Elvis Costello

Daytona Beach, Florida
This man’s musical style didn’t really appeal to me at first but then I took a listen to what he had to offer and I discovered quite a few songs that I like. This English singer and songwriter didn’t arrive into this world with the name Elvis Costello. He was born as Declan Patrick MacManus. His career began in the early 70s when he started to sing at some of the pubs that were part of the rock scene in London, England. He started gaining popularity with his first album My Aim is True which came out in 1976. By the time Costello released his second album This Year’s Model in 1978 it ranked at number 11 on a list of the best albums in the period 1967 – 1987 by Rolling Stone magazine. Costello did a lot of touring along with his band The Attractions however most of the work he had done is attributed to a solo performer. Costello had won various awards including a Grammy Award. He and his band The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. Costello ranks at number 80 on the list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time by Rolling Stone. Costello’s choice of name came by combining the first name of the King of Rock and Roll Elvis and his father’s name Costello. Costello has also released an album of country music cover songs called Almost Blue. Among the songs in the album are Hank William’s “Why Don’t You Love Me (Like You Used to Do?)”, Merle Haggard’s “Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down” and Gram Parson’s “How Much I Lied”. A surprise U.K. hit single from this album was Costello singing George Jones’ “Good Year for the Roses”. In 1986 Costello came out with the album Blood and Chocolate from which came one of his signature concert songs “I Want You”. It was after the tour for this album that Costello broke up with his band The Attractions. In 1989 he signed on with Warner Bros. and released another album Spike containing his biggest U.S. single “Veronica” that he co-wrote with Paul McCartney. Other well-liked and known songs by Costello include “The Other Side of Summer”, “Big Tears”, “Allison”, “Accidents Will Happen”, “My Funny Valentine”, “That Day is Done” and “Brilliant Mistake” among so many others. Elvis Costello came out with his last album in 2013 Wise Up Ghost and declared that as he was approaching sixty years of age it would be his last because he wanted to spend the rest of his life concentrating on his family. However he did say that he would do an occasional concert. He received an Honorary Doctorate of Music from the New England Conservatory in Boston, Massachusetts on October 25, 2013. I absolutely fell in love with the song “She” that Costello wrote for the movie “Notting Hill” starring Julie Roberts. Any Costello fans out there? Has anyone seen the movie Notting Hill? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Costello
Elvis Costello - She 'Notting Hill' ost ** Elvis Costello in Korea 2011. 2. 27 Seojong Arts Centre
I think I did but not sure.Elvis Costello is married to the lovely and piano and singer Dinah Krall.
We saw her perform at a very big concert at one of our wineries in Western Australia. She gave a great concert.
@JudyEv that is wonderful I have not seen her.She is all around us.But difficult to get us there
I have seen Notting Hill. Fourwalls will like this post. Amazing he was considered punk/new wave when he started out.
Elvis Costello is a very good singer.
I've seen Nottinghill twice I think. It's a good movie - has a happy ending that I always like.
Yes, I like watching it now and then and really love that ending @JudyEv
@FourWalls (13739)
Actually, "She" was written by Charles Aznavour (who also wrote the original song that became Roy Clark's biggest hit, "Yesterday, When I Was Young"). No surprise that Costello would do it, though, given that he did an album of songs co-written with Burt Bacharach and has covered everything from Loretta Lynn ("Success" on the aforementioned Almost Blue album) to the Kinks. I love his music tremendously.
Thanks for the info @FourWalls I too am a big music fan. That is why I set up a music blog on Blogger. Just love finding song themes and picking out YouTube videos.
I'm an Elvis Costello fan. I have his album with Burt Bacharach.
I saw that movie at least twice.
@1hopefulman (28435)
That is one of my favorite movies and I also loved his rendition of "She" and it is far superior to any other I have ever heard.
Yes! I love Elvis. I saw him in Belgium. "Watching the Detectives" is my favorite by him.
Lucky you having seen him in concert @teamfreak16
He is a great singer.