Not Quite a Turkey, But Delicious All The Same

@moffittjc (35662)
Gainesville, Florida
After eating turkey all week at various potluck luncheons at work, I was not really looking forward to the Big Turkey Day on Thursday. Quite frankly, I was all turkeyed out! My ex-wife and I, along with her husband and my girlfriend, decided to get together and do one big Thanksgiving celebration instead of doing two separate ones at each of our houses. That way, we saved the kids from having to go to different meals. Luckily, we both live pretty close by to each other. We got to talking beforehand about what food to serve, as the ex and I were planning the shopping menu. Reluctantly, we were going to cook a turkey (I was going to deep-fry one), but she called me excitedly from the grocery store on Wednesday. She asked me if, instead of cooking a turkey, would I be interested in cooking a goose instead. I immediately told her to go for it, and that I was all for that plan! One, it would save me from a fourth day of eating turkey, and two, I've never had goose before! So, although it was not a turkey, we still ate fowl for Thanksgiving dinner, and I have to admit the goose was absolutely delicious! Especially covered in plum sauce! Did anyone else here in the US (or anyone else worldwide that celebrates Thanksgiving) make an alternative main course to turkey? I'd be curious to know what others made besides turkey!
Three turkey days sounds just about enough. That was a good idea to cook a goose.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I can't believe I ate so much turkey leading up to the holiday! Thankfully, it's a lean meat, or I probably would have gained a lot of weight!
I am not a fun of turkey and, even we should celebrate Thanksgiving, I would surely prepare something different. I would like a lot better a chicken than a turkey.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Although I do enjoy turkey, it's not a meat that I eat on a frequent basis. I much prefer chicken over turkey.
@moffittjc Chicken is a lot better, turkey is not tender and it's too dry.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck Turkey is very tender and juicy if you deep-fry it! (but then it's not as healthy since you cooked it in peanut oil). But I agree, I much prefer chicken over turkey!
@moffittjc Well @Susan2015 and I have Chicken every year. Sometimes we've had Cornish hens and this year we continued with the chicken. We cook it much like you would a Turkey. Over the years I've had Ham, Venison and other meats at times.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've had Cornish hens before, but never at Thanksgiving. But, if I'm ever cooking for a smaller crowd, a Cornish hen would be about the right size to feed just a couple of people.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Berniezeitler - chicken and Cornish hens are excellent substitutes for turkey. We have done that in the past.
Oh, I would have loved to try goose! That would have been fun. I had chicken, and it was good. That was so thoughtful of you guys to celebrate Thanksgiving together for your kids.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
So even though neither of us had turkey for Thanksgiving, we both still had fowl to eat! haha
@franxav (3728)
I too wonder why it has to be turkey. Could beef, pork, sheep or chicken take its place? I live on the other side of the globe so I wonder if turkey has a ceremonial significance.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving meat dish, dating back to when Europeans were first settling in North America. I'm sure that venison (deer meat) and maybe chicken were also served in those early days, but for some reason turkey just stuck as the meat of choice for the holiday. Sheep is not a popular meet choice here in the United States, and people eat beef, pork and chicken all year long, so maybe that's another reason turkey is a popular choice.
@bluesa (12710)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
First of all, it is great you and your ex get along so well, and it is great you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy the day with her and her hubby. @moffittjc , I have never eaten goose, we usually go for lamb, beef roast or chicken.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
It has been a long, long time since I've last eaten lamb! Now you've got me craving some!
@kobesbuddy (19515)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc Is that mutton?
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy It's kind of the same thing, but there is a little difference. Lamb is from a sheep that is 1-year old or younger, while mutton is from sheep that are older than 1-year, most often around 3 years old. Most sheep meet consumed in the US is lamb and not mutton.
We did not have turkey here either. Lol No one in our home eats it so we made home made burgers with rice and mac n cheese. It was delicious as well. =) I'm glad you enjoyed the goose and didn't have to eat turkey again!
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
After all the turkey I had eaten leading up to Thanksgiving, homemade burgers would have been just the perfect thing to eat on the actually holiday! I love burgers, especially when they're homemade!
@moffittjc Yeah, my husband is such a good cook and they were delicious! =)
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies You are lucky to have a guy who is such a good cook!
Wow, goose..that was adventurous! I have looked at them in the store before..they always cost significantly more than turkey so I haven't purchased one. I am curious to try a turducken though. I have made duck once or twice, but not on Thanksgiving!
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have always been curious to try turducken as well. I'm pretty adventuresome when it comes to food. I'll try just about anything once!
@FayeHazel (11583)
Nope, turkey here. I would have preferred turkey roll, no joke. It's cool that your ex gets along that well
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Faye, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Did you do any Black Friday shopping?
I do have a turkey roll i think in my freezer!
@FayeHazel (11583)
@moffittjc Thanks! It was very nice. Ah, no - I stayed in on Friday. Do you do Black Friday?
