Ten Bubblegum Songs: Dizzy (#2)

@FourWalls (15823)
It's almost time to chew up this series of ten bubblegum songs that I can tolerate. For the final two, I'll gladly admit that I love these songs. I will also admit that there may be some controversy as to whether or not they belong on a list of "bubblegum pop" songs. Here's one of two really good songs on the list. #2: Dizzy - Tommy Roe I have to tell you something: Tommy Roe almost made bubblegum respectable. He gave us some great songs: "Hooray for Hazel," "Sheila" (his Buddy Holly impersonation), "Sweet Pea," and "Jam Up Jelly Tight." "Dizzy," co-written by Freddy Weller (who went on to have a moderately successful career as a country singer in the early 1970s), was Roe's biggest single. It was #1 for a month. That's easy to understand, because it's a fun song. If this is too "bubblegum" for your taste, listen to the version by the Wonder Stuff with Vic Reeves on lead vocals. That thing rocks. Dizzy Written by Tommy Roe and Freddy Weller Recorded by Tommy Roe From Dizzy, 1968 And it's you, girl, making it spin:
http://www.squidoo.com/numberonesongsof1969videoshowcase His number one song from 1969. This song was number one for four weeks. http://www.youtube.com/user/...
Oh my God, I haven't heard or thought of this song in decades. You really dredged this one up.
@FourWalls (15823)
I'd forgotten about it for a long time, until I saw the Wonder Stuff cover. Now I have both versions on my iPod.
The classic jaunty little toe tapping ditty that is "Dizzy" by Vic Reeves & The Wonder Stuff from 1991...
I was gonna say you had the wrong Tommy, didn't know he did a version of the Tommy James song. I sang 'Dizzy' at a school function in what...4th grade I think. My first public solo performance.
@FourWalls (15823)
Thanks for catching that. And from there you went to....
You'd better watch out, I'm telling you why If you ain't careful you're gonna die Santa Claus is coming to kill you He's sharpening knives, he's loading his ...
@dgobucks226 (14331)
Tommy Roe had quite a surprisingly successful career. Sheila also reached #1 status for him.
@FourWalls (15823)
He did have a good career, with plenty of good songs. I had to flip a coin between this one and "Sweet Pea."
• Walnut Creek, California
Some bubblegum was fun! I liked "Dizzy"!
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I love tommy Roe sweet little Sheila jam up and jelly tight.
Thank you, thank you how i love this song. Always makes me smile.
@Dyvette16 (1466)
• San Antonio, Texas
This is cool !
• Denver, Colorado
Obviously, I prefer the Wonder Stuff version!