Self Promotion

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Bragging, humble-bragging, tooting one’s own horn…. Those are all things that make me a trifle uncomfortable. I see it on Facebook, I see it here and I have to wonder if our culture has come to a place where it is considered perfectly acceptable to brag about what we have accomplished, and what we feel we have done for the environment and humanity in general. Within the writing world, it’s not uncommon for an author to have to provide a bio written in the third person. Actors in our community theatre group are expected to do the same thing. I’ve noticed something, though, the more an individual toots their own horn the more difficult they are to work with. Of course, I must confess that there is a certain amount of hypocrisy involved in this post. After alll, aren’t I announcing how wonderful I am in choosing not to be self promoting. What are your thoughts on self promotion. Are you okay with it, or does it rub you the wrong way.
@1creekgirl (8745)
Great post, Joanne. I see that an awful lot also and I probably do some of it myself, especially when it comes to the grandkids. But you're right and the Bible is full of warnings against being too full of ourselves. Pride (the wrong kind) usually does come before a fall. Beautiful photo, is that near you?
The photo is my favourite maple tree. All of the red leaves blew off over the weekend, and the green ones are now yellow. It's still pretty, but not nearly as pretty as it was a couple of weeks ago when I took this photo.
@Dyvette16 (1354)
• San Antonio, Texas
To me there is nothing wrong with showing off your accomplishments , you are just happy with what you have done . You just have to keep in mind that there is always going to be someone watching from the sidelines that does not want to see you happy or accomplishing what you want . That’s where you have to learn that not everyone’s opinion matters and only focus on yourself and all the Positive energy your receiving rather than the negative
There is a difference between sharing your accomplishments and showing off. I strive to always do my best. Frequently my best isn't good enough, but there are times when I hit it out of the park. Unsolicited compliments are much more meaningful to me than those that I had to fish for.
@Dyvette16 (1354)
• San Antonio, Texas
@Platespinner yes I completely agree !
Oh, I do believe self-promotion is overdone these days. Humility has become a rare characteristic when it comes to humans.
Many people I know, longer seem to consider pride as anything but a virtue. I see it in myself, at times, and it makes me squirm.
@kobesbuddy (19480)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Tooting one's own horn, can reflect a hidden issue with low-self esteem. Most of the time, it's a person trying to exalt themselves, from being on the bottom of the barrel(through their own eyes.) My sister brags constantly, about her accomplishments in this world. In reality, she has done little to nothing at all, which she's quite aware of. She's trying to become a somebody, instead of just accepting herself for who she is.
@Dyvette16 (1354)
• San Antonio, Texas
Yes it is different when you justboost here and there and actually focusing on your life and goals rather than just telling and showing people to impress them
@kobesbuddy (19480)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Dyvette16 An ego-boost can go two ways, to impress others or to convince oneself.
I try to keep most my ego-boosting in my journal rather than out in public. I try to share a bit of my life here, but I want to be careful to NOT overshare.
@UncleJoe (8547)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I just wish I had something to toot a horn about. Come to think of it, I wish I had a horn.
Just out of curiousity...were you one of those over-the-road truckers that responded to children making the horn-pulling motion?
@UncleJoe (8547)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner Children aren't the only ones who make that motion, but, yes, I am guilty.
Hmmmmm, I've never given it a thought before but I guess you do have a point. Is posting my photos on my discussions a form of bragging?
I don't feel like your posts are bragging. I rather enjoy your photos. Besides which, you seem to be promoting your animal companions more than yourself.
Oh good @Platespinner dad always told us not to brag, he considered it arrogant.
• Riga, Latvia
There are times when you just gotta self-promote and other times when you shouldn't make yourself into a celebrity. I don't do much self-promotion but of course I had to do some on my blogs. I do not brag about myself though that is something I would never do I always feel I am no better than anyone else.
I do understand the need for self-promotion in certain areas, but for some people, it seems to be a lifestyle. They are experts in all fields, and if others would just follow their example the world would be a much better place.
That would depend on how it was done. The louder someone tries to 'sell' their worth, the less likely I am to 'buy' it.
That's my experience. The harder someone works to make me believe that they are really good at something, the more I disbelieve them. I'd much rather see that you are good at something for myself than listen to you tell me about how wonderful you are.
