Do you buy food for homeless or beggars?

I went to Panda Express to grab my fiancé dinner. As I walked out the door, a homeless couple was asking for food. They were not asking me directly but I overheard the conversation - between the woman who was ahead of me earlier in line and the couple. The woman gave in (offered her food) but the couple didn't want it instead she asked the couple, what they wanted to eat? And wow! You would normally hear anything helps but these couples had a specific order. They wanted a 3 course entree - double scoop of beef and broccoli, orange chicken and half fried rice/chowmein. Not to mention, it was during rush hour dinner time so the woman had to stand back in line while her food was getting cold. I would think twice before purchasing food for someone (the couple) who weren't grateful.
That's pretty nervy! What's the saying, beggars can't be choosers . . . that's kinda taking advantage of someone's generosity. I might offer what I already have . . . but if they didn't take it, I don't think I would give into such a picky request.
I was waiting for my fiancé to pull up. He had to park further because it was busy rush hour for dinner. I was shocked on what I heard. I was discussing it with my fiancé and dude if they didn't want the food she originally bought and for her to go back in line to get what they want. Some nerve right? Now her food is going to be cold and they get a warm meal. Not just a bowl or 2 course entree, but the top the line 3 course! Like what? I would have kindly rejected and spare some change if I was in her position and heard that.
@infatuatedbby Yes, I'd probably give some change at that point too (even offer the fortune cookie ) but I sure wouldn't line up again. The 3 course is like almost 10 bucks now too.
@much2say Yes you're right - at $10 bucks that isn't a cheap meal. Even at $10 bucks, I personally do the survey on the back of the coupon to save $1.50 for the 3 entree. But I have to pay an extra $1.25 for the honey walnut shrimp, so it comes out to be $9 and some change. Then I donated my spare change to the children's charity or something so, it comes out to be $10. I would most definitely not line up again, and have the food go cold shoot! It was a 10 minute or longer wait
Those are the kind you regret buying anything, but yes I have gave money to homeless or food.
@Srbageldog (5463)
Nope, I won't offer them anything. I know it's wrong running them out of town, but I really wish our city would do just that. A couple of nearby towns ran them off (made it illegal to panhandle) and they all came over here. They are everywhere, and most are demanding and rude. They often don't want food, they want money. It's a career to them, one where they can make $300 a day that they don't have to pay taxes on. You can't go anywhere anymore without being pestered by panhandlers.
300 a day??!!
@hereandthere Some of them make that much, yes. There was an article about local panhandlers in our paper a year or so ago and they interviewed some who revealed they make a couple thousand a week. Which is nuts! That's more than many people make in a month here in the U.S.!
@Srbageldog do they save up then retire?
@cahaya1983 (9597)
I wouldn't mind helping but that's quite odd, almost like taking advantage of someone already willing to help.
I was waiting for my fiancé to pick me up since he parked far (there was no parking). I was quite shocked to hear what I heard.
• Guangdong, China
well, I would like to buy food for those who will be grateful no matter what I bought for them.
That is what I would think also. I don't know about leaving my food cold to stand back in line for someone to get a warm meal. Sort of sounds selfish and taken advantage of when someone offered their food.
• Guangdong, China
@infatuatedbby those without grateful hearts will not consider other's inconveniences.
@Behindtheguitarbar I felt bad for the woman. She and I just donated our spare change to the organization when we paid for our food. Then, she went outside and stumbled upon this. She seemed to be in a rush too, but it's nice she has a heart to deal with those beggars.
@sishy7 (27295)
Sometimes I'm simply amazed of the nerve some beggars or homeless have...
I was just as shocked!
In general. I just give them money.
I don't always give to all of them. Some have high expectations and in my area, some even scam people as they have a home and even a career (all over the news).
I would not do what she had done. I would have sat down and ate my food and then bought them something, one bowl each, that food is expensive.
