What do you mean you're "bored"?

Malaysia
I seem to have a hard time understanding people who often say they're bored and don't have anything to do. Maybe it's just the different ways people deal with boredom, I don't know. I see free time as the time for me to do something I enjoy doing. Something that's not work, something that I don't consider a chore. But something, nonetheless. (There's always myLot, of course. ) So how can someone not have anything to do?? Do you get bored easily? How do you deal with boredom?
I don't understand that either. I can always find something to do. Then again my parents have always taught me to entertain myself so I don't need anyone or anything to entertain me. =)
@bunnybon7 (33054)
• Holiday, Florida
there you go. and you are mature. that is why too
I like that attitude! That's so true, I don't see why we should always depend on others to keep us entertained. I experienced living alone for a few years and never had problems finding something to do to keep me happily occupied.
@cahaya1983 When i was a kid if we said we are bored and my parents heard they would make us clean. So we always made sure to stay busy doing something. Lol. Now I do the same thing with my own children. If I hear them say they are bored I tell them oh okay, I have plenty of cleaning so you wont be bored anymore. Lol.
You know how easy that is simple as pie. Cleaning brings me joy. But I was so bored the other day because I had nothing to clean. You know what I did. I soaked the mop and mopped my house over. I did little things like fluff pillows. I want something like washing laundry and had nothing to wash either.
I love to do laundry. i do it once a week at least. I do it sometimes twice a week. That is great you like to clean so much as it means you have a clean home. I don't usually clean and have a cleaning service come in every other week.
That's great, your place must be spotless if you love cleaning that much!
@Marty1 Laundry isn't at the top of my list of favorite things to do, but like you I always try to settle it because I hate seeing dirty clothes piling up in the basket.
I never get bored, I always find a way to keep busy and there are so many things I like to do.
That's good to know. I can't imagine not having anything to do while I'm awake.
@kiran8 (15216)
• Mangalore, India
I am never bored ever ! There is always something to do inside and outside the house. Also , most days I don't get enough sleep so always ready to take a short nap if I find the time
Yes there's always napping too! Actually quick power naps during the day have always helped me, even if I did get enough sleep the night before.
@kiran8 (15216)
• Mangalore, India
@cahaya1983 Same here , even a few minutes are enough to perk you up .
@YrNemo (8519)
I often got bored in meetings and some lectures. Gee, some people like to talk and talk and talk (about something which has nothing to do with me or my work, but we the workers often had to sit there, pretend to listen!).
That's one legit reason for boredom, I guess. Meetings are never fun especially if they're too long!
@YrNemo (8519)
@cahaya1983 You were lucky you were not there. Once the speaker was someone who never did science subject and we doubted if she knew anything about electricity. Yet, she gave us a talk about electricity (God related stuff). For that talk, I managed to sketch successfully 3 flies in various positions of flying, parking, and whatever else! (No need to tell you that the lady knew very well what I was doing. I had always been her number one enemy but she was my boss, so there! )
@YrNemo Too funny! But that's kind of like a productive kind of boredom you know. Drawing all those flies in all sorts of positions.
I have so many things I love to do at home and some outside the home that I honestly don't usually have time to be bored! i do spend about half my week with scheduled activities and the other half with things to do on my own which i love. Then there is taking care of my kitty cat that I adore and am thrilled that he let me adopt him!
That's awesome, you have a lot of things to keep you occupied then! I'm sure you'd never get bored with a cute cat at home. Sometimes I think people who complain that they're bored just haven't found something that they truly enjoy doing.
@cahaya1983 I have too much to keep me busy at home! My kitty keeps me busy for sure as he is always into something!!! i also do a lot of reading, plus am always looking up recipes to try that I have to copy ones i am interested in making!
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
Gosh! Boredom is not in my dictionary I always think of something fun to do just to enjoy my day even if I`m stuck at home alone Mylot seems to be my savior
High five! I'm a homebody so I wouldn't mind being stuck at home the whole day if it's raining outside or any other reason. I have plenty of unread books on my shelf to help me spend the time.
@cahaya1983 Oh yes!
Same here my friend, no reason to be bored, there is always something to do.
I agree. Almost impossible for me to get bored.
@thelme55 (11806)
I don't feel bored as I have a lot of things to do. House chores, reading, writing, mylotting, baking....etc.
Good to know. House chores is my least favorite but still, it counts as something to do too!