I'm wondering if you wrote this in response to a post on here. That post was suggested to me by MALUSE and I'd already read it and declined to comment, as I thought ir was boasting. It was a person implying how wonderful she had been to help someone else and change his life around. In other words "Look at me, aren't I kind and generous and an altogether fantastic person!"
I don't think I saw that specific discussion. But I have been seeing more and more "Aren't I a blessing to humanity" posts here and on other social media sites. In my experience, people who like to shout their own goodness from the rooftops, usually aren't nearly as good as they think they are.
@Platespinner That's it exactly - a really good person does their good deeds without expecting any recognition for them.
I love the color of those leaves. I am sure we are all guilty of self promotion, praising what we cooked, showing photos of things we own. The important is not to exaggerate.
Exaggeration is part of the problem but in some cases, me-me-me and aren't I wonderful seem to be the only topic they are capable of discussing.
@Platespinner I agree that me-me-me is extremely annoying.
@ilocosboy (33255)
When social networking sites were invented and so with the people doing this. Maybe these sites are made for this thing. Or maybe, they are just proud of their accomplishment and they just want their friends to know it.
I share some of my accomplishments online, but overall it feels a little too much like I'm fishing for compliments.
@ilocosboy (33255)
if these sites are serving like this and not to yell and curse anyone, social networking sites would have better clean and better
I do not like people that are constantly saying me me me. I have a hard time even saying I do something decent.
I think you've nailed it. The people who are constantly "me, me, me" drive me crazy. I can handle a little bit of self-promotion, but it seems that some people aren't capable of anything else.
@Platespinner I think Mrs J/Emmett, that they are too stuck on themselves and do not see anything else but them. I bet they look in the mirror everyday and say they are so beautiful.
@Srbageldog (5486)
I really struggle with this, as basically authors are expected to do their own marketing nowadays, and I feel weird promoting myself. It annoys me when I see others doing it.
It's a fine balance. I volunteer and I try to promote volunteerism because it's such an important part of how our society functions, but at the same time it makes me feel a bit like I'm giving myself a public pat on the back (shudder).
@Platespinner I think there's a right way and wrong way to self-promote. You're right, there is a fine balance. I think that as long as you're just promoting volunteerism and not carrying on about how wonderful and generous you are for volunteering (I know people who do this), then you're fine. I cringe when I see some of my friends publicly patting themselves on the back for every little good deed they do. Like I said, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.
@LoriAMoore (10002)
You mean not everyone thinks I'm all that plus a bag of chips?!
Maybe you are, but some people who think they are definitely are not!
I think it all depends on how it's done. There are a couple of ones on here who constantly brag about their family accomplishments and summer home, etc. That I consider not always necessary. It's nice to be proud of family, but when it comes off more as bragging instead of being proud, it's a big turn off.
There is one user that I stopped following and now choose to ignore because discussions and comments indicate that this person would consider me riff-raff in we ever met in person .
@cherriefic (4278)
• Baguio, Philippines
Self promotion is good if it is just the right amount. But most people I know brags a lot about themselves. It's irritating!
There are a few people I know who insist that their self-promotion is a necessary part of promoting their work. Unfortunately, the self-promotion isn't limited to their field of expertise but seems to extend to everything they are involved in.
@responsiveme (14414)
It rubs me the wrong way...I love your photo
Thanks! I love the changing leaves in the autumn and we have one maple tree that usually manages to put on a superlative display.
@dodoazo (11247)
Writers have diffirent styles of express their ideas or of developing their topics. We couldn't control them. We may learn from them or condemn them. We may appreciate their works and share to our friends. The decision lies in the readers. Unless there.is a rule to follow, mechanics of writing to be the standard of what or what not to write. We're free but we're subject to the guidelines here.
It's entirely possible to follow the rules but lose readers because of the self-centeredness of the discussions
And all this time I thought you enjoyed my discussions all about me... But I am blessed by God so when he shows out in my life, I yell it from the mountain tops.
You're like me. We are blessed because we are perfect ... or is it because we have Golden furbabies?
I notice this A LOT on Facebook some people seem to have to report every little good deed they do. I do things and don’t talk about it because doing something nice shouldn’t be for a pat on the back.
Sometimes I'll post about things that make me feel like I'm fishing for a pat on the back and that always makes me a bit uncomfortable. I try to balance out my bragging posts with the occasional "I am a complete idiot" post. In reality, I am probably an idiot more often than I am worthy of a pat on the back