Have you ever seen bushes like these?

Desert bushes in a wet year, I took this a few days ago.
El Paso, Texas
I know many of you are accustomed to forests, green meadows and flowers but here IF we get enough rain this is what grows. Have you ever seen these kinds of bushes before? Around here we call those near the back of the photo trees.
• Peoria, Arizona
Yep! Wonderful photo, but yet they are all around here. I love them but they always hide some sneaky creatures in them.
Thank you. I remember being impressed with all the cacti in the Sonoran desert, the Chihuahuan doesn't have that kind of variety we mostly have yucca, mesquite and these bushes right now, a lot of the desert here has been destroyed to make way for houses with their rock landscapes.
• Peoria, Arizona
@rebelann I don't know the names of any deserts haha too many to keep track of. But right out of Surprise we still have a massive desert and it is amazing looking. But it is changing every day, even in just my lifetime that desert has changed so much.
I'm betting the desert you see is much smaller than the one I remember @DesirousDreamer Phoenix has almost tripled in size since 1985 when I last drove through there.
@tzwrites (3813)
I have seen them on tv and in photos but I haven't been to such dry areas yet.
Many people who are located here because of the Army do not like our hot dry climate. It is not easy to get used to if you are accustomed to humidity and lots of vegetation.
That kind of brush can be found here in Southern California. When it becomes dry, then a brush fire danger.
I wonder why we don't get the fires you guys do, the Chihuahuan desert is full of these bushes and some of our droughts last 8 or more years. Oh, those grasses only grow if it's a wet year, as 2017 has been.
No I have not.I have been out in the Mojave desert but I do not recall seeing those bushes.
Makes sense, the Mojave is different from the Chihuahuan desert as is the Sonoran desert, each has it's own unique plants.
@YrNemo (8548)
If you mean the tall dry grass bushes, then I see them all the time in my front and back lawns & gardens! I have been working on them (weeding) like mad for the last couple of months! No, that is not true, for the last 5 years. Things were worse before, the bushes are going down in number I am glad to say!
Oh yeah, the grass, that is prarie grass which was what the bison used to eat before this area was destroyed by houses and businesses. I actually meant the green bush on the lower right and the two green more or less trees at the top left to the right of the divide.
@YrNemo (8548)
@rebelann Thank be to God, I don't have those but something similar. The experts used a bad name for them, I forgot the word suddenly.
Ok, well maybe you will think of it later @YrNemo
@sallypup (21879)
• Moses Lake, Washington
The yellow weeds remind me of my place. Not sure about the bushes.
Those yellow "weeds" are indigenous plants in the Chihuahuan desert, the reason they are yellow here is because of the blooms, they produce tiny daisy like flowers not even as big as a dime.
@sallypup (21879)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@rebelann Maybe its rye grass that is all over my hill. I put some of it in the hen's nesting box yesterday.
In wet years we do get a long tough rye grass that'll grow and it's the dried grass you see in the photo but they don't bloom with tiny daisy like flowers @sallypup
It is rare. I have never seen that before.
What does your countryside look like? I have never been to China.
No, but I liked the photo.
Thank you. What kind of plants grow where you are?
@rebelann I don't know much about these. Trees, grass, some flowers.
So you are a city slicker then @TheInvisibleMan ?
We have very tall trees here and if to close to homes sometimes fall on them during storms. This photo is gorgeous.
I can't imagine living near forests but I'll bet it's pretty in its own way.
@rebelann I love being in the woods except when it’s cold but the woods are even more beautiful in the winter covered with snow.
BBBBuuuuurrrrr, I don't think I could handle snow if I were in the woods @shaggin
@kepweng (6349)
im scared to go thier beacuse snakes are Hiding thier!
Snakes would rather run from me so they don't scare me but I don't like the insects that hide in them cuz they bite.
@cahaya1983 (9589)
I've seen bushes in some places although not sure if they're the same kind as those in your picture.
If your climate there does not get a lot of rain or cold weather then maybe these are the same ones.
@Shellyann36 (8618)
Well, they look similar to some we have here in NC. I remember going to Oklahoma with one of my ex's and the shock of no trees is quite an adjustment. Of course, the wide open sky more than makes up for it.
OK is much more humid than we are though. The way to describe it is that pet hair will actually float in the air for a while so I've got a spray bottle of water so they make it to the floor faster.