Starting the food prep for Thursday ...with a glass or two of wine

@CoralLevang (40655)
Carbohydrate Overload When I looked at the food list I was preparing, I was amazed at the numbers of carbohydrate-laden foods on the menu, even considering what others were bringing. I felt sluggish just reading the list. So, I am altering things, and making sure there will be some crudités, and other cooked vegetables added. I may be the only one eating them, but I need to take care of myself. I have also decided not to make a bread dressing or have dinner rolls, as we will have dessert pastry or pie of some kind. Vegetables and salads I have already made a cucumber-onion salad, and I am cooking up beetroot to make a quick pickle. I have also prepared carrots, celery, zucchini, snap peas and broccoli for the crudité platter. I need to make a yogurt-dill dip for the center of the platter. Kale is soaking and will be turned into a massaged kale salad with lacinato and Russian kale, lemon juice, olive oil, a little sea salt, and before serving we'll toss some freshly shaved Parmesan cheese. After having made this about 10 days ago, I found it holds up extremely well for several days. I bought enough kale to make enough to also take with me on Saturday to an event. The Rest of the Meal A half of a turkey breast to roast, several slices of ham to reheat, mashed potatoes, and steamed or roasted kabocha squash are all things I can make rather easily. I also bought a bottle of sparkling non-alcoholic cider. BK will come over tomorrow and spend the night. She has a dessert in mind. I think that RG is bringing his favorite green bean casserole, and he will come over on Thursday. He has agreed to also bring a pumpkin pie and whipped cream. Once a Cheater, Always Prepared I cheated and bought the Nestle's cookie dough in the refrigerator case. Three types of cookies, and I will make one batch to have with coffee in case the desserts are forgotten. And speaking of forgotten... I need more vinegar. I should probably run to the commissary and get some before it closes at 7...or maybe I will simply wait until tomorrow. I am feeling a bit of effect of a couple of glasses of wine I've had this evening. Photo credit: Pixabay
I have cut the carbs in half also. I will NOT give up my cornbread dressing, that is what I love about Thanksgiving. I will only make one type of potato but I wont partake. I am making Turkey, dressing, giblet gravy. Potato salad or yams. Green beans. There is one Key lime pie but I will not cut it till the weekend.
@CoralLevang (40655)
I make up bread dressing, but I love cornbread dressing.
You can indulge once in awhile and a holiday is a good exception.
@CoralLevang (40655)
but then there's one holiday after another holiday and then several people do it on different days so then you end up eating like that for a 6-week period I can't do that!
@CoralLevang All in moderation then. I have very simple repasts so not too much overindulging here.
@CoralLevang (40655)
@JohnRoberts do you have traditional fare on Thanksgiving?
@Dyvette16 (1373)
• San Antonio, Texas
Seems like the meal will be yummy ! Hope y’all enjoy and have a great evening
@CoralLevang (40655)
Thank you! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, if you celebrate.
@Dyvette16 (1373)
• San Antonio, Texas
@CoralLevang yes I will be celebrating, thank you ! You as well
@CoralLevang (40655)
Thats alot of food. Yum tollhouse cookies!
@CoralLevang (40655)
It's not really a lot of food because I'm only made a pint of cucumber onions and 2 pints of pickled beets, and enough squash for three people, and enough mashed potatoes for us. And only enough turkey to feed four people, the same with the ham. I remember cooking the similar things but I would make 10 lb of potatoes and a 25 lb turkey and a 20 lb ham. I just don't do that stuff anymore
@CoralLevang sounds alot by the post.. but thats good you're making just enough
@CoralLevang (40655)
@Courtlynn aside from a couple of things, I'm not a big leftover person. And I don't need to overeat on the day that I make a big Feast like this. I'll overeat enough without helping it along! Haha
@Srbageldog (5419)
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! We will be having the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. My boyfriend's sister/aunt will be making turkey, dressing, mashed taters and gravy, and yams. I will be bringing green bean casserole and Dutch apple pie. (I cheated and bought one from the store, which I will bake tomorrow evening.) Then on Saturday I will have Thanksgiving with my family. They are also cooking turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams, etc. I will be making sausage and apple stuffing and my grandma's baked beans. My family tends to go overboard on the pies, and usually have one of each type that they find in the store, so I imagine there will be pumpkin, pecan, cherry, apple, and maybe peach or some other type. They don't pay attention to things like carbs, especially during the holidays.
@CoralLevang (40655)
I need to watch my carbs, because I've been putting weight back on again and I don't want to do that. Sounds like you're going to have a good weekend full of it! Enjoy!
@CoralLevang I probably need to start watching my carb intake. I need to lose about 50-60 lbs. I've lost a lot already, but I've reached a plateau and I'm not happy being stuck at my current weight. But, I will focus on that after the holidays have passed. For now I will just try not to gain any more weight.
@CoralLevang (40655)
@Srbageldog Some days, that's all we can hope for!!
@bluesa (12692)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That all sounds so tasty and healthy! Though the Nestle cookie dough speaks to me! I sometimes have a glass or two too
• Rochester, New York
Luckily i don't have to prepare anything this year. My brother is having dinner for the family at his new place.
@CoralLevang (40655)
How fun to celebrate with family! Enjoy!