I Was Woolgathering

Our lovely myLotter @YrNem used the term "woolgathering" in one of her discussions. My mother often used the term woolgathering when I was a kid. Woolgathering is when a human indulges in absentmindedness, aimless thought, or does a bit of dreamy imagining Yesterday, I grabbed the oatmeal container from our pantry, removed the lid, and filled a scoop with oatmeal. I must have been woolgathering as I stood before our coffeemaker because I did place the scoop of oatmeal into the basket-style coffee filter located under the lid of that marvelous appliance. I am not sure how oatmeal would taste if brewed in a coffee machine. I have a feeling that I would have ended up with a big gloppy mess of oatmeal in that basket-style coffee filter, or the need to purchase a new coffeemaker would become a must. The oatmeal-filled scoop in my hand hovered over the basket-style coffee filter for a moment, but I did catch myself and did not empty the scoop into the basket. I really have to watch myself for signs of woolgathering to save myself future trouble. I wish I knew about what I was woolgathering, but I do not.
• Denmark
Dictionary.com tells me this: "Word Origin and History for woolgathering: 1550s, "indulging in wandering fancies and purposeless thinking," from the literal meaning "gathering fragments of wool torn from sheep by bushes, etc."
I think that I was well into purposeless thinking. I do wish I knew what that purposeless thinking entailed. I am sure the gathering of the wool stuck on bushes was a mind-numbing experience.
• Denmark
@Corbin5 That's a contradiction. If you know the purpose, it's not woolgathering anymore.
I guess we all do this once in a while.
Yes, sometimes most of us get lost in thought on occasion.
• Portland, Connecticut
Usually I am just distracted but not necessarily woolgathering. I do often woolgather but I am usually aware of it.
I hope I do not make a habit of woolgathering since that can lead to negative results.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Corbin5 lol It can indeed.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Got personal experience of that too. Other day salt almost went in the tea instead of a bit of sugar about 5 in the morning but tonight I can sleep yipeee.
I'm glad that you stopped woolgathering before you pressed the on button.
I am delighted too. I bet it would be one stick mess to clean.
@Corbin5 You could have asked your husband to clean it and then told him that he did it while he was so deep in woolgathering he may not remember it.
@Juliaacv Perfect!!!!!!!
@nanette64 (13843)
• Fairfield, Texas
You must have wanted some coffee but was hungry at the same time, so your brain decided it would tackle 2 things at the same time @Corbin5 .
Well, who knows, it may have worked for the oatmeal. Don't think I will test that idea, though.
@nanette64 (13843)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Yeah, I don't think I'd take a chance on that either.
@m_audrey6788 (11509)
I hope you go see a doctor just to be sure and eat more vegetables and peanuts
As long as I do not place oatmeal in the coffeemaker, I will be in good shape.
@Corbin5 Glad to know
@kobesbuddy (19465)
• East Tawas, Michigan
LOL That's a recipe I need to write down! Perked oatmeal, that would be a new one, just pour milk into the basket and presto, no dirty bowl to wash! I have a great recipe to share with you, also. Bake a nicely browned casserole filled with golden brown, bread pudding with raisins. But, forget to put the sugar in, O.K.? Then, let me know how much your family eats, of this luscious treat!:)
I want you to try the perked oatmeal first and let me know how it goes. I will give the browned casserole a try without the sugar and let you know how well it was received.
@kobesbuddy (19465)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 Bread pudding without sugar tasted like baked eggs, with hot raisins!:(
@kobesbuddy (19465)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 One time I made homemade bread, in an apartment sized oven. I didn't know that it also rises while it's baking! I saw smoke rolling out of our oven and found that the loaf of bread was frying, on the top of the oven! I took a spatula to free it's bond. Once the loaf was cooled on the counter, Bruce and I decided to cut off a couple slices. The entire insides, was a great big hole! Anyway, do you want this recipe, too?
• Pamplona, Spain
When you donĀ“t sleep well for various days you can "woolgather" anything I think. I can imagine what would have happened with your Coffee Maker if you would have put that in there. Lots of cleaning to do after for sure.
I am sure I would have bee left with a big mess. We have two coffeemakers, a spare one just in case, and I am tempted to try the oatmeal thing. What if a nice dish of oatmeal results?
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 A new kind of Scots Porridge Oats? With chocolate or coffee flavourings? I can only imagine but right now I am off to sleep as I really need to go bye byes. Speak soon all and Debs.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Sleep well, my friend!!!
• Preston, England
I never knew I was a woolgatherer until I read this - wow
I think woolgatherers are very interesting people.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 me too - much great art comes from wooly thinking
Oh that was a close call. !
Maybe brewed oatmeal would stay in the basket and taste pretty good, but not going to take a chance on trying that.
@Corbin5 i wouldnt lol
I once watched Tony put a coke in the cabinet and he said he did not do that, I was just messing with him, next time I will stop him in the moment.
Yes, you have to keep an eye on Tony so that you can stop him at just the right time.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
disaster averted! Shoowee that would've been a mess
I think it would have killed the coffeemaker.
@louievill (16341)
Thanks for teaching me a new word, well counting sheeps would put you to sleep lol
You are welcome for the new word. I often get lost in thought and forget what I was supposed to be doing.
i am glad you caught yourself as that sounds like a mess. I don't think i have had any kitchen mess ups since i took over the kitchen as I don't make coffee or eat oatmeal too often! (my oatmeal comes in packets i put in a bowl with milk) i have almost put pods of clothes detergent in the dryer when I am washing clothes! I managed to get softener sheet in the dryer this morning while I am doing my sheets!
I have done plenty of boo boos. You would have had an interesting mess if you had put the pods in the dryer. I have a mind that really wanders most of the time.
@Corbin5 I usually have things on my mind at most times and when the voices are around it makes it harder to concentrate. have not heard them since Onyx let me adopt him! Or it could be the medicine is working! I think the injections are supposed to work on that also!
@Marty1 I am so glad the voices have gone away. Let's say it is a combination of all three.
That one is a good one. Gave me a great chuckle. I've done a lot of woolgathering in my time. None recently. I've been too busy writing to do much of anything else.
I have to focus on what I am doing!! I seem to be deep in thought about some trivial thing most of the time.
@Corbin5 I understand about being deep in thought and needing to focus. That's my life.
@alberello75 (13178)
• Genova, Italy
If this is the right term, I think there are many people (including myself) living in the "Woolgathering"
Yes, you are right. It is when we are thinking of other things instead of concentrating on what we plan to do.
@alberello75 (13178)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 Indeed. You should know how many times this happens to me ...
Thank goodness you caught what you didwhat a mess that would have been.
@sallypup (21967)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Tasty coffee! It would be worse than mud, like my Dad called too dark coffee. Last week I caught myself putting the bottle of olive oil in the fridge. Oooops. I think the cheese went in the fridge too and not where the olive oil usually sits in the cupboard.
My mom once put furniture polish in the fridge when I was a kid. Concentrating on the task at hand is HARD!!
@YrNemo (8633)
I did that too often these days, eg, holding a banana peel in one hand and about to put it into the fridge, while another hand hovering over the bin with a bottle of milk...
Now that's a new term that I could use. I just hope that I won't be woolgathering.