Death Came Knocking

There is a huge difference between last year on this day, and today. Last year I was alone sitting in a place I did not know, did not know anyone and in a borrowed car I was not comfortable driving. Things happened so fast, Tony had a biopsy of his lung in late October, In a matter of a week I was rushing him to the E.R. because he could not breath, he passed out once on the way and was turning blue when I got there. He stayed a week got somewhat better and came home, a couple days later I had him back at an e.r. but not to the same hospital because the oncology team there are no good. Once again he was getting no air, within 24 hours he was on life support and was not expected to live, I stayed at the hospital and this is why Tony gave me his power of attorney. I was only to call his one sister and no one else if he got bad, this was bad so at 3 am I was calling to let her know. She drove in from Florida and we did shifts so I could drive almost an hour home to feed the dogs and the cat. On Thanksgiving day me and his sister had food the hospital made, it was food and that was it nothing special. But late that evening one of their cousins showed up with two plates of home cooked food. Every morning I was waiting for the doctor in Tony`s IUC room to see if there was any change, Dr. Yum yum told me I should go home, that wearing myself down was not helping him at all. What I did not know till 3 - 4 months later was that Tony was not expected to live, I was told people in his condition did not make it out of ICU. Death came knocking but I would not answer the door. Tony is 6 months cancer free (remission) and is back to his life of fishing and hunting. My message? Don`t answer the door if you dont want to. Have a wonderful day! I know I will.
I think that having someone who cares and fights for you gives people the strength to ignore the knock and decide to fight. You gave him that strength and it was what he needed. Well done you, I would be happy to have you on my side.
Thank you, I am a caregiver and whoever is in my care knows I am there to take care of them, but its was not me or the doctors, it was God, maybe we were the help in earth for him.
@andriaperry I am sure it was, God is always the way but he often has his instruments on earth at work for him.
@BelleStarr I agree
That would make a really good Thanksgiving movie for the Hallmark channel, they love stuff like this. So, who would you want to play you? Oh, Happy Thanksgiving.
Hmm... I would have to think, she would have to be a sexy blonde
But sexy to whom? Tony or JJ or someone else @andriaperry ? You know no 2 men find the same blonde sexy, right? Pleeeze, not P.A., K???
@rebelann Neither of those men I do not know who PA or K is.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You are one strong lady. I'm glad that your beloved is back to hunting and fishing. Have a good holiday tomorrow.
Thank you. Tony is my cousin. I hope you have a happyThanksgiving day.
@sallypup (27503)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@andriaperry Well then, may be he is your well loved cousin! Happy Thanksgiving day to you, too.
I'm so glad Tony is in remission. Have a wonderful day and Happy Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Valerie.
@andriaperry Thank you.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'm so glad he is doing so much better
Me too, I hate hospitals and doctor offices.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@andriaperry me too. What I had menigitis it was hell two weeks in the hospital was long enough.
thats areally grea essage to us all
Thank yyou. I think it is .
This Thanksgiving..I guess you really have something to be thankful for! You dodged a bullet for sure!
He did! I was just the look out.
I thought this story would have a really sad ending, and I'm so happy he's cancer free. That made me so happy to hear it. I hope you have a much nicer Thanksgiving this year. God bless you.
Aww, thank you so much! I am sure we will.
Such a long way to come in 12 months. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Ye I agree. Thank you.
No one knocks on my door ever thankfully
Mine either and I am glad too.
Well then this Thanksgiving you have a lot to be thankful for. No holiday for me but I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you and yes.
@FayeHazel (18475)
Wow. Thank you for sharing. I'm happy that Tony is in remission
Me too, I have put up with a lot of crap to get him to this point.
I am s glad that door was not answered!!!! Tony in remission is such a wonderful thing for which to be thankful. So glad Tony has you!!!
I have been told I have a balance of nice and botch and I can use both at the same time.
@Madshadi (8934)
• Brussels, Belgium
what a happy ending. Although they spent their entire lives studiying and researching, doctors have a lot to learn from their patients.
This is an amazing Doctor.
I was so worried there was going to be a sad ending so I was very happy reading that he is doing so much better.
Thank you, nope its all good.
@cherriefic (4708)
• Baguio, Philippines
Good thing you did not answer the door. Have a great day!
@Srbageldog (8650)
Wow, he certainly beat the odds! I guess when it's not your time, it's not your time.