on the garbage truck had the arm so high up that the bag became snagged on a branch.
@Corbin5 That could be Deborah. I have seen how they attach our garbage cans to their truck to dump what is inside and sometimes the bin gets stuck and they have to pound on it to get it unstuck or something like that.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
That is very funny. Sure hope some kids were not playing a prank and put the garbage bag up in that tree.
Well, it is up there so high that it would have taken great skill to get up there and have it attach itself to a branch. Sure is a strange sight to see.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 You are so right on that one.
@sallypup (23450)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Bombs away!! Just hope that bag doesn't fall on some one.
Well, since it hangs over the street, a car just may suffer the drop.
@sallypup (23450)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 That could be a smashing affair.
@bunnybon7 (34068)
• Holiday, Florida
oh my lets hope it doesn't fall on someone's car or them.
Yes, I think people are safe since the bag is hanging over the street, but feel sorry for any car on which it might land.
@bunnybon7 (34068)
• Holiday, Florida
Wow, lol. They trying to get the bears around?
I thought about the bears too, but we do not have bears here. Maybe the squirrels can find some food in that bag.
@Corbin5 ooh thats good then!
@cacay1 (32294)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
no one would volunteer to climb the tree to remove the trash in a garbage bag. I think a very tall still can hit it to drop it to the ground. That was a funny thing to see on that tree,lol.
It was a brand new sight to me!!! I hope it falls down soon.
Lol that would be a very odd thing to see, like did somebody really go through that much effort to play a prank.
I don't know. If someone did throw it, they have a good aim!
Oh wow! Seems like below a firefighter to do this but I understand it may he the only option!
Maybe the wind will blow it down. Sure does look strange up there.
That would be an interesting site!
After I came home, I got in the car again to get a good photo. Too weird to pass that up.
• Marion, Kansas
Circumstances combined just right, I see, to produce and eyesore.
I am just glad it is on a tree that is far down the block from our house. It is a one-of-a-kind item in the neighborhood.
• Preston, England
hopefully it will blow free eventually - I remember losing a kite to a tree and it still being tangled up there two years later before it finally got removed or fell away
Oh yes, those kites, once tangled, stay put in those trees. Oh well, that thing has got to plop to the ground one of these days.
@Fishmomma (11529)
I would call the trash company and hope they send somebody out to remove it. Several times when I lived in Oregon the fire department would come out and remove items from trees. I lived next to a pole and all kinds of items would end up there including a lot of plastic empty bags.
Oh yes, we have the plastic grocery bags stuck in trees at times. I think the trash company should take care of this problem too.
• Riga, Latvia
Good one. I must say if the bag is not heavy could it have been a crow? The big crows that come into my garden if they don't see that I have put out any food they mess with garbage that I put out the door. I have had garbage bags torn up, whole chicken carcasses snatched etc. I remember one time thinking if the crow that took the chicken carcass drops it along the way some person will wonder how it would up in their yard Now just got to hope in your situation there that the bag doesn't burst. Can you imagine someone getting a garbage shower????
Yes, a car or a person could be the victim of a garbage shower. I may have to alert the authorities!!!