Tagging people in comments

Staten Island, New York
When I go to discussions on MyLot (mine or other people's) I like to tag people when I reply to their responses and comments. I am not sure if that has any benefit or not. I just like doing it. Do you tag people in comments or responses? Is there an advantage to doing so? I noticed that sometimes when I hit the 'comment' button underneath a person's comment that person's username appears in the text box. Other times it doesn't and I have to do a copy and paste to insert it in there. Anyone experience this or have any clues as to why it's happening?
I like when it automatically appears, but I have tagged a few people in responses during my time here.
• Staten Island, New York
I like it when it's there automatically as well. Saves time. And I don't have to think about whether the tag is there or not. But because it doesn't always appear (I'd like to know why that is) I have to worry about whether it's there or not.
Comments appear in 'tiers' here. If you respond directly to the author (more properly a response) there is naturally no username, If you reply to the responder (let's call her/her Jo) there is no username (second tier). But if Bill comments to Jo (third tier), then Jo's username will appear at the beginning of Bill's comment. A bit hard to explain but I hope this helps.
@sprite1950 (12824)
• Corsham, England
@JudyEv Yes kind of but does that mean if the name is not in the comment box then we don't need to put one as it will be obvious who it is for? That's the bit I'm not sure of. I never put a name if a write a first response.
• Staten Island, New York
@sprite1950 If you are replying to someone's response you don't need to tag the person. They will know it is for them. However, if many people are communicating in a response thread than you should tag the person so that person knows your reply is for them. Kinda what I did now.
@sprite1950 (12824)
• Corsham, England
@lovebuglena Thanks, that's clear now
@cahaya1983 (10055)
@JudyEv has pretty much explained it. In this response your username doesn't come up in my text box because I'm responding directly to you, but I'm tagging Judy by typing her username because I'm referring to her response too. I only tag other users when I want to include them in my response/comment if it's relevant to them. Otherwise I don't.
• Staten Island, New York
There are instances when I do the same thing where a username appears automatically and somewhere it doesn't. Like say I am replying to responses on my own discussions. I can be replying to one person and username automatically appears and then I can reply to another person but it won't.
@cahaya1983 (10055)
@lovebuglena Well I know that if I type a response to your discussion, and say another person commented on my response, when you reply to that person's comment his/her username would appear. I hope I make sense but that's what I've noticed.
• Staten Island, New York
@cahaya1983 It seems to make sense.
@carebear29 (28537)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
it does help with gaining new followers
• Staten Island, New York
Oh that's interesting.
@carebear29 (28537)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
@lovebuglena yes it is youre welcome
@kobesbuddy (43563)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, I've noticed this also, at times I have to type their user name in. I'm not sure what the tag button is for, so never used it.
• Staten Island, New York
Tag button is to include tags aka keywords for whatever you are writing. The tags should be relevant to whatever you are writing.
@FayeHazel (17093)
I don't know the answer to your second question... however I like to tag someone who I don't think will see it otherwise