Hawaiian Pizza Is Not Hawaiian!

Calgary, Alberta
Hawaiian pizza is my favorite pizza. I can devour one medium Hawaiian pizza in one sitting; of course, when I am hungry. I was surprised to learn that Hawaiian pizza was not "born" in Hawaii. Italy is known for their delicious pizzas. I learned that beautiful people of Italy hate my favorite Hawaiian pizza. I have no clue why they hate it. My guess is they find it more delicious than theirs. Anyway, Hawaiian pizza is not Hawaiian. It was not invented in Hawaii. My favorite pizza was born in Ontario, Canada. It was created by a Greek-Canadian named Sam Ponopoulos in 1962! No wonder why Canadians love Hawaiian pizza; it tastes Canadian! I wonder what will our friend @sabtraversa say. She is from Italy, although she promised in one of her comments that she won't shoot me for being obsessed with Hawaiian pizza, she might change her mind now. What is your favorite pizza?
@sabtraversa (9793)
I know I can't judge if I never tasted it, but it just sounds wrong, that's why we "hate" it.
• Calgary, Alberta
@sabtraversa . . . Now you know how delicious our Canadian Hawaiian pizza . . you smelled its yummy aroma from my post. Otherwise, you would not be here to comment. Just kidding
@antonbunot Yeah, had to see where the stink came from.
@FayeHazel (11533)
That's because it is wrong. Very wrong.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Anything with pineapple for me please!!
• Calgary, Alberta
@sol_cee . . . Okay, just let me know when you are taking a vacation and we will meet anywhere, any time, any how in Ermita, Balintawak, Monumento, or even Ongpin . . to hand you your large Canadian Hawaiian pizza
@magallon (17358)
Hawaiian pizza is my favorite too. I love it if there are lots of pineapple. Hawaiian pizza is the most popular and most common pizza...
• Calgary, Alberta
@magallon . . Yehey! I hope beautiful @toniganzon will find your comment. Ey, she hates our Hawaiian pizza! She devours pepperoni! I hate pep!
@antonbunot it makes me want to vomit. and no comment could ever change my mind because I don't like anything sweet on my pizza.
@magallon (17358)
@antonbunot I also like pepperoni but I prefer hawaiian more....
• Guangdong, China
I like to order it in Pizzahut too.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Behindtheguitarbar Delicious, ey?
• Guangdong, China
@antonbunot yes, I usually order it if there is no other choices.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Behindtheguitarbar . . That means it is not your favorite. So, when you go to the drive-thru . I am guessing.this is how you order [ "Can I have a pepperoni, please!" The attendant may say - - "No, we don't have pepperoni!" Then you ask - - "What do you have?" The attendant responds - - "Just Hawaiian!" Then you say -"Well, I am hungry . . just give me a slice, please!"
I like Hawaiian too. I like the pineapple in it.
• Calgary, Alberta
@JudyEv The pineapple, o, yeah! Pineapple and avocado are my favorite fruits.
I can't pick just one as my favorite.
• Calgary, Alberta
@TheInvisibleMan . . . What you usually order most of the time?
@antonbunot Cheese and Bacon.
• Calgary, Alberta
@TheInvisibleMan Cheese pizza is the favorite of my wife. . . Also vegetarian.
My favorite pizza is the real Italian pizza. I hate this garbage.
• Calgary, Alberta
@LadyDuck . . . I forgot you are Italian!
• Calgary, Alberta
@LadyDuck . . So, in Switzerland, are there no Hawaiian pizzas? If they have in the USA, the Philippines, and in China, there must also be in Switzerland . . but for sure, not in Italy coz Hawaiian pizza is banned over there.
@antonbunot Have not seen Hawaiian pizza here in the south of Switzerland, may be you can find it in the north east, where they are German speaking, here in the south we are "too Italian".
I don't mind eating a few slices of Hawaiian pizza once in a while, but it not my favorite.
• Calgary, Alberta
@marlina What is your favorite then?
@antonbunot , A very simple pizza with pepperoni, sauce and extra cheese. Sometimes I will have a few anchovies on it.
• Calgary, Alberta
@marlina Anchovies?!
@Madshadi (4560)
• Brussels, Belgium
If it has meat on it then I wouldn't like it. But it's intentresting to know where it originated from
• Calgary, Alberta
@Madshadi O, well, here in Calgary you may ask the attendant not to add meat. Being a good customer of 'Lil Caesar pizza, they always add extra pineapple bits in my order. I love it.
@Madshadi (4560)
• Brussels, Belgium
@antonbunot I thought it comes with specific ingredients which makes it different than other pizzas
• Calgary, Alberta
@Madshadi I just love those pineapple bits !
I have eaten the late Mr Ponopoulous's pizzas and they are to die for! He had the Satellite restaurant in Chatham, which is a town near to where we used to live. And still to this day his nephews run a eatery, Quo Vadis, which as the best panzerotti I've ever tasted, and wonderful pizza as well. My nephew works for them. No Hawaiian pizza didn't come from the islands, it didn't even come from the US.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Juliaacv Hmm, I am guessing the late Mr. Ponopoulos knew the Latin language - - Quo Vadis means where are you going? I knew Latin coz I studied in a catholic seminary. O, yeah, I thought Hawaiian pizza originated in Hawaii . .
@antonbunot I didn't know what it meant, they are a Greek family.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Juliaacv Most Greek surnames end in poulus . . . Just like most Russian surnames end in vedev . . like Medvedev, rublev . . with the exception of the surname PUTIN!
@FayeHazel (11533)
I hate pineapple on pizza, but the factoids are interesting. Thanks for sharing. YOu can eat my part of Hawaiian/Canadian pizza
• Calgary, Alberta
@FayeHazel I am sad . . I was not able to sell you our Canadian Hawaiian pizza. . .
@FayeHazel (11533)
@antonbunot Oh shoot. ! lol
• Calgary, Alberta
@averygirl72 (13722)
It's my favorite pizza. I love the pineapple in it makes it taste sweet
• Calgary, Alberta
@averygirl72 O, I hope pretty @sabtraversa and @toniganzon will read your comment!
@antonbunot not into sweets that's why I don't like pineapple on my pizza.
• Calgary, Alberta
Vegetarian Pizza. it used to be pepperoni. Hawaiian pizza grosses me out.
• Calgary, Alberta
@toniganzon Philippine-baked Hawaiian pizza is not as delicious as our Canadian pizza. Canadian Hawaiian pizza is the most delicious in the world. Just like no world leader could match the "poginess" of our Prime Minister!
@antonbunot It's not how it is cooked or prepared. It's the pineapple. Any kind of food mixed with pineapple, I avoid.
@ridingbet (37889)
i like the simplest pizza, with pineapple chunks and cheese. is that Hawaiian? heheh
• Calgary, Alberta
@ridingbet Yup, it is Hawaiian . . . and Hawaiian pizza was "born" in Canada not in Hawaii.
Hawaiian pizza is my favorite also! But only certain pizza places put enough pineapple on it. I hate when I order it and they only put two tiny pieces of pineapple per slice!
• Calgary, Alberta
@Mr._Anomaly - - Next time you order, I suggest you go to Lil' Caesar. They put lots of pineapple pieces.
Hawaiian pizza is fine for me. I especially like pizza with lots of cheese.
• Calgary, Alberta
@youless Cheese pizza!
@antonbunot Not the one shown in your picture here. More like the ones in this link. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/explainer/2012/03/why_do_pizzerias_offer_anchovies_.html
I don't prefer pineapple on pizza. Everything else though!