@alberello75 (13525)
• Genova, Italy
Well, you have to know that in my city (Genova), it is populated by colorful people who beg for alms in front of supermarkets. They do not ask for food, but only money. A few times I offered a few cents of Euro, by the rest of my spending. Often some people really make me sorrow! My dear, you must however know that I, one day become a bum like them! Try to understand, I do not have a job, I'm manteained by my parents and I receive from the Italian State a miserable disability allowance of just 290 € / month! (340$) I will not have other alternatives for my sad future!
On top of the money you receive each month, do you have to help your parents' with rent or anything? I feel that if you're asking someone to pay for a meal which was $10.00, I don't think one should be picky of what they're receiving.
@alberello75 (13525)
• Genova, Italy
@infatuatedbby I have to pay 100 € / month, for the restoration work of my mother's home, in Piombino. I admit this was a mistake, on my part, to accept this! So, as you can easily calculate, what remains for me just for me, it is € 190 ($ 226). According to you, is it an admissible amount? in my opinion, NO!
@alberello75 Well, I don't know. Everyones situation is different. But my topic was being ungrateful for the food that was given, they requested something else.
@tzwrites (3813)
They sound like ungrateful people so no, I wouldn't even give them anything.
@tzwrites (3813)
But in general if I see people who are genuinely in need of help then yes I would give some money.
Yeah they were ungrateful. I was so shocked to hear that.
@tzwrites You are very sweet. I do occasionally give spare change. But, there are a lot of imposers here.
That's crazy to specifically ask for a 3 course entree. Wonder if these people were really homeless or just con artists
I know right?! Once when I was like 16, someone begged for $5 and I'm like no, and drove off.
@tessastv (276)
• Inverness, Scotland
Quite inappropriate for a beggar to have the nerve to ask for specific food. It's really strange. Huge respect for the lady, for having been so patient and eager to buy those people what they wanted. Kindness wins, always.
Yes good karma points for the lady. I would not fall for such beggar though. Just like how when we're given meals or our parents' worked hard to prepare food we don't necessarily like but we eat it anyway!
@pumpkinjam (5714)
I don't think I'd be helping people like that. I have bought a cup of tea for a homeless person, and I've given away fruit and bottled water on a hot day. I don't think I've ever actually bought a meal for a homeless person, though. I think the couple here should have been grateful that the lady had been willing to give up her meal, not expect her to go back in and buy them something that the lady might not have wanted to buy
I would not be willing to give to people like that also. I was so shocked to hear the words out of the couple and seeing the woman having to put her food away in the car and go back in line during rush hour dinner time! I understand if someone was offering willingly but it seemed like this lady was pressured because she didn't know how to say no. But good karma points for the lady hopefully!
@iridion9 (2329)
WOW
I was waiting for my fiancé to pull up pick me up (as it was busy) , but yeah crazy!
@hereandthere (24138)
that was quite rude, not only because they want something more expensive, (give a hand, they take your arm) but they were also inconveniencing the lady. i would probably retract my offer and give them money instead - and a smaller amount, too. and if it they, in turn, feel insulted by it and refuse to take it, then good riddance!
I have brought food back to people when they are homeless to help them out.
@JustBhem (22506)
• Davao, Philippines
OMG. A picky beggar. Nah, I won't entertain them. This also happens to me and the boyfriend. The boyfriend is the one who is always kind. One time he asked a Family of 5 what they want to eat in a Chicken store (fried chicken) since none of the talks. The boyfriend purchased a 5 fried chicken with rice and gave it to them. The husband said we don't eat chicken we want that - pointing to a grilled meat near the chicken store. I was shocked because of the nerve of these picky beggars. We left them with the food. And we watch it from the distance. The kids ate it, while the mother and the father did not.
@YrNemo (8553)
Thought I was reading a fiction! Don't know what to say! (Perhaps that homeless couple was the woman's relatives? Perhaps they were blackmailing her over something only the three of them know about?)
@ilocosboy (33280)
He he, those beggars are classy and choosy, bring it own to the beggars who are not just beggars but beggers.
@Madshadi (4749)
• Brussels, Belgium
She could've just give them the money and make them stand in line instead. But yeah that was a very odd behaviour.