@peachpurple (11034)
I am never bored, no time to be bored, nothing to be bored about, my hands are always full and busy
Same here. I would feel strange if I complain about having nothing to do at home.
@peachpurple (11034)
@cahaya1983 so many chores to do, how to become bored???
@peachpurple Exactly my thoughts!
I am never bored (or almost never), so much stuff that one can do in this wonderful life of ours.
That's true, there's always something new to try even if we're tired of doing the same things.
Oh my, I don't ever feel that way. In fact, I have a lot of things I want to do in a day after my office time but can't do. So much so, that I have to sleep late at night to watch online my missed tv soap aired while I am at the office and playing a bit of my favorite mobile game, while I lie in bed. However, hubby would always show me what he is seeing at YouTube, I can't refuse because it is a chance for us to bond actually. Besides, they are funny videos that make us laugh at loud .
I used to feel like that when I had my 9 to 5 job. And sometimes it was so frustrating because I wanted to do a lot of things after work but I was always too tired to do anything besides dinner and sleep.
@cahaya1983 I agree. The most that I can do is watch with my hubby on his phone, when he watches funny posts of his friends on FB. We also watch a Filipino having a duet with famous artist like one time with Michael Learn to Rock. Very nice.
@SIMPLYD It's nice that you get to spend quality time with your husband.
@shubhu3 (13572)
• New Delhi, India
I write, sing, paint.
What do you write and sing and paint?
@shubhu3 (13572)
• New Delhi, India
@cahaya1983 I write blogs, articles. I sing English and hindi songs. I paint I will show you one. See this. You will have an idea.
The last night I wasn't able to sleep so thought of painting around 2am in the morning. I did this. It has some mistakes like in making smooth layers of colours...
@shubhu3 You're very talented. Thanks for sharing!
@ridingbet (37924)
sometimes i get bored listening to a conversation especially if it is a one-sided communication. but i am never bored with my work.
I know what you mean. It's easy to lose interest in a conversation that we can't relate to.
@ridingbet (37924)
@cahaya1983 indeed, especially if the person you converse with always talks about his success, love life, or bashing somebody. that is not my cup of tea.
@ridingbet That's true, I would probably excuse myself before I explode out of boredom.
@Bluedoll (16823)
I don't like boredom and so avoid it like the plague. Not having anything to do or doing something is not the same as boredom?
Well I guess they're kind of related, because you feel bored when you don't have anything to do, right? The thing is I don't understand why it's possible to feel bored because for me my time is occupied with either something I need or want to do.
@Bluedoll (16823)
@cahaya1983 oh sorry I didn't understand what you meant. I thought you were bored. I think people in general can sometimes feel boredom from doing mundane tasks.
@Bluedoll No worries Yeah I think it's understandable when people get bored of doing routine stuff, but not when they say it's because they have nothing to do.
I have so much to do online and offline that I am never bored.
Internet is a good reason not to be bored for sure. But even without it I still think there are many things to do.
@cahaya1983 Ther is always cooking and cleaning and going swimming and for two walks every day.
@jstory07 Oh so nice you can go for two walks every day, I don't go that often.
@sjvg1976 (14592)
For me boredom means when I don't have anything to do it I have to do things in which I am not interested.
How often does that happen to you, though?
@sjvg1976 (14592)
@cahaya1983 not much but I have got bored of daily routine works at office.
@sjvg1976 Oh okay so it's boredom because of doing the same things. I think that's more acceptable to me than not having things to do.
@dpk262006 (54713)
I do not feel bore, even if I am alone. I could talk to someone on phone, read a book of my choice, listen to some music, watch a TV programme/news, could be on mylot or could go to market.......there are so many activities which could keep me busy.
Exactly! I sometimes wish I have more time to do things so I don't get how some people can get bored too easily.
@dpk262006 (54713)
@cahaya1983 Yes, time is short arm is long, so goes the saying. I also feel that I need more time to read and do other activities.
@ilocosboy (33267)
I want to get busy when I feel bored, I want to run or doing chores in or out of the house. I want my body to be working to fight boring day.
That's great, I feel like that too. I just can't let myself feel bored knowing there are so many things I need/want to do.
I remember one time that I spent hours and hours over here making long comments to every post. But now a days it takes an hour to even respond to those who respond to my post.
So you feel bored for doing the same thing repeatedly?