• Pamplona, Spain
Never tried Goose before but glad that you enjoyed it and with plum sauce yum. I don´t eat much meat really at the moment but we do eat other things like Cheesecake yum and another yum.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Cheesecake sounds delicious! I love eating cheesecake!
• Pamplona, Spain
@moffittjc I nearly picked one up today but I was too far from home so I have put it off for the next time.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lovinangelsinstead21 We keep talking about all this cheesecake, I'll have to go out and buy several of them! haha
I've never had goose before, but I would try it. I constantly see people fighting their ex's and causing stress for their children, so I think it's wonderful that you can make your children's life easier by getting along so well with your ex.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, my ex and I are best friends! And her husband is a really awesome guy too, so it works out well for everyone!
• Denmark
What with the many alligators in your state the question arises if alligator meat is eaten at all?
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, alligator tail is a popular meat, but not for a main course. It is mostly eaten as an appetizer.
• Denmark
@moffittjc Why? The tails must be enormous and enough for the main course. Tell us, please, how alligator tail is prepared.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@MALUSE I'm not sure why alligator tail is not eaten as a main course meat. Maybe it's expensive? Or maybe it's just too exotic for the majority of people to like? I'm not sure. Usually when it's prepared as an appetizer it is cut up into small pieces like chicken nuggets. The only way I have ever eaten it is fried, but I'm sure it can be cooked other ways as well.
I like how you and your ex-wife is very civil And having goose instead of turkey is quite interesting. I've never tried goose, I don't think, how was it prepared?
@moffittjc Very interesting . Could you tell the difference that it was goose?
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Well, I've never had goose before, but yes, I could tell the difference. One, it was very fatty meat, which I totally didn't expect, and two, it almost looked more like beef than it did fowl.
@moffittjc Oh I see. I don't think I've tried goose... I'll have to ask my mom. :)
Its awesome you two get along. day 2 and I now hate turkey. I would love to try goose.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not a big fan of turkey, so it's not something I usually eat outside of the holiday. My daughter loves turkey, so I do buy turkey lunch meat to make her sandwiches for school.
@moffittjc Turkey lunch meat? That is nasty but hey if she likes it .......
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@andriaperry I get Boars Head out of the deli at the grocery store. I have them slice it up into thick slices. My daughter loves Boars Head.
@Dyvette16 (1382)
• San Antonio, Texas
That is interesting but I would of been tired of turkey too eating it all week , we just had turkey on thanksgiving
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, I certainly can get tired of turkey very quickly. I appreciate that it is a healthy meat to eat, but I would much prefer chicken or beef as my meats of choice.
@Dyvette16 (1382)
• San Antonio, Texas
@moffittjc yes I as well , chicken
@moffittjc me too
We mostly just have a small chicken. I don't think I would like goose.
@moffittjc I have never made a turkey, do the legs and thighs cook at different times as the goose does?
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 A turkey is much easier to cook than goose. Turkey cooks a lot more evenly than goose does.
@moffittjc oh i never cooked either, I don't plan on trying turkey because i didn't want have to take out things like giblets and neck. that is how a turkey is prepared isn't it?
@Srbageldog (5419)
I have never tried goose! We just had turkey...and I get to have turkey again tomorrow, as I celebrate a second Thanksgiving with my parents. I'm already feeling turkeyed out.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I actually like turkey better as leftovers than I do when it is served originally at Thanksgiving. Usually the next couple of days after the holiday are my favorite because I get to make awesome turkey sandwiches with the leftovers! Which is interesting, because throughout the rest of the year I'm not a huge fan of turkey!
@moffittjc I was just telling someone that I like leftover turkey sandwiches better than eating turkey on Thanksgiving! It does taste better as leftovers.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Srbageldog Definitely better as leftovers! Especially when making leftover sandwiches out of the meat!
@bunnybon7 (33048)
• Holiday, Florida
not yet made ours. but that sounds wonderful. so way back style. I think our ancestors had goose and plum sauce for celebrations quite often from what I have read.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was actually surprised that I was able to find plum sauce at the store! When I read the recipe, I was thinking to myself that I was never going to find the sauce because it is so uncommon these days. But nope, the store had plenty of it, so I guess it's more popular than I thought! haha
@bunnybon7 (33048)
• Holiday, Florida
@moffittjc sounds so good
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bunnybon7 It was really, really good!
Nope, turkey and turkey only in our house.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yay turkey! lol
@moffittjc yes it was really good. We'll be making another in the next week.
• Rochester, New York
Nope just a big ole turkey with lots of fixings. I'm glad you were able to eat something other than turkey. I think I would get tired of eating it after 2 days in a row.
@moffittjc (35662)
• Gainesville, Florida
The only way I wouldn't get tired of eating turkey more than a few days in a row is if it was deep-fried. I absolutely love deep-fried turkey and could eat it for a week solid!