Traditional

Marion, Kansas
I am in charge of making the traditional cooked whole berry cranberry sauce, like my mom used to make. Easiest thing in the world. If I feel like it I also will make some variations, like apple cranberry sauce, or jalapeno cranberry sauce. I always bring some back home. There may be a few other dishes I decide to make. Perhaps some orange cranberry muffins for breakfast. We shall see. What are you cooking, anything?
It will be just another day for us but I am cooking an apple cake today for relatives that are coming for lunch.
• Marion, Kansas
I have had some very good apple cake in the past that my dad's wife make.
I love homemade cranberry sauce! But my family grew up on the smooth jelly canned stuff so I just make it for us at home. I'm just bringing sides this year . . . stuffing (because my mom doesn't want to do it anymore), salad, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and some persimmon thing (haven't figured that out yet).
• Marion, Kansas
I make cranberry sauce often. I also put cranberries in other things like muffins and smoothies.
@GardenGerty Do you use the fresh cranberries in your muffins and smoothies? I don't think I've ever used the fresh ones for anything else other than "sauce" - I just haven't looked it (I think many people use those craisins - those dried cranberry raisins).
@1creekgirl (8741)
Most years I cook a large meal for Thanksgiving, but this year our daughter cooked since I can't do as much with my arm in a sling. Your cranberry dishes sound devine!
• Marion, Kansas
We always share the cooking so it is fun.
@BarBaraPrz (17542)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I like cranberry sauce on toast but not with turkey.
• Marion, Kansas
I use it in a lot of places. Other people make the raw cranberry with orange, or shredded salads in jello.
That sounds awesome. I do not have to cook oj Thanksgiving :)
• Marion, Kansas
I have had years when I have not cooked anything. I have even had Thanksgiving at restaurants.
@YrNemo (8592)
Fries, more fries... (I did a lot of cooking a few days ago. It is time for a rest today for me!)
• Marion, Kansas
I think it is a good day to have whatever your favorite is.
@YrNemo (8592)
@peachpurple (11003)
Cooking dinner and lunch as usual
• Marion, Kansas
Even when it is not a holiday, I like to cook a lot up, and then relax and cook less while eating leftovers.
@peachpurple (11003)
@GardenGerty I use left overs for morning breakfast
Ohh, cranberry jalapeno sounds good! Nothing special just the tradictonal dinner, except less since its just the 2 of us..
• Marion, Kansas
I have never tried making cranberry sauce with reduced sugar or some stevia substitute for sugar, so I have to limit my portions. I just follow the recipe on the cranberry package and chop a couple of jalapenos into the mix before I cook it down. This year I put some "gingerbread spice blend" and apples and a cinnamon stick in one batch. It is really hard for me to cook less. That is why it is good this is a shared meal.
• Rochester, New York
My brother is doing it all this year at his new place.
• Marion, Kansas
I guess that means you get to rest and enjoy.
@sallypup (21922)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'll start with dessert first: cherry pie made from last summer's fruit. We're doing Vegan this year so no turkey.
No Tofu turkey? I heard they were good.
@sallypup (21922)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@andriaperry We eat tofu in things like stir fries but the tofu hot dogs were like jello in texture. Blech. So no tofu turkey. We plan on carving out a round squash and putting home made cornbread batter in and baking that. Last year it turned out very pretty plus tasty.
• Marion, Kansas
@sallypup If that is what you enjoy and choose to do it sounds good to me as well. I could probably do it, but hubby would miss his turkey and ham.
Yum that sounds pretty good and, I will let you know on the night before.
• Marion, Kansas
Okay, and enjoy.
@Srbageldog (5487)
I have never heard of jalapeno-cranberry sauce, or apple-cranberry sauce. They both sound good! I will be cooking green bean casserole and a Dutch apple pie for my partner's family. Then I will be cooking sausage-apple-walnut stuffing and baked beans for my family's dinner on Saturday.
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, I just chop extra stuff into the cranberry sauce and cook it down til it jells. It is good. Have fun, I love the sausage apple walnut stuffing.
My mom and i will do all the cooking. Tomorrow is baking day. Thursday is the meal and then the gingerbread when the turkey gets out the oven
• Marion, Kansas
Mmmm gingerbread. Love it.
@thelme55 (11832)
I love cranberry sauce. We had rice, salad and meatloaf today. Enjoy your Thanksgiving Day.
• Marion, Kansas
There are a lot of ways to make it. We had a good day. Your meal sounds good.
@Fleura (6215)
So how do you make it - just stew cranberries with water and a bit of sugar?
• Marion, Kansas
Dissolve a cup of sugar in a cup of water, bring it to a boil. Add 12 oz. bag of cranberries that have been rinsed to boiling sugar water, return to a rolling boil, and cook for ten minutes. Cool slightly in pan, pour into container and allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. I have chopped jalapeno peppers, or tart apples into this as well.
@Fleura (6215)
@GardenGerty Sounds super simple and tasty. We saw some fresh cranberries available the other day so will try this!