The Christmas stamps are in the safe

@Asylum (47312)
Manchester, England
As usual the Royal Mail has issued a series of Christmas postage stamps this year. I have a few Christmas cards to main overseas, so I decided to purchase the Christmas issue stamps for this purpose. I was aware that they were scheduled to be released in early November, so yesterday I called into the Post Office. When I enquired as to whether they had arrived I was told “Yes”, so I requested several Christmas stamps at £2-27 each. The counter assistant told me that she did not have any of that denomination, which seemed odd because logic would decree that all values would be delivered at the same time. I asked her when she expected the £2-27 issue to be available, so she went to ask a colleague. It transpired that all denominations were in stock, but the majority were being stored in the safe. Obviously I managed to attain the stamps, but cannot imagine why they were not available immediately at the counter. With items as time sensitive as Christmas issues it would seem logical to issue them to the counter staff immediately on delivery. They will still be valid in January, but clearly of less interest to people.
That is strange, like someone will steal all of the Christmas stamps.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
If they have a large amount of stamps then keeping some in the safe is reasonable, but not all of them.
Wonder why they are kept in the safe and not at the counter? Glad you were able to get them so you could get your cards out.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
It made no sense at all to me. Being a Christmas issue makes it more important to have them available.
@Asylum yes you would think so
That does seem strange. Bureaucracy at work again I guess and logic is locked in the safe with the stamps.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
The logic is hiding between the ears of some moron at the Post Office.
@Asylum And well-hidden in the convoluted recesses of a tiny mind.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv Yes, probably tucked behind a list of weird ideas.
• Lakewood, Colorado
In a safe? My gosh, what a world we live in
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Of course..same as here..never heard of them being locked in a safe
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@TiarasOceanView I hope that I never hear about it happening again.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Asylum Yes, it is rather disturbing dear @Asylum..I understand
That was rather silly of them
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Quite illogical for a seasonal item.
@Asylum Did they finally brought the stamps to the public area where they can be seen?
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@marlina They transferred some to the counter. They are kept behind the counter and cannot be seen, but at least they are available.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
I wish our country issued Christmas stamps - Christianity is the dominant religion in South Africa, with almost 80% of the population so you would think such a stamp would be issued. Ai Ai - Hello Barry
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Britain has been issuing Christmas stamps for decades, so I assumed that most countries did. They make a difference when sending Christmas cards.
• Denmark
Are you a serious stamp collector?
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
No, as the old saying goes 'Philately gets you nowhere'. I am mailing several Christmas cards overseas and the recipients are fond of stamps.
• Portland, Connecticut
That is very odd especially since International mail always needs to be mailed earlier.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Exactly, some destinations will have a latest posting date during November.
That does seem rather stupid, ridiculous in fact.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Yes, typical Royal Mail. Christmas stamps are more appropriate on Christmas cards than they will be in the early months of next year.
@valmnz (13199)
• New Zealand
It does seem a bit strange that they didn't have even a small supply at the counter. Hope you got them okay in the end.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
The girl was not even aware that the stamps had been delivered. Once this was known she acquired some and served me what I required. However, she only acquired the denomination that I wanted, whereas she should have acquired a small amount of each denomination.
@valmnz (13199)
• New Zealand
@Asylum don't deny the girl her exercise walking back and forth every time someone asks for them - probably more appealing than serving customers
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@valmnz Anything is more fun than serving customers.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure that people will enjoy seeing those special stamps.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I feel that using Christmas stamps for posting Christmas cards is worthwhile.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum I agree. It adds to the season.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@JamesHxstatic It is supposed together reason that they are produced.
@Srbageldog (5567)
That does seem odd. What good are the Christmas stamps if they are kept in the safe where customers cannot purchase them during the Christmas season?
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
It seemed even sillier to me that the assistant was not even aware that the stamps had been delivered.
@Asylum That is silly. Seems like the post office would communicate better with its employees.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@Srbageldog I would expect that this was a particular manager rather than the Post Office itself.
You are a dying breed, most of the people I know don't send their cards, they hand deliver them and for anyone who is out of state they use an ecard via email or else Facebook. Usually that's about the only time they bother to go online.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
This is true,but receiving an actual Christmas card is more likely to cheer someone up, even if only for a short while. This is definitely worth a little effort and a few Pounds.
You make a good point @Asylum maybe I should do that this year as well ..... hmmm, now I'll have to peruse through my store of photos to find one that would be suitable as a christmas card.
@garymarsh6 (12184)
Who wants to buy christmas stamps in January! Good lord someone is a bit brainless!
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Typically Royal Mail. I have bought Christmas stamps in March, which is ridiculous.
Thank you for the lovely card! It arrived in time to enjoy it throughout the holiday. Merry Christmas!
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
You are more than welcome. I am pleased that you like it.
That does seem odd.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
It seems quite pointless because it would mean that the4 Christmas stamps would be used in January and February instead of November and December.
• Marion, Kansas
I guess they did not want to spoil the surprise by having someone sneak and early release. There is no explaining the postal service, for sure.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Individual Post Offices do not receive stock until the release date.
@Shiva49 (9688)
Kept away too safely for use on time. Obviously lack of awareness - siva
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
More a case of lack of interest on their behalf.
@Fleura (6225)
How odd, I wonder if that's just your local post office or a nation-wide thing? Makes me want to go and ask for some now!
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I expect that this was just the local branch, but cannot be certain.
Christmas stamps seem to be selling like hot cakes.It is beyond me why they stored them in the safe.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I doubt whether the person who placed them in the safe has any idea why.