MYLOTTERS, Choose The Wrong Topic And Your Post Will Bomb

Denmark
Everyone who's been on a writing site for some time knows the puzzling occurrence that posts for which the member has done a lot of research and into which they have poured their hearts and souls may attract only a number of readers - if any at all. On the other hand, a discussion written on the fly and in passing in order to reach the payout limit may be the great hit and lead to unexpected riches. The minds of the community members are fickle. Yet, there seems to be one constant, namely: book reviews bomb. The number of reads I get for my posts is usually a double digit. My record is 90 reads. The next most successful post has got 63 reads. Both deal with myLot, of course. I call posts dealing with the site proper "navel gazing". From what one can see when skimming through the lists this is the fave pastime of myLot members. My 11 book reviews have got 9.6 reads on average. Well. In contrast to some members who delete their posts after some weeks (WHY? I'll never understand it.) I've saved all my posts from all the sites I've been on over the seventeen years I've been online. All my old book reviews are long, some have between 1.500 to 2.000 words. The comments they've got show that people read them. I would be crazy to post them here (I could do it because the sites have all disappeared) for a community in which many members have the attention span of ephemera = one day flies. I would send them into a coma. I've just read a comment accusing the writer of the post that it was too long. It wasn't. So, what do I do? I take a hatchet and prune my book reviews. Have you ever tried to hack away 1.000 words and keep the information understandable? I find this as difficult as writing a new one. The last word of the paragraph above is ‘one‘. It‘s the 330th of the post. I hope I haven‘t tired you out too much.
I don't expect any type of 'review' to be any 'success' here, really. After all, regardless of what people seem to think, this isn't a 'writing' site. When it comes to books (and movies, and music, etc) I would never expect to get more than a handful of replies from people, and then only from people that were already interested in whatever I was talking about, specifically. People aren't coming here to read about items. They are coming here to shoot the bull, to talk about their day, to vent a bit, whatever. myLot has never been promoted (by the owners) as a 'writing' site. I learned long ago that any time I get 'deep' with a discussion, it is going to receive less attention than any piece of 'fluff' I throw out there. It is what it is. Most people are here for the fun...except those that think it is an 'earning site'...and they too find out it isn't really that, either. As myLot puts it "myLot is an enormous discussion board, blogging community, questions and answers hub, social network and online hangout". And nothing more than that.
Some of are here because there are few options to post our stuff and just take it on the chin the majority aren't interested. Reviews were never any good even on old content sites like AC and Helium.
@MALUSE Even after 11 years I have times I am totally flummoxed by this place. I'll write something I am almost positive will interest many people, and then sit and listen to the crickets chirping. Likewise, I'll toss something out there off the top of my head...sometimes something I think so stupid I might get a half dozen replies...and next morning I wake up on top of the Top Rated and have 50 replies on it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it most days.
• Denmark
@JolietJake I know this feeling very well.
I am still full of energy after reading this post!!! I have had to do a lot of altering of posts to ensure the posts are not too long. I am not even using paragraphs for many of them. I do a line-space-line type of of post since those that contain "real" paragraphs just don't do well here.
• Denmark
I haven't noticed that paragraphs don't do well here. I'll keep my eyes open and check this problem.
It used to be I had to worry about producing enough words for a piece and now it's about producing too many.
@MALUSE I taught struggling readers in middle school, and I did find that the more white space on a page, the easier the read would be for them. I would order Hi Interest / Low Reading Level Books (Hi-Lo Books) for my students, and those books had their fair share of white space. After reading Hi-LO books for a while, they would find them far too easy and move onto books appropriate for their grade level. I suppose a lot of white space makes for a quick and easy read.
@Madshadi (4784)
• Brussels, Belgium
I found that “dude that’s too long” comment very disturbing. If I am not attracted to a long post I would just leave it and not make unnecessary discouraging comments. Perhaps tagging users whom you know are interested in book reviews might help?
• Denmark
Yes, it was that "dude etc." comment. What an idiot. What do you mean by tagging? I can't suggest my own posts to other members, can I?
@Madshadi (4784)
• Brussels, Belgium
@MALUSE I think there was a way to tag users in your post. As I have been absent for a long time I’m not sure if that was for mylot or some other site I used. My apologies
@Madshadi You really are not supposed to tag users in a post unless you are mentioning them in the discussion
• Riga, Latvia
I am passionate about my writing. I write what I want and if no one likes it then so be it. I never consider if I will get readers or not but I always put my whole being into what I am writing about. I write on many sites and yes, like this site I also have to consider the amount of words and then I do rewrite some posts. I have four blogs and they all look like doctor health graphs with lines going up and down constantly depending how many are interested. I love it all and I just keep going. Sort of like the Energizer Bunny
• Denmark
Writing on more than one site confuses me. I tried writing on two sites some years ago but didn't enjoy it. You even write on many sites! How can you keep the overview?
