Casserole Baking

By DB
Not long before cold weather becomes the norm for some of us around the world. For those in warm climates right now, enjoy the sun, but for the rest of us, we need to find something besides hot tea that is hardy and will satisfy our appetite. With that in mind my suggestion is to turn to casseroles. A casserole (French: diminutive of casse) is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word is also used for the food cooked and served in such a container, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. Casseroles are usually cooked slowly in the oven, often uncovered. They may be served as a main course or a side dish, and may be served in the container in which they were cooked. Some countries cook their casseroles similar to stews. When I think of a casserole dish my mind envisions a bubbling, crispy, creamy, and generally large and filling meal, baked in the oven until the ingredients come together in a delicious whole. They are a must during the cold winter months we experience in the Northeastern United States. They freeze incredibly well, a trait which, makes them the perfect make-ahead meal that can be stored in the freezer until needed. Do you enjoy casseroles? Which kind is your favorite? Thanks for the responses. Source information- Wikipedia and The Daily Meal Photo- delish.com
I am a writer, of recipes, yes for a book so I know and use many combinations. I have a chicken casserole I use more than not.
@Ganma7 (2074)
I love recipes and cook books. Have for 45 years. I read cook books like they are novels
I eat chicken so often why didn't I think of putting it in a casserole
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
I really like Mac and cheese casseroles , the one in the picture looks delish !
I agree !
@Dyvette16 (1361)
• San Antonio, Texas
@Erikm16 cool !
Nice cheesy mixture is a staple of a good casserole! Yes it looks delicious
I love casseroles. They are also great the next day as the flavours seem to blend even more.
@Ganma7 (2074)
I agree totally
Such a terrific leftover!
Technically, mac and cheese is a casserole.
Yep, it is! Hardy, filling and fattening it is an appetite pleaser...
@Raelove (15566)
• Saco, Maine
It sure is!
My mom used to make some wonderful casseroles. As a vegetarian, I do not make casseroles. I bet there is a veggie/noodle casserole I could try, but most likely will not.
Maybe combining items like green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach with noodles and cheese could produce a kind of casserole that would be acceptable. I did notice recipes using these staple items. If that fails you could always go Mexican casserole
My girlfriend makes a mean tuna casserole.
I believe the one in the photo is a tuna noodle casserole, but it might be mac and cheese. I have to check that photo and find out. Either way both excellent casseroles.
I grew up with these and hot dishes (is this the same thing?) But cant name any when Im on the spot. They are good. And i love cooking when its cold out!
Casseroles are pretty easy to create. If you like baking all you need is noodles, cheese and whatever items you want to put into your glassware to bake. And leftovers can be frozen a big plus!
@FayeHazel (11810)
In Minnesota we call it hotdish, and it's a food group :-)
All right! I like that a dish with something hot
@FayeHazel (11810)
@dgobucks226 Yum! I'm sort of craving the old standby tator tot hotdish
@FayeHazel That sounds enticing Faye! If I didn't have to drive so far you might have a visitor wanting to try some
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I do enjoy a casserole in winter, it is a warm and tasty meal. Right now I couldn't make a casserole without melting, so, enjoy some for me.
Well, your winter will come around again before you can say Pina Colada, lol. How are you today?
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dgobucks226 lol, with how times flies, that is true. I am okay, thanks. How are you?
@bluesa Doing very well got my car!
@sallypup (22023)
• Moses Lake, Washington
A casserole is almost a stir fry. I am a vegan/vegetarian. I continue to find ways to make one pot meals. I'm baking carrots in orange juice tonight. I wonder if that is kind of a casserole?
I believe it might be considered a stew. Most casseroles usually have some type of noodle as an ingredient.
@sallypup (22023)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@dgobucks226 I disagree with you on the noodle bit- respectfully, of course. I have had a tater tot casserole. A casserole is just a baked dish filled with whatever the cook puts in it.
@sallypup Duly noted!
I've never made one. Also, just wanted to point out that in the guidelines recipes are frowned upon.
Thanks for the heads up! Too bad it is fun to share ideas
Yeah it is and I think it's ok if you don't write it like a recipe @dgobucks226 many lotters talk about what they've eaten which is not the same as a recipe
l love casseroles as I can prepare them in advance.
A big plus with casseroles!
@Erikm16 (53)
Have not tried one before , need to soon it looks good
And easy to prepare. Mix your ingredients and bake!
@Raelove (15566)
• Saco, Maine
I love most casseroles, depending on what went into them. I consider them comfort foods. My absolute favorite is baked macaroni & cheese. Another favorite is shepherd's pie, and I make this quick version of beef stroganoff, using ground beef and cream of mushroom soup to mix with the noodles. Delish.
The definition of casserole as French casse (to break) is not correct, it comes from old Proven├žale cassa that means "pan. If you check a French dictionary it is very clear, but it was possibly wrongly translated, when they wanted to explain the term in English.