Two Shows Recently Watched

@CoralLevang (40639)
I have a stack of things to watch, but I just finished watching The ANZAC Girls, yesterday. It was a six-part Australian drama series which aired in 2014. It told many true stories of nurses who served in World War I with the Australian Army Nurse Corps on the Western Front and at Gallipoli. It was based on diaries and photographs, letters and other documents. I really enjoyed this show, especially as it was based on real characters and historical events. These are the types of shows that inspire me to want to learn more of the history that I missed learning (chose not to learn?) in high school. I also watched The English Patient. I know that this 1996 film won 9 of its 12 nominations, including Best Picture. I actually had a difficult time following this film. Perhaps, I need to watch it again, or read the book first. Have you ever watched an acclaimed movie that you did not quite "get"?
It's a long time I do not watch war related movies. I have spent the day in Italy yesterday. Mom is hospitalized, the least I could do was to go there and check if I could help. I am exhausted now.
@CoralLevang (40639)
This was not a typical war movie that I have ever seen. But I still had a difficult time following it. I think that it was due to the "flashback" telling of the story. I'm sorry to hear of your mother's hospitalization.
@CoralLevang I always have a hard time understanding movies with too many flashback.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@LadyDuck I don't mind it if they go back, tell the story, and then join the current time from the beginning to the end, but the back and forth makes me nutty.
I have seen ANZAC Girls. It was good and depicted the mud and lousy conditions. I didn't care for The English Patient.
@CoralLevang (40639)
So, we are in agreement with this one!
@CoralLevang Apparently so. BTW, I watched an Idris Elba movie on Sunday!
@CoralLevang (40639)
@JohnRoberts Which one?
I usually get movies, but some of them I have to work my brain in overdrive to understand what's going on. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was kinda hard to understand, because of the timelines, and the memories.
@CoralLevang (40639)
That is one that I haven't heard of. I will probably try to watch TEP again at some point.
The documentary sounds really good. I hate movies that I feel I cant keep ip with.
@CoralLevang (40639)
ANZAC wasn't really a documentary, but a mini-series, based on true stories. If you can find it, you may like it.
i have never watched ANZAC f I can't get it on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime video i do not see them as I have no idea ,and my sister the same on how to work my DVD machine. My mom was the only one who worked the machine. I think i would love the show though. I need to watch more things as you do, you are an inspiration to me dear one!
@CoralLevang (40639)
I get a sense that you would like "The ANZAC Girls." Thank you for your kind words. Hugs.
@CoralLevang Yes I paid attention in school but have forgotten so much history in the 27 years i have been out of school.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@Marty1 Taking this WWII history class has been a real treat for me now!
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
To be honest I rarely 'get' films that seem to be critically acclaimed. Essentially, I want to be entertained when I watch a film and most critically acclaimed films tend to be critically acclaimed because critics want to show the world how wonderfully clever they are and how they get what the film-maker is trying to achieve. I've never seen The English Patient but I know that it's just not going to be something I would enjoy.
@CoralLevang (40639)
I know what you mean, but there are some "critically acclaimed" that have some enjoyment for me! LOL
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@CoralLevang I think the only critically acclaimed film I've really liked is 'Memento'. Difficult to keep up with as it is shown in reverse time order but is a really clever film. Very low budget and no special effects but a very entertaining and thought-provoking watch.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@WorDazza I will have to look that one up!!
I have watched several movies at the suggestion of others and found that perhaps our tastes in movies were not the same. Hence the reason why I just didn't get it or enjoy watching the film.
@CoralLevang (40639)
I understand that one completely.
@CoralLevang at the recommendation of a friend I watched Pulp Fiction. It really wasn't my cup of tea. Watched it twice just in case I missed something, and I found I didn't. Disappointed, and total waste of my time.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@ElusiveButterfly That is one that never appealed to me.
I rarely watch movies, especially the critically acclaimed ones. The last war related movie I watched is perhaps Letter from Iwo Jima
@CoralLevang (40639)
Have you ever seen "Flags of Our Fathers"?