What did you have for Thanksgiving dinner?

Pleasant Hill, California
I heard on the news today that the Pork People were trying to market ham as an alternative to turkey for Thanksgiving, but that it only kindo sorta caught on. I went to two Thanksgiving dinners today, one at Noon and one at 5 PM, and turkey was served at both. Needless to say, I'm kind of sleepy and immobile right now. The most salient thing today was the yummy multi-vegetable dish served at the Noon dinner. It went great with the stuffing and gravy, and the turkey was really juicy. Do you know about how tryptophan is in turkey, and tryptophan is converted by the body into serotonin and melatonin, the latter of which helps us sleep? The picture is a decoy. It's what I had last night.
No Thanksgiving and no turkey here, we had smoked ham and sauerkraut for dinner.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Still sounds quite good!
@TheHorse It was pretty good, this evening roasted chicken and potatoes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Chicken and potatoes sounds even better!
Maybe that's why I feel so sleepy right now.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you eat a lot of turkey?
@TheHorse I made an effort not to overindulge. I ate more potato salad and rolls than turkey thus more turkey for sandwiches!
@sallypup (21746)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We had zero meat today. We stuffed a big squash with corn bread batter. Very tasty. (Photo of the table and squash in my post.) I did buy a little tube of liverwurst for the critters, though. Us humans did very nicely without meat.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Your fur friends live well!
@sallypup (21746)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheHorse They're family. Cant let the fur buddies go without.
You'd have to eat the whole turkey to get enough tryptophan for it to actually have any impact on you.
@TheHorse I've read it in various places over the year. It isn't the turkey.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@NJChicaa I've always wondered how long it takes for tryptophan to be converted into serotonin and melatonin. That information is probably out there to be had.
@TheHorse has to take longer than the half hour or hour after dinner when people get tired. The turkey isn't even digested yet!
We had ham and turkey at my cousin's house and she gave us lots to bring home. Enough for a whole meal tomorrow.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I brought some home too!
Yes, I know all about the tryptophan. Been cooking the meal for many years with all of the fixings. Now I don't cook. Nice to have it done for me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some think that the carbs contribute as much to sleepiness as the turkey. I've never done research in that area, so I don't know.
@TheHorse .....I'm sure they help.
• Riga, Latvia
Now you tell me that turkey can help us sleep and the turkeys here in Latvia are tough and dry and I only tried turkey once. So it is just as well that we don't have Thanksgiving but more and more stores are selling ground and turkey fillets. Perhaps I will have to take another look at turkey. What makes me see red is that as much as we don't have Thanksgiving what we do have is Black Friday and I refuse to go to the stores. I will see what deal they might have online today though.
@Fleura (6159)
Plenty of other foods also contain as much tryptophan or even more
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid needed for general growth and development, producing niacin, and creating serotonin in the body. High tryptophan foods include nuts, seeds, tofu, cheese, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, oats, beans, lentils, and eggs.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I also refuse to go to stores on Black Friday. Often, it's a hiking day for me. If I get enough papers graded, I may go cycling at Inspiration Point later.
Being an indecisive tribe, we had both ham and turkey at the family shindig last night.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I would have eaten some of both.
I hope ham never catches on as a substitute, but that's because I don't like it. I know a lot of people who love it and wouldn't mind the change.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd prefer ham with my eggs and toast in the morning.
@Deepizzaguy (7580)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Ham with rice and red kidney beans. The turkey will come at a later time when the prices go down in the stores.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Aha! I hadn't thought of that. Intro to Econ. Demand goes up. Price goes up.
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@TheHorse That is true since it is tough to buy turkeys on a small budget.
@Daelii (2023)
my husband cooked the turkey and I did the ham. a ton of mixed sides and deserts, :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds delicious! Did people get sleepy later on?
@Fleura (6159)
I did know about the tryptophan, but it isn't very believable, many other foods and especially other meats contain just as much. The sleepy feeling after a big Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner is more likely to be simply due to over-indulging in a huge meal. Have a look here: Obviously we don't have Thanksgiving over here but at Christmas, where turkey is also the current 'tradition' we have, at different times, also had beef, duck, chicken, venison and goose (the traditional meal before turkeys were 'discovered')
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think most or all dairy foods contain tryptophan.
@m_audrey6788 (11601)
I love that Food on your photo!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thank you! I enjoy a good steak now and then.
We had chicken.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you have any traditional Thanksgiving side dishes, like stuffing or cranberries?
@TheHorse - We did have stuffing. And green beans.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@teamfreak16 Ah, I am relieved. For a moment, I thought you were a Russian spy.
@Erikm16 (53)
We had Tamales and ham only no turkey at my house hold we are Mexican lol
@peachpurple (10922)
I have not had ham for years. Chicken is the substitute for it
I just get sleepy because my blood sugar is near coma level, I prefer bird over pig.