• Riga, Latvia
@MALUSE I have learned to organize and save all my works and keep notebooks of what I post and when and on what site. I also have several emails all divided up with mail from different places and all of my blogs are theme blogs so I manage to keep up.
• Denmark
@RasmaSandra That's admirable.
@m_audrey6788 (11525)
I got the chance to read a few of your posts and participates which I found it interesting to read as it gives all the informations I needed to know about the topic which I admires most with writers
• Denmark
Thanks for the comment!
I find it really strange too how articles I'm excited about fall by the wayside and others about next to nothing seem to develop a momentum of their own and take off. My discussion about aprons - APRONS of all things - got 75 responses. It's just crazy sometimes.
@akalinus (12445)
When I write in hopes of being paid, I think of the readers and what they want to see. I would not do a serious piece of scholarly work here. I do approach serious subjects but try to present them with new and interesting angles
You echo my sentiments quite a bit. The few book reviews I have posted have received little attraction and I knew that going in. I follow a course of writing what I feel like or interests me rather than trying to figure out what is going to be a "hit." I learned that lesson many years and sites ago. Like you, I have a backlog of articles and reviews from previous defunct sites and know it would be folly to post them here. Plus I have all my articles that appeared in print from pre-online days. I guess I hope a new article (content) site will appear where you post and the articles can keep earning and earning based on views but that seems to be wishful thinking at this point. The first time somebody complained about the length of an article took me aback. It wasn't all that long in my opinion. The content sites that I used to be on all had minimum word requirements usually starting at 500.
• Denmark
Thanks for the comment. So we're already two . . .
@dodoazo (11257)
I do agree with @JolietJake that myLot is not the appropriate site for a book review especially when that lengthy write-ups are all posted. I background, a synopsis probably will do. To admit or not to admit, most myLot users just read the title of articles, read a little or skim the entire post and there they give their comment. This is only our reaction. Nobody would stop you if you're going to post your book review here or whatever. Go ahead you're free.
@sjvg1976 (14598)
Oh .....Yes it took me 2 minutes to read your post I am not a writer actually so I don't care for the views I get in my posts.
@tzwrites (3807)
I guess people are just not interested in reading, or book reviews. Posts about lunch and food seem to do well.
• Denmark
"What I had for breakfast" is always a sure hit! :-)
@pgntwo (21733)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Life's too short to be serious all the time. If you can pick a topic, have fun writing (a little!) about it, and bring a smile or two to anyone who encounters it, well - your job on a site such as this is done. Interesting point of view, 330+ words or not
@Asylum (47287)
• Manchester, England
This has long been a factor on many sites. The obvious reason is that posts about basic topics are much easier to respond to than those of a more complex nature.
@digiguru (423)
• Bangalore, India
This is a great information for all new to mylot
• Denmark
Thank you.
@digiguru (423)
• Bangalore, India
@MALUSE welcome sir. ..
• Denmark
@digiguru I'm not a sir. I'm a woman. If you know nothing about a member, it's better not to address them.
Haha you are right. Often the most simple discussions are the most popular. I do some book reviews and I only attract a small number of responses for them also. I have found that MyLot related discussions seem to do the best , I guess since its something we all can relate to. I agree it is frustrating when people do not.read your discussion in its entirety.
Since I have had my own blogs, now attempting to make my own money, I have learned the same thing. While something known more than another food, it flopped. But I wrote about pork and rice and bam! 300 views. A strange world we live in.
@Platespinner (18538)
I haven't been around a lot and as a result, have missed quite a few of your book reviews. I've enjoyed the ones I have read. In all honesty, I don't care much for the navel-gazing posts. I don't usually bother with blather about MyLot, and I also tend to skip the posts by people who like to give a blow-by-blow account of what they have been doing since the last time they posted.
I just write. If people read it, good. If they don't, never mind. It is strange how some posts do well and others not so well.
@nanette64 (13821)
• Fairfield, Texas
That just lets you know how many 'book-readers' there actually are here @MALUSE . I know I feel the same way about some of the 'informational' posts that I do. Sometimes I think, "Why bother!"
• Denmark
I know this feeling. A break of some days is advisable in such a case.
I agree with @JolietJake about the fact that myLot is not a writing site, this is a "discussion" site, it's different. Most members dislike long posts, they are here to have fun and to interact without too much thinking and spending very little time. I have also saved everything I posted online, even for defunct sites. I never understood why people delete their posts, but I can imagine that the "recycle" the same content on different sites.