Wanna make someone mad? 'Native Americans' are not native to America.

By JJ
They are actually Asians. They are no more (or less) native to 'America' (in the broadest sense of the term) than I am. They migrated to America across the Beringia land bridge more than 15,000 years ago. So yes...they were here first. But I, too, am a native American. I was born here. And you can say my forebears migrated here as well. Sure, they call it 'immigration' these days...but it technically is one and the same. Yes, history says the 'white man' raped and murdered and looted 'the Indians'...but none of those were MY specific ancestors, to my knowledge. And not saying it was 'right' by any means...but that has gone on since time began. And it was not always the 'white man'. There have always been invaders/conquerors and usually whomever was already living somewhere got the 'short end of the stick'. Hell, it still happens. But don't try to hold up history and blame it on ME. All except a very select few have wound up with the 'short end' in one way or another. History is history. The history books usually are written by the 'winners' (however you want to take that word). Yes, correcting history books to tell the truth is good. But blaming people NOW for what happened THEN? Get over yourselves. It wasn't (and isn't) my fault. (Just a general rant, not intended towards any specific person...or race)
@topffer (30617)
• France
I will join you on this point. I am annoyed by the way History is interpreted by a few people today without any historical perspective, but only for political ends. To add a bit of fun to this story of migrations, I read today on a French newspaper that Frederick Trump was probably a climatic migrant.
I'm still waiting for Canadians to get mad for me calling them Americans in my earlier discussion. I'm trying to tick off everyone today.
@topffer (30617)
• France
@JolietJake It was the hidden goal of this discussion?
@topffer My 'counting game' discussion...I mention that technically everyone from Canada to Chile is an 'American'.
@BarBaraPrz (17547)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Whatever. Shut up and enjoy your turkey.
It's not done yet.
@BarBaraPrz (17547)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JolietJake I bet that wouln't stop Scar.
Thank you. You spoke what many of us think.
Every once in a while I get to where I've heard a bit too much. When we allegedly are supposed to be trying to live and love together, it seems some try to divide us more by bringing up things that can't be changed...sure, don't want them happening again, but a person also has to accept the past for what it is...the past.
@JolietJake Very well said
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake And the past is over, done with, it's completely gone!
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
Oh who made you mad like this?
No one in particular, and I am not mad, just stating a point.
@JolietJake Whew! I thought you`re mad I`m a little confused before but thanks for clearing that to me
• Calgary, Alberta
feminist social justice warriors who hates cisgender white males?
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
People actually have to trace their roots, to find out where their relatives migrated from! I think going back 100 years is silly. The only life I've ever known, happened within the past 66 years! Did my maternal grandpa speak German? So what!
@vandana7 (57495)
Going back even 10 years is silly...because present is lost.
@kobesbuddy (19709)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@vandana7 Living in the past is so dumb! It's today we're suppose to be taking care of:)
Hey, I am Asian born in America . . . ohhhhh, am I native American?
Probably...but everyone from Canada to Chile was born on the American continent
Glad you got all that off your chest!! Now you can enjoy your turkey!!
@vandana7 (57495)
Hey...that came from Turkey...patent rights violations.
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm with you on this. My Grandma was the daughter of a German immigrant. She had no choice; she needed a job so she worked as a maid for rich folks. But no one gripes for her. Its just what was.
I could b*tch and moan about all the injustices I have gotten over the years...or I can accept them and carry on living for the now...it ain't rocket science, but sometimes people don't seem to 'get' it.
Yep, you got all that right. I'd forgotten what they called that strip of land that prehistoric man traveled to get here. Did you know that one French artist was shocked to find a tribe of blond haired blue eyed Indians? They were one of the first tribes to be wiped out by the diseases brought over here.
@dodoazo (11255)
You're right. Your point of virw has sense.
@peachpurple (11020)
wow, I didn't know that they were Asians.... So are their skin color white or brown?
• Calgary, Alberta
The same reasons Southeast Asians are tan.
They aren't 'white' (but then 'white' people aren't really colored white).
@Genipher (5242)
@JolietJake I think I'm more like one giant freckle with red hair. Not much "white" on my skin...
@LilyBeBack (1679)
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
@vandana7 (57495)
Oh...you mean to say once again Asians will return, and Americans who have roots in Europe will return to Europe? Strange thought...all quotations are valid in right context, and invalid in wrong context.
@vandana7 Precisely right about context, I thought I'd posted this as a comment under one of the other responses
True, but there is a big difference between remembering it and harping on about it
@Srbageldog (5487)
I completely agree with everything you said here. Thank you for pointing out that the Native Americans also migrated from another continent -- people seem to forget (or deny) that fact!
It seems there is a certain segment that pushes the agenda during certain holidays.
@JolietJake So I've noticed. Frankly I'm sick of it.
So many to blame; so little time.
@vandana7 (57495)
How many are wise to figure that out.
@vandana7 Alas, not many.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hmm. I learned it was 11,000 or 12,000 years ago. But what's a few centuries between friends?
@vandana7 (57495)
Good reason for you all to remember Asians discovered America...not Christopher Columbus..Evil Grin.
Opinions Opinions. I think this could stop some from saying they were slaves, what about my people? Those American Indians?
What about them? They got treated like crap. No one alive now was alive back when. I still get treated like crap. Everyone gets treated like crap. Columbus was bad. Trump bites. Life goes on.
• Riga, Latvia
People are just too full of themselves. I could say what I said for some crazy reason when I still lived in the states I loved to go our to party and then declared I was a queen and royalty. Yeah right. I just thought of something what do you suppose would happen on the day I finally returned to my homeland the US and declared that I was the Queen of America making my return
I would bow, Your Highness
• Marion, Kansas
I am not sure what term I like. I tend to tell people I am "tribal", which I am. However, on St. Patrick's Day, I am Irish. Many other days have my racial loyalty as well. Just be thankful you are here.
So, this is how upset you are when your turkey isn't done? Better watch out for scar because he's probably on to it as well.
Well-spoken/written. Sometimes I think Australia is being held to ransom by similar ideas. Nothing is ever going to change what happened.