Do you go shopping on Thanksgiving?

A post by @thislittlepennyearns got me thinking about this. The trend over the past several years has been for retail stores to open on Thanksgiving Day so people can start their Black Friday shopping early. Some places open as early as 2 or 3pm which means employees need to be in at 1or 2. No time for Thanksgiving dinner with the family for them which I think is disgraceful. I don't believe stores should open on Thanksgiving. Maybe grocery and liquor stores in the morning for last-minute supplies but that's it. No one needs to go out on the day to buy overpriced and then discounted crap to give for Christmas. It will be there at midnight on Black Friday or whenever the stores open up. Leave Thanksgiving alone as a day for families to enjoy time together. I won't be shopping this Thursday. Will you?
I hate when stores open then! i did hear Mall of America decided they are not going to open on Thanksgiving, so that gives me some hope. I do wake up and watch the local 4;30 am news to see all these people shopping and see the aerial photos of parking lots even though it is sickening. Yes, I have no life when that is my yearly tradition!
The Black Friday craziness would scare me. People are always fighting and getting hurt.
@NJChicaa I would never go out that day either as some people are so consumed by what they wish to purchase they don't care! I read once where that $199 laptop (I heard it on a commercial and don't remember where) they usually only get a handful of the really good buys.
I never go shopping when it is a holiday.
Me either
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
I won't even be shopping online on Thursday. It's going to be a nice day with family for us. And I agree with you, I wish the stores would close on Thanksgiving so all their people got the day off. I hope those working that day are at least getting paid a boatload of "extra money" lol.
I highly doubt it.
I agree with you. Thanksgiving should be spent with family. People shouldn't have to work that day. Really sad.
There is nothing so important that it can't wait until Friday. I don't know why these stores are in such a rush that they disregard their employees so
We donĀ“t have Thanksgiving. But I would not like to be either working or going shopping on a holiday.
I don't understand it at all
@NJChicaa Probably lonely people would want to do that.
No way. I duck under the covers from the shopping madness.
Smart man.
@m_audrey6788 (13622)
I do shopping earlier everytime
Not this year.
Good for you
@NJChicaa Yeah, save money.
When I worked in radio, I had no choice but to work. Other jobs, I volunteered because of the extra pay.
I've never had to work on Thanksgiving. I have a friend who is high up in JC Penney and he has to be there at 1pm tomorrow. No relaxing day with the family for him and that is a shame because he already works like a dog and now it is going to get worse with the holiday season starting.
I agree. I thought it was awful when stores started opening on Thursday, though not as early as 2. I drove past Wal-Mart last year and they had police directing traffic into the parking lot. It is a disgrace to the idea of family togetherness and thankfulness to butt into the day like that. No, I will not be taking part in the Thursday or Black Friday madness.
Good for you!
I never do! Because I know how they mark things up weeks before and then put the "sale" price on, plus they only have so many of the sale item in stock.
And people fall for it every year.