Thanksgiving: Host or Guest

By DB
With Thanksgiving just days away I thought I would ask these appropriate questions about the holiday. Would you rather host Thanksgiving dinner or be a guest and why? How much does it cost for those hosting to buy all the fixings to prepare your dinner? How long does it take to prepare your Thanksgiving meal. By the way, I am a guest and always bring desserts and wine. Photo- people.howstuffworks.com
We don't have Thanksgiving in Australia so it will just be another day for us.
Funny thing about holidays, there is always another around the corner. And although you don't celebrate this one, sure there are many others throughout the year that you do celebrate. Thanks for responding.
@dgobucks226 That's very true - and although it's not Thanksgiving we are going out to lunch with friends so it's all good.
@HazySue (17029)
I have hosted Thanksgiving at my home for years and it always costs me more than I like to think about. in money and preparation. I never stopped to think about how much or how many hours. This year we will be having Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-laws home.
Nice to have a break from hosting on occasion. Cost wise, at least it is a once a year event.
This year I will cook for just me and Tony. I have hosted and I have been the guest. Its days of work and the cost can vary depending on the spread. I am picky about where I eat.
They say in my state of New Jersey the average cost of a Thanksgiving meal this year is $51.50. Last year it was $60.85.
I am a perpetual guest so to speak.
In popular demand is always a good thing!
I like to do both, but right now my Mom still makes big dinners so I don't need to, but I make some side dishes.
Always nice to contribute something to the meal. I do the same thing.
@shivamani10 (10654)
• Hyderabad, India
I always like to be a host for Thanksgiving Day.
Is that something you do each year? Hosting can be a lot of work, but fun and gratifying when everyone compliments you on a good well done!
We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the old world (of course), but I have always hosted The Christmas Eve dinner. I started the day before to prepare a few things. The cost depends a lot on what you plan to serve, but it's not a fortune. Surely a lot less than going to a restaurant or buying ready made food.
Christmas Eve dinner is a very nice tradition. Growing up we never did that, but always went to the Christmas Evening Mass which I always enjoyed. Good point about the cost. Going out would cost a small family much more. Imagine a large gathering...
@dgobucks226 We also used to go the the Midnight Mass, it was beautiful when I was young. I do not know why, but in our days this has lost its magic. It's no more like it used to be.
@LadyDuck I agree Anna, I don't know why either? Maybe I'm just getting to old.
I would rather be a guest, I guess. Less work.
Chillin man....
@cahaya1983 (9505)
Guest of course! I don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I have a big extended family so organizing a big dinner can be a lot of work, lol. But if I have enough help I would love to be the host.
It does take work! I am going to be a guest too, but when I do host an occasional dinner, it is a lot of organizing and timing with cooking the food.
@peachpurple (11034)
I will be the guest because I like to eat, hate to prepare and it is FREE!
That sounds like a great plan peachpurple!
I a not trying to cook anything this year. I really don't want to be a guest and I am sure a few hundred with my family.
Thanksgiving can be very expensive with all that food buying.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
It depends if the main organizer requested me to be the host but I love to be just a guest
I think it is nice to be either. Some people really enjoy hosting. As a host it takes a lot of work and organizing, but your reward is to see everyone happy and enjoying themselves.
@dgobucks226 Oh so true! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!
@m_audrey6788 Hope you enjoyed yours simplyme!
@rubyriaz007 (2505)
We don't prepare a Thanksgiving dinner. Your meal looks very delicious. I take one and a half hour for preparing my Thanksgiving meal.
Ours is a very long process, getting up very early in the morning. Everyone chips in to bring about a wonderful feast. Thanks for responding, Rubeena.
@dgobucks226 You are most